• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Find. Question.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Thewayshemoves

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 25, 2008
OK, so I made some Mead (not technically, but I can't remember what it's called when it's made with herbs). I made this over a year ago in a glass gallon jar in which I cut a hole in the top and stuck an airlock on and sealed the hole with pine tar (I'm not made of money and do what I can). After a few months I took the airlock off and strained the mead into another jar through a typical cooking strainer which doesn't have very small holes. The point of that was to get the larger chunks of herbs and spices out. Then something happened and I was in a hurry so I just partially put a regular lid back over the jar (I screwed the lid down about halfway so the co2 could still escape, just in case). Well, the point of the story, I completely forgot about the mead. It's been well over a year, maybe even close to two and I was digging around in my cellar when I found it. It's still in the jar and the top is still half on it. The mead is a nice clear amber color and there's a lot of sediment (I assume dead yeat and plant matter) at the bottom. I've never made wine or mead or anything before and I've never actually even seen mead aside from pics online. Can anyone tell me if this looks ok?

glare.jpg

This is just from the side with a terrible glare
closeup.jpg

Just a close-up
held.jpg

Here's me holding up so you can see the whole thing, sort of.
bottomup.jpg

This is like a close-up diagonal shot from bottom up to top, if that makes sense.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Looks OK from here.

Best way is to theive a glass off and check for reductive, infection or spoilage aromas (ass, sulfur, horse blanket, cat urine, rotten eggs, spoiled fruit, etc.) If you don't get any of those take a very small taste (like 25 ml) and if it tastes like any of the abovementioned flavors, pitch it. If not, rack it agin and enjoy.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Thewayshemoves

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 25, 2008
Hey thanks man, it doesn't really smell bad, I'm not sure how mead is supposed to smell, but it's not bad. The taste reminds me of wine/beer/clover-scent...if that makes sense? It has a hint of licorice, but I did use a lot of herbs that would resemble that.

Tyred

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 11, 2005
Looks like it cleared up very well. Sounds like the smell is about right, but then I haven't made a herb mead yet. You could probably tell more from a taste of it.

Thewayshemoves

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 25, 2008
Well, I tasted it and I didn't die or get sick. I went on to taste another cup or two and I'm still alive and not sick. I'm going to rack and bottle it tomorrow and let it age in the bottles some more. Since I've accidentally let it age for almost two years, I'm going to let it age some more and see if I can't create a bottle or two of good vintage mead. To be made so ghetto like it was it turned out far above my expectations. I'm going to assume the climate in my cellar did this, cause it sure wasn't my newbie self, haha.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns