PDA

View Full Version : carboy headspace

gabreyel69
08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
i am new to mead making and i have 2 batches fermenting one is in a ale pale I think they are 6.9 gallons while the other is in a 6.5 gallon carboy. does the headspace set me up for oxidation of my meads.
I have several 3 gallon carboys. i was thinking when it is time to rack for the first time I could split one batch into two 3 gallon carboys. i was going to rack onto some sort of fruit or spices for flavoring but i will still have quite a bit of headspace. Should i purge these with co2 and maybe blanket them with co2 prior to air locking them.
Also are there suggestion on what would be the best things to work with as far as flavors for a beginner any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
gabreyel

JamesP
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Oxygenation is an issue once fermentation has completed, and no more CO2 is being given off.

If you rack to smaller carboys, you can initially have headspace during fermentation to allow for foaming,
but the reduction in volume when you rack off the lees means you can rack to a smaller carboy and not have to top-up,

eg 6.5 gal -> 5 gal -> ....

Medsen Fey
08-27-2008, 10:44 PM
If you blanket with CO2, headspace becomes a non-issue.