PDA

View Full Version : stupidest question ever! :)



maenad
10-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Really, really dumb of me... does anyone have an idea as to what to do now?

I was trying out joe's ancient orange.

Decided to use bleach solution, followed by hot water, to sterilize.

I used the bleach solution, started to use the hot water (did the bottom half of the carboy), got distracted, dumped the water... and didn't finish clearing out the bleach solution.

Then I merrily carried on adding honey and orange segments and yeast. It was only when I was putting in the airlock that... oops. Oh damn.

I can't smell the bleach - (but I do have a cold.)

So what's going to happen?
Will the bit-of-bleach left in the bottle kill the yeast?
Will the taste be masked, but I'll die a dreadful death from drinking mead laced with bleach?

Should I give up now, dump it, and make it fresh tomorrow? Or might it work, and turn into a great mead with an after-taste of swimming pool?

Medsen Fey
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome maenad!

The question is not stupid.

If you can't smell the bleach, you are fine - if your nose is stopped up, get someone else to give it a sniff. The yeast should work without problem. If you can smell bleach, I wouldn't throw it out, but would try to ferment it - the CO2 produced may scrub off the chlorine odor.

This is why I favor no-rinse sanitizers.

Medsen

skunkboy
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, if there is a lot of bleach left in there, the yeast will probably never take off, which should be an obvious sign of badnes...

liff
10-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Will the taste be masked, but I'll die a dreadful death from drinking mead laced with bleach?

Not likely. Link (http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile49b.stm)

"Disinfection using bleach works best with warm water. Add 1 drop (0.05 mL) of bleach to 1 Litre of water, shake and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before drinking. Double the amount of bleach for cloudy water or for cooler water. A slight chlorine odour should still be noticeable at the end of the 30-minute waiting period if you have added enough bleach. The longer the water is left to stand after adding bleach, the more effective the disinfection process will be."

So if you can smell the bleach, it is still good to drink.

Either way, I'd ferment it and let us know how it goes.