PDA

View Full Version : fermintation

therecyclingviking
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I started my third mead... kind of my own recipe. I have it in the ferminter and it seems to be doing good. I have it in a 1 gallon glass jug with a towel rubber banded around the neck. I'm having a issue with the overflow. It seems to be overflowing alot. I didn't know if this was normal. Since I'm losing so much of the mead could I replace it with what I have left over. That didn't fit into the jug. Thanks for any help.

Tyred
09-04-2008, 07:38 AM
A little difficult to help much without knowing exactly what the recipe was.

How much space was left in the jug between the top of the brew and the top of the jug ? It possible that either A) there wasn't enough space left in the fermenter or B) a vigorous fermentation occurred. Unsure of which as I don't know what yeast was used or what the temperature was for fermentation.

If space in the fermenter is a problem then you could 'reserve' some of the unfermented, unyeasted brew to be added later - perhaps to be racked onto. This 'reserve' should be stored in a sanitized bottle and preferably refrigerated.

For vigorous fermentation, using a blow-off tube is good. Basically, it uses a bored bung (bored bungs can have an airlock put into them as well) and a length of tubing which can be put into a bottle. This will have the overflow go into the bottle. It is normally advisable to have some sort of sanitizer in the bottle to lessen the possibility of infection. The end of the tubing should be submerged in the sanitizer.

One small note - A towel is probably not the best substitute for a bung. If you can't get to a homebrew shop to get a bored bung and airlock, then you could use plastic wrap (with rubber bands to hold it on). For this to work, you will also have to make a pin-pick in the top to let the CO2 out. Replacing it when fermentation is complete and letting your brew age would also be good.

Medsen Fey
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Anti-foam drops (http://www.eckraus.com/INSTANT_ANTI/Page_1/FM210.html) - a great time (and mead) saver!

And yes, if you have some mead left after filling the jug, you can use it to top off now that there is more space.

akueck
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
When I make small (1 gal) batches, I often start them at a slightly higher OG than I intend and leave extra headspace. After a couple of days, I add a little water (usually a cup or two) to fill the headspace and bring the gravity down a little. Not as good as saving some sterile must to top off with, but it gets the job done.