PDA

View Full Version : Was clear before bottling, Now cloudy after 2 months.

gelfling6
10-10-2008, 10:59 AM
:icon_scratch: Okay, 1st off, I admit, I'm a total Newbee..

3rd batch of a clove-metheglin mead. I racked it for the full 9 months, when it left the 2nd carboy, it was totally clear,
but since it had been bottled, and sitting for 2 months, I noticed the last 10 bottles (I've already distributed 3 to friends, and consumed 2.) had become cloudy. (roughly about as cloudy as the 1st carboy was 2 weeks after the initial racking.) Did I miss something, and did it get contaminated? :sad2: :help:

The bottled were both heat (boiled) & Potassium-metabisulfate sterilized.. likewise majority of the equipment. (what couldn't fit into the stock-pot, was hand-washed & the Metabisulfate flushed through.)

I also noticed a slight Licorice like taste, that wasn't in the 1st batch..

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.. Stephen

Medsen Fey
10-10-2008, 11:20 AM
If you can give us the particulars of the recipe and your process, with as much detail as possible, you may get better answers.

Medsen

gelfling6
10-10-2008, 07:08 PM
If you can give us the particulars of the recipe and your process, with as much detail as possible, you may get better answers.

Medsen

The recipe is roughly based on the one in the book, "Wild Wines & Meads", ISBN-13: 9781580171823

The recipe is identical to the one in the book, but with a few changes because of availability, and self variation ideas.

changes:

Wildflower & Clover honey, instead of Orange Blossom. (Only type available from a local aviary, which produces in bulk.)
Whole Orange minus the rind (pureed the pulp & sections) with just under a teaspoon of grated rind added to the must mixture
Jasmine Green Tea, instead of just plain jasmine tea. (though I may've read this wrong, may be 1 and same)

1st batch was good, Still have one bottle left (2 yrs old, no cloudiness, minor sediment in bottle, hey it was my 1st attempt.), Super strong clove flavor. (OOPS! too much!)

2nd batch, developed a mold on top of the 1st racked. (as I read here, Could've saved it, but didn't know at the time. dumped.)

This is the 3rd batch.. backed way off on the clove amount (down to 1/3 original amount.)..

The thing is, it was completely clarified & clear, when I bottled it.. Within 2 months, it developed the cloudiness while in the sealed bottles. (composite corks, 1st batch had traditional corks.)

Getting ready to head to a faire up here in Connecticut, so unable to type entire recipe.. (time required.) I was kind of hoping to bring a bottle, but if it's truly gone bad, I don't want to push my luck.

Tyred
10-11-2008, 04:08 AM
It may be possible that it has started fermenting again after being bottled. It's difficult to say without knowledge of the particulars of the brew, in particular the type of yeast used and starting and final gravities.

If there are other mead makers at the faire you could take a bottle and ask what they think. They might be able to help as well.