PDA

View Full Version : Bizarro physics with my latest mead...

CBiebel
10-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Okay, I have a batch of traditional mead that I made to fix the problem I had with a "too much nutrient" problem for a 1 gallon batch (I used enough nutrients for 5 gallons instead of 1 gallon). I used 10 lbs of honey for 4 gallons, then added the gallon of "nutrient overdosed" mead to that.

Everything seems to be fine, although since I've put it into the secondary, I haven't been mixing it as much. The last couple of times I swirled the carboy, a strange thing happened. This is where the bizarro physics comes into play. I see the CO2 foaming up a little bit from the mead, yet the airlock seems to go in the opposite direction, as if the pressure is going down in the carboy instead of up! The more I swirl, the more it moves backwards!

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Tyred
10-29-2008, 07:10 AM
What sort of airlock is it ? The only thing I can think of is optical illusion.

wayneb
10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Actually, the physics isn't likely bizarro - what you're possibly seeing is the effect of a colder than ambient must that slightly chills the air inside the carboy when it is swirled. Are you sure that CO2 is being released from the must when you swirl it, or is that just some foaming that is resulting from mixing up the must a bit?

If it really is releasing CO2, and you've checked to make sure that the airlock is oriented the way you think it is, then I have only one more question to ask... how many glasses of mead do you routinely have before swirling your carboys?? ;)

paulh
10-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Has anyone seen anything like this?

Yes, once when lagering. Sudden chilling of the beer caused the airlock to bubble the "backwards" .

CBiebel
10-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, after thinking about it a while, I figured it probably was a temperature thing. Stupid Ideal Gas Laws!