PDA

View Full Version : First try...

jsmith1488
09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Heilsa,

I am looking to try my hand at this for the first time. Can anyone suggest a method that will yield some traditional mead that does not require a brew master to make? And when I say I need something simple I MEAN SIMPLE.... Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

wayneb
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
If you want a purely "traditional" mead as in only honey, water and yeast as the ingredients, then keep the initial gravity under 1.100, use a yeast with a rated alcohol tolerance around 14%, and you'll end up with a drink that can be ready in fairly short order. You can't get simpler than that, although it turns out to be more difficult to make a "good" traditional mead than it might at first seem, since you have to pay close attention to fermentation management.

One recipe that most new meadmakers try is Joe's Ancient Orange. It is a 'set it and forget it' kind of recipe that uses more ingredients, but is so easy to mix up and make that few problems usually crop up - unless you change the recipe! ;) Use the Search function from the Gotmead Forum top level page and you'll find hundreds of posts on the JAO topic, which will give you all the info you'll need to make this very simple recipe -- and it is usually ready to drink in 90 days or so. Just follow the original recipe exactly and you'll likely have no issues.

jsmith1488
09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks!!!! I was actually trying to find that earlier. I think this is the one I would like to try first.

Thanks for all the help and a great forum!!!

jsmith1488
09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I did the search..... Could anyone link me to the "original" recipe?? It would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

wayneb
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I did the search..... Could anyone link me to the "original" recipe?? It would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Sure! Here it is, right from the source (and complete with all the "secret" herbs and spices!): http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2025.msg16008#msg16008

Remember -- Follow Joe's Directions! And yes, it does scale to a 5 gallon batch -- just multiply by 5.

jsmith1488
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I will be starting this one tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million guys!!!!