PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Dilemma

hany
10-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Here is the scenario...

I have 32 cases of mead and wine that I made with my friends in Washington state and are now ready. This summer I moved to New York state. I need to ship them here. But I see all the restrictions and regulations that go with commercial wineries shipping wine. I can't imagine how many hoops I must jump through to ship homebrewed wine.

Aside from finding someone driving across country with a spacious vehicle and space to spare, does anyone know how this can be done ?

Thanks
H

Odinsson
10-27-2008, 02:34 AM
If your shipping it to yourself and no money is changing hands there really shouldn't be that much trouble right?

hany
10-27-2008, 11:46 AM
in a reasonable world, I would say yes, but...

I actually talked to UPS and they need to have a contract with the person shipping the wine/mead...and in order for that to occur, that person has to have a license...which means he/she has to be a commercial winery...and so on

Basically, they are not concerned with who's hands it leaves and enters or what monetary transaction occurs. their thinking only goes so far as 'We are shipping a controlled substance and need to cover our asses with respect to big brother'

What about the rights of the home meadmaker or vintner I ask you ?

Thanks anyway

Odinsson
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Have you tried other companies? USPS, DHL, FedEx? Obviously you can't use a regional company but a national fly by night company that is sorta off the books might have to be used.

Kee
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
The big three logistic companies all have the same regs about shipping alcohol. You must be commercial. It would also be VERY cost prohibitive! I'm sure USPS has the same regs.

Check with a moving company rather than a shipping company. You might have more luck with that kind of volume.

Oskaar
10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
You might also want to check with your local wineshop to see if they will ship it. They can move that kind of volume as well.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Odinsson
10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
With the moving company, since you are moving across the country are you taking your stuff? If so then just put it in boxes that say fragile and don't mention it.

buildmark
10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
liquor stores have licenses and are able to ship. ;) ;) I'm sure you can find one willing to put their return label on the box for you for a price.

The other alternative is to not disclose that the contents are alcohol to the shipper. Tell them it's homemade soda pop or something like that. Of course, that being illegal, I wouldn't do that. ;)

hany
10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The moving company would be cost-prohibitive I think. I don't know if UPS would buy that I bottled soda pop in corked wine bottles, but maybe. And I have already moved. So the wine remains behind in the hands of my brewing partner.

Right now I'd say finding someone driving across country on Craigslist (once the weather warms up again) still tops my list of options.

Brew On
Hany

Moonshae
10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
T don't know if UPS would buy that I bottled soda pop in corked wine bottles, but maybe.

UPS isn't going to open your boxes. In fact, they don't usually ask what's in the boxes you're going to ship domestically. As long as you package your boxes well so that the bottles are protected, UPS isn't going to care.

Oskaar
10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
UPS isn't going to open your boxes. In fact, they don't usually ask what's in the boxes you're going to ship domestically. As long as you package your boxes well so that the bottles are protected, UPS isn't going to care.

Well, I have to call you on this one. I've been with people trying to ship mead and the UPS counter person asked them straight up if they were shipping liquids, and then went on to warn them that they don't ship alcohol. I've also been asked by UPS counter folks if I was shipping "booze" to which I replied "why do you ask?" UPS also has the disclaimers and warnings about shipping alcohol in plain view at all of the depots that I've been to here in So Cal.

FedEX on the other hand has never asked me what I'm shipping. They just want to know the weight and where it's going.

Cheers,

Oskaar

skunkboy
10-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Most moving companies won't touch liquids anymore. One of the local homebrewers moved to California and ended up giving away most of his product cause he couldn't move it himself, along with his kids in his vehicle.