PDA

View Full Version : first cyser - yeast question

EBCornell
09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi all-
This is my first attempt at brewing (I refuse to count the Mr. Beer fiasco) and my first post here on the forum. I was inspired to try a cyser so I did my homework (read the GotMead NewBee guide, Papazian & Schramm) and ordered up the gear for my first 1 gallon batch.
The simple cyser recipe I'm planning on using is:
1 gallon Organic Apple Juice
2 lbs Clover Honey
Wyeast's Prise De Mousse 4021

My question is this: the yeast package is for a 5 gallon batch. Do I simply need to pour the contents into a sanitized measuring cup, divide by 5 and add the correct volume? It seems like the answer should be a simple "yes" and a smack on the back of my head, but I want to play it safe.
Thanks in advance!

Yo momma
09-20-2008, 08:58 AM
A Cyser as your first, I'm exited for you. It's ok, in my opinion, for you to use all the yeast in your gallon batch. All it will do is give your mead a strong population of yeast off the get go. Just make sure to shake the heck out of your batch for about a minute or so before you pitch your yeast and leave about 2 inches of head space for your mead to expand. After your mead starts to finish out, add more apple juice to fill up your carboy.

Welcome to gotmead?

EBCornell
09-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks very much for the quick reply! Maybe I'll go ahead and take the plunge tomorrow!
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon...
:cheers:

sandman
09-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I do it all the time. 1 gallon gets 1 yeast packet. 5 gallons gets 1 yeast packet (unless it's a special case that needs an extra boost to it's initial yeast population).

Wolfie
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!

Dont forget to rehydrate yr yeasts!
Good Luck!

/wolfie

EBCornell
09-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the welcomes...I'll use the whole packet, which I believe I just need to smash to mix the nutrient and yeast -- I don't believe any rehydration is needed.
Does anyone have any guesses on how long I should expect to be waiting until I rack? Or is that sort of thing dependent on too many other factors?

Oskaar
09-20-2008, 04:40 PM
....snip....
Does anyone have any guesses on how long I should expect to be waiting until I rack? Or is that sort of thing dependent on too many other factors?

You'll need to let the fermentation run to completion, so that will mean until there is one or two blips per minute in the airlock. Once you've done that then you'll need to let the mead clear completely and rack again. Then rack once more. The important thing is not to try and rack based on a time table. Rack when the mead is ready to be racked. Racking helps to clear, and once the mead is clear, and the gravity hasn't changed in a few months, then you'll be ready to bottle.

cheers,

Oskaar

EBCornell
09-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, I just started! My first batch is on its way...

I did run into more yeast worries though. When I smashed the packet (which has the helpful instructions of doing it "3 hours ahead of time OR pitching it in immediately"...really?) only one of the 2 nutrients pouches inside opened. Of course, I didn't know this until I opened the whole thing to pitch it. So I just cut open the 2nd pouch and poured it right into the carboy. How soon should I expect disaster?

Oskaar
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't expect disaster, otherwise you're doomed to have a disastrous ferment. Keep a PMA and aerate and dose with nutrient using any of the NAS/SNA regimens you see here on the forums. In other words be sure to aerate once or twice a day, and add nutrient after the lag phase and a couple of more small doses. If you don't know about nutrient dosing look it up here using the forum search tool. It is also explained in the newbee guide to mead making on the main site.

Cheers,

Oskaar

EBCornell
09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
What do NAS and SNA mean? A search didn't bring up any results?
I just did waaaaay too much math to figure out how to make a tiny batch of sanitizer to take care of the carboy cap so I can aerate the goodness for a while...listen for the volcano...

wayneb
09-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I'll answer for Oskaar since he's offline at the moment. They are abbreviations for "Nutrient Addition Schedule," and "Staggered Nutrient Addition."

EBCornell
09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks much. With that clarification I was able to pull up the info he was referring to. The recipe I'm using (pretty much Schramm's "Fall Bounty Cyser") doesn't make any reference to additions of nutrients. Is this just a given? Should I always assume that a recipe is calling for this sort of thing even if it doesn't specifically say so?

The shaking went without problems...now I'm trying hard to not sit in front of the carboy waiting for the bubbling in the airlock to finally start.......