PDA

View Full Version : Is this fruit safe? It's already fermenting!!

paulh
08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm thawing several bags of fruit to start a big multi-berry mel based on Mr.Schramm's recipe. All it's local grown, hand-picked by me, vacuum sealed and frozen.

Today I woke up to find the bag of red raspberries swolen like a Wyeast smack pack and ready to burst. Though I have been using only local ingredients whenever possible, I'm hesitant to use this now.

Should I toss this bag of red raspberries, or will sulfiting the must and waiting 24 hours prior to pitching knock out any wild yeast?

Should I just buy frozen reds from the store? I don't want to do this, but I suppose it's better than risking the entire batch.

Should I sulfite the remaining fruit anyhow, just as a precaution, knowing there is a risk present?

Huh... first I can't get my braggot to ferment, now I've got fermentation where I don't want it :BangHead:

Medsen Fey
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Some folks will leave the wild yeast in their batches knowing that the commercial strains are usually able to dominate and crowd them out of the fermentation, but the presence of the wild yeast adds flavor and complexity. Whether that flavor and complexity is a good thing or not may be unpredictable. You can smell and taste the fruit that has started, and see what you think.

If you do not want the flavor contributions that can come from having the wild yeast, I would say to sulfite the remaining fruit and don't use the bag that is already going.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a little excitement, take a walk on the wild side. ;D

Medsen

paulh
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I would say to sulfite the remaining fruit and don't use the bag that is already going.

I think this is what I will do. I just picked up a couple bags of frozen berries to replace what I won't be using.

paulh
08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
You can smell and taste the fruit that has started, and see what you think.

After dinner, I poured some of the fermenting reds over vanilla ice cream. Awesome!

Medsen Fey
08-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Waste not, want not!

ucflumberjack
08-26-2008, 09:41 PM
botulism?

Medsen Fey
08-26-2008, 10:00 PM
botulism?

Not in an acidic fruit mush.

ucflumberjack
08-27-2008, 10:08 AM
thats good to know. just thought i'd throw it out there. glad its not the case. must be wild yeast then. you should get a starter going that way and add it to some wort.... maybe you'd get something similar to a lambic?

paulh
08-27-2008, 01:37 PM
botulism?

:o

Clostridium botulinum is anaerobic. If it wasn't, I'm pretty sure a lot more of us would be dead.