• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Call for entries: Muse Cup 2008

Barrel Char Wood Products

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
1st Annual Muse Cup

Mead-Only Competition

Hosted by The Liquid Poets

September 28, 2008

Northern Colorado's Liquid Poets home brew club invites you to enter Colorado's newest AHA/BJCP sanctioned mead-only competition.

Mead entries will be evaluated by experienced judges based on the 2008 BJCP Guidelines.

Hand-Crafted commemorative belt buckles will be awarded to First Place winners.

The winner of Best of Show will receive a special Hand-Crafted commemorative belt buckle.

Second and Third Place winners will also receive an award.

Entries from BJCP categories 24, 25 and 26 will be accepted. Additional catagories have been established for the 25C Other Fruit catagory: Berry/Cherry and "Palate-buster" for the hot pepper meads!

There are two non-BJCP categories in this competition - historical and best varietal honey.

Medals will be awarded for the historical and best varietal honey categories but entries will not be in Best of Show contention. For the historical category, additional documentation regarding the recipe and process must be attached to your entry. For the best varietal honey, honey flavor/type must be noted in comments section. For the best varietal honey category, meads may be entered separately in the appropriate category for medal consideration (would be two separate entries).

Muse Cup Rules

Categories
Each mead will be judged according to the 2008 BJCP guidelines. Meads of similar styles may be grouped together to allow for manageable judging sessions and reasonable competition. The top mead in each category will be judged in a final round to determine the Best of Show Mead. All meads will be judged at room temperature unless specifically requested otherwise.

Bottles
In an effort to be sensitive to the fact that mead is an expensive libation, an entry shall consist of one (1) bottle, 10 - 22 ounce, either corked or capped. Bottles must be clean of all paper, printed or enameled labels, label adhesive, misc. debris, or any other distinguishing features. Clear glass, and oversized (22 oz. or champagne) bottles are also acceptable. Printed crown caps are acceptable but must be blacked out completely with black marker to assure anonymity. Bottles will not be returned to entrants. Every effort will be made to re-cap the bottle with a tasting cork after the first round judging. If an entrant is concerned about the sparkling nature of a mead being lost, please send two bottles.

Online Registration
Each entry must have a single entry form ( http://www.flbrewer.org/muse/Web_Entry.htm) completed containing brewer and complete recipe information. Each bottle shall have a bottle identification form (print from online registration) attached with a rubber band to facilitate collection of forms; glue and/or tape are unacceptable. Please complete online forms and pay for entries either using PayPal or enclosing a check made out to Liquid Poets with your entry. Enter your mead according to the 2008 BJCP classifications; please see the BJCP website for a copy of these classifications. Please fill out the entry forms completely. Be meticulous about noting any special ingredients that must be specified per the BJCP Style Guidelines. Failure to note such ingredients may impact the judges' scoring of your entry.

Volunteers
Anyone interested in judging should contact the judge coordinator, Aaron Heaton (Aaron.Heaton@centerpartners.com).
Anyone interested in being a steward should contact the head steward, Emily Heaton (emhud2@hotmail.com).
Limitations
This competition is open to amateur mead-makers age 21 or older. Mead-makers are not limited to amount of entries per BJCP subcategory.

Entry Fees
An entry fee of $6 per entry will be collected on all entries. Either attach entry fee to the Entry and Recipe form or use the PayPal system online. Please make checks payable to Liquid Poets.
More Rules
All entries become property of the Liquid Poets. Infractions of these rules may disqualify any entry. Disqualified meads may still be judged but will not be eligible for awards. The judges may decide to not award any or all places in any category. The decision of the judges is final.

Where to Enter
Entries will be accepted from September 8th through close of business September 18th. Below is a list of shipping and drop off points.

Shipping Location:
Liquid Poets Muse Cup
c/o Hops & Berries
125 Remington Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524
(970) 493-2484
Email:
www.hopsandberries.com

Drop Off Locations:
Hops & Berries
125 Remington Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524
(970) 493-2484
www.hopsandberries.com

Hop to It!
2900 Valmont Rd. #D2
Boulder, CO
(303) 444-8888
www.stompthemgrapes.com

Beer at Home
1325 W. 121st Ave
Westminster, CO 80234
(720) 872-9463
www.beerathome.com

Judging
Judging will be on Sunday September 28, 2008. Judging sessions will be held at a location to be announced beginning at 9:00am. You do not need to be a registered BJCP judge to participate. If you have any questions about judging, please contact the Judge Coordinator, Aaron Heaton. Lunch will be provided for Judges and Stewards.

Additional Information
Please contact the Competition Co-coordinators, Pamela (lp.treasurer@gmail.com) or Sheron/Leonora (foxryde@foxryde.com) for additional information.

Webpage:

http://www.grotegang.com/liquidpoets/2008Muse.html

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
We are now accepting entries to the Muse Cup! Entries will be accepted until September 18!

Carry-in and mail-in sites are listed above or on the web-site.

We already have 11 entries, most coming from out-of-state!! This is going to be a lot of fun!

If you'd like to come help out, please let me know!

All the best,
Leonora

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Wish I could've entered this year.
Post the results when their in!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Muse Cup 2008 - A Success!!

Hey, everyone! I've gotta tell you that I had a great time at the Muse Cup which just concluded yesterday afternoon in Ft. Collins, CO. They had 64 different entries from over 30 different meadmakers, and many of them were from out of state. That's outstanding for a regional mead-only competition in their very first year of operation! The meads were great, and the judge pool for such a new event was quite impressive. I recommend that if you're looking to get some quality feedback on any of your meads in years hence, you now have another contest worth entering. Even better (although I don't know if they'll be able to keep this up as the contest grows), the entry requirements are for only one 12 oz. or larger bottle per mead entered.

I'm sure that Leonora will post the results as soon as she has the opportunity, but you'll see when she gets them up here that meadmakers from around the country are represented in the winners' roll.

And I have to say, as one of the judges, I appreciated all the very fine meads submitted by entrants that I got to taste! :drunken_smilie:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
RESULTS - Muse Cup 2008

In the Better Late than Never category --- here (attached) are the results from the 2008 Muse Cup. Apologies to those who have been patiently waiting. A combo of work and home obligations kept me from getting this posted earlier.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
So now that the show is over, are there pictures of those belt buckles we can see? ;)

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
I didn't get this done before they were handed out. I'll try to get a pic of one of the few that stayed local.

I've got the design for next years pretty much done!

Get those carboys working!

L

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns