PDA

View Full Version : NewBee Yeast question

cam07ds
09-05-2008, 01:08 PM
All I have a yeast question. I'm going to be starting a Sweet Orange mead and then a Saffron one next. These recipies both reccomend Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast. However I have been reading here about taste when left in the lees and woundred if K1-V116 would be a better choice. Any one have help on this question? Or another yeast reccomendation. The ingredients for both are below.
Thanks
Steve

# 15 pounds of honey
# 4 sachets Nutrient Blend
# 1 vial of Go-Ferm rehydration nutrient(12g), packed in a sterile 30 ml vial.
# 2 packets of yeast: Lalvin 71B-1122 “Narbonne”

# 15 pounds of White Sage Honey
# 4 sachets Nutrient Blend
# 1 vial of Go-Ferm rehydration nutrient(12g), packed in a sterile 30 ml vial.
# 2 packets of yeast: Lalvin 71B-1122 “Narbonne”
# 1 gram of Persian Saffron

Oskaar
09-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Hi Cam, and Welcome to Got Mead?

ICV-D47 is another yeast that would work well in these two recipes.

Where did you get those recipes, and what are the volumes you're shooting for?

Please advise,

Oskaar

cam07ds
09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Oskaar
Both of these are from Northern Brewer. They are both 5gal batches.
Thanks for the advice and welcome.
Steve

Wolfie
09-13-2008, 05:02 AM
71 B will produce some persistent yeasty flavors if left on the lees. The solution to this is to rack in a timely manner and it'll be fine, a small amount of contact wont do anything weird.
Don't worry about it too much. ;) 71 B is a great yeast and has made some of my most top notch meads (though for what it's worth a lot of people love D47 around here, not my fave, guess I'm weird)

best of luck

/wolfie

Oskaar
09-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Wolfie,

What general geographic region are you in? Curious about this as there seems to be a large concentration of 71B fans in the Great Lakes and outlying states (Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc.) Not a bad or a good thing, just wondering where you are. I'm seeing trends in general areas.

Thanks so much,

Oskaar