PDA

View Full Version : which airlock

dmerrick
10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
what does everyone think bubbler or 3 piece?
which do you prefer and why?
also is there something i put in the bulbbler? there are lines on it

Medsen Fey
10-03-2008, 09:52 AM
The three-piece is what I use most commonly. They seem to be less prone to suck back from what I see. It is also easy to attach a piece of plastic hose to the base of the 3-piece turning it into a blow-off tube when you have a vigorous fermentation.

The other ones look prettier, and are more interesting to watch.

wayneb
10-03-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm into prettier ;) so I've used nothing but the S-curve bubblers for nearly 30 years. They work fine for me, and I've never had a problem with "suck back" causing contamination in a batch.

paulh
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
3 piece for primary, bubbler for secondary. If you fill the bubbler to the lines, no liquid should get sucked back into the fermenter.

dmerrick
10-03-2008, 06:29 PM
so it's prefrence?
are there any advantages ither way you go?

Odinsson
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
When I got mine the guy at the shop showed me both, the 3 piece one looked more complicated so I just went with the S curve one. If you are worried about w/e is in there getting sucked back in you can always fill it to the lines with a little vodka or something like it, doesnt take much, less then half a shot glass Id say.

dmerrick
10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
When I got mine the guy at the shop showed me both, the 3 piece one looked more complicated so I just went with the S curve one.

is there anything you have to do with the 3 piece one?
and i just fill it such that both the lines are filled with water for the s curve one?

Odinsson
10-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah just fill it with w/e to the lines on both sides. You can take the grate like thing off the top and just pour water in there, it works fine but if you do it too fast it does go over. I never really fill it up all the way to the lines and none ever gets sucked back in.

dmerrick
10-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah just fill it with w/e to the lines on both sides. You can take the grate like thing off the top and just pour water in there, it works fine but if you do it too fast it does go over. I never really fill it up all the way to the lines and none ever gets sucked back in.

for the s curve the 3-piece or both, sorry, these things should come with instructions

dmerrick
10-04-2008, 08:40 PM
wait im looking at the beginners guide(which i had read before but must not have fully comprehended it
i just saw a picture there which should bring some light on this lol

robodeath
03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
It really seems like its personal preference. I would buy one of each and see which you like better. I had used the 3pieces forever till recently I got an S and like it better.