• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Muse Cup 2008 Results

Barrel Char Wood Products

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Dear GMers,

Here is the results of the first Muse Cup! We were honored to have over a third of our entrants from out-of-state! We had 64 entries total. There were some amazing meads that we smacked our lips over. Congratulations to the winners! Your judges comment sheets and prizes will be mailed quickly.

We had a great time! I hope that more of you are able to join up next year (in person or by entry).

And a huge "THANK YOU" to our own Wayne B who came into town the day before and was my rock (as well as a rockin' IT guy). And then judged and helped clean up. Couldn't have done it without you, man.

(back to bed now, I'm 'zhausted)

Leonora

Muse Cup 2008
Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best of Show - Mead

Brewer Name Co-Brewers BrewName Style Place Club
Barry Weeg 24B 1st Unlisted AZ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group #241 - TRADITIONAL MEAD - Dry + TRADITIONAL MEAD - Semi-Sweet

Barry Weeg 24B 1st Unlisted AZ
Howard Curran McCollum Mead 24B 2nd Central Florida Home Brewers FL
Tim Hayner Semi-Sweet Mead 24B 3rd The Impaling Alers WA

Group #243 - TRADITIONAL MEAD - Sweet

Glenn & Dani Exline Snoggin Santa Under the Missletoe 24C 1st SAAZ (Spacecoast Associates for the Advancement of Zymurgy) FL
Colin Westcott Sweet Mead 24C 2nd CO
Ruben Archuleta Rose's Orange Blossom Mead 24C 3rd CO

Group #251 - MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Cyser + MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Pyment

Don Chapman 25B 1st CO
Dale Penrose 25A 2nd St. Louis Brews MO
Christian Warne New England Cyser 25A 3rd None MA

Group #253 - MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Other Fruit Mead + HISTORICAL MEAD +

Howard Curran Blue Heaven 25C 1st Central Florida Home Brewers FL
Kim Herald 25C 2nd Kearney Area Brewers NE
Don Chapman Peach Rhodomel 99 3rd CO

Group #254 - MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Berry/Cherry

Ted Manahan Choke Cherry Mead 25CB 1st CO
Colin Westcott Sweet Cheery Mead 25CB 2nd CO
John Sather Forgotten Soldier 25CB 3rd Central Florida Home Brewers FL

Group #261 - OTHER MEAD

Gordon Pencis Liquid Meth 26A 1st None CO
Howard Curran X'Mas Mead 26A 2nd Central Florida Home Brewers FL
Brent Langdon Cinnamon Vanilla Mead 26A 3rd Brewunion Colony CO

Group #262 - OTHER MEAD - Braggot

Luke Kostu Porter Braggot 26B 1st Woodbridge Homebrewers Ale & Lager Enthusiates Soc NJ
Kim Herald Autumn Spiced Braggot 26B 2nd Kearney Area Brewers NE
Pamela McAlpin Two Old Broads Equinox Braggot 26B 3rd CO

Group #263 - OTHER MEAD -Open Category Mead + MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Hot/Spicy Pallete Buster

Matt Kunze 26C 1st CO
Barry Weeg Oak Barrel Aged Cyser 26C 2nd Unlisted AZ
Gary Weston Blue Agave mead 26C 3rd Woodbridge Homebrewers Ale & Lager Enthusiates Soc NJ

Group #1001 - BEST VARIETAL MEAD

Howard Curran Yulee's Gold 100 1st Central Florida Home Brewers FL
deborah lee LSD (linden super dry) 100 2nd Hop Barley & the Alers CO
deborah lee morning buzz 100 3rd Hop Barley & the Alers CO

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
Thanks Lenora,

Congratualtions on such a good turnout! I was happy to participate, and even happier to place! Hopefully this is the beginning of a long tradition.

Cheers

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
This is fantastic news and it puts another top notch mead competition out there for mead enthusiasts. Congratulations and I hope this competition flourishes in the future!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
'doh! I forgot to take any pictures of the actual buckles. We have the master that we made them from. They were made with an ancient technique called "pressblech". A master is cast out of metal (bronze) and a thin sheet of metal (copper or brass) is hammered onto the master. The impression is taken by the sheet. These sheets were then wrapped around the base that was the actual buckle that we also made.

First places were copper, and the BOS was brass (gold).

There was the image of the Muse with her hair flowing all around the buckle and "Muse Cup 2008" on the buckle. They turned out really beautiful. I hope that you get to see one around.

Leonora

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
Leonora,

I took second in Group #253 - MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Other Fruit Mead + HISTORICAL MEAD + but I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember what I entered. Do you have any way of finding out for me? I remember the braggot, it's just the Melomel I forgot. :-[

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Dear GMers,

I will need some help with this - please give a shout out if you won/placed at the Muse Cup!

Come on, don't be shy! Let the community know and give you your just acclaim!

Leonora who was a co-brewer on the 3rd place Braggot.

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Summersolstice said:
I took second in Group #253 - MELOMEL (FRUIT MEAD) - Other Fruit Mead + HISTORICAL MEAD + but I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember what I entered. Do you have any way of finding out for me? I remember the braggot, it's just the Melomel I forgot. :-[

Kim? Right? You entered 3 times - one was 25C and had no name, one was 26C and was called "Coney Island Caramel Apple" and the other was your "Autumn Spiced Braggot". None of which I got to try.

Sorry, the 25C one had no name listed on the entry.

But you took 2nd with your Braggot and with your (other fruit) melomel.

Wayne, you have the final database, can you help out?

Winners - would you be willing to post your recipes in the Patron Section? That would be so cool!

All the best,
Leonora who was co-brewer on the 3rd place Braggot

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
Thanks Leonora. I remember the braggot because I've only ever made three of them and I'll be happy to post the recipe in the Patron's section. My home computer is in the shop for a tuneup so it may be a few days.

If it helps, the unnamed second place melomel was likely either a 4-year old raspberry or a 3-year old spiced tangerine. Too bad the caramel apple didn't do well - it's my favorite.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm having a hard time keeping a connection up long enough to post anything from my "dump away from home" here in Albuquerque -- I'll post the entire results when I get back home on Friday.

Sorry for the delay -- work intrudes on all the fun stuff. :angry3:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns