PDA

View Full Version : Is it to late to add pectic enzyme?

Sunny
10-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I started a batch that my husband named Tri-Colore (being Ducati fans)...but I forgot to add pectic enzyme to it. it's been over 6 weeks and fermentation has stopped. It has not cleared much at all. Should I try adding some pectic enzyme when I rack this weekend or is it too late?

Recipe:

9/13/08
14 lbs wildflower honey
2 lbs clover honey
1 lb "pure" honey (?)
filled to 5 gallons with spring water
Lalvin d-47 hydrated per package instructions

9/23
added 1 tsp nutrient and .5 tsp energizer (kinda random...I had not yet learned about Aeration and Staggered Nutrient additions)

10/01/08 racked onto 3 cans (3 lbs each) of blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry "Oregon Fruits Puree"

swirled daily

10/13 racked off sediment

been swirling daily
(still a lot of sediment...smells amazing!)

Thanks for your help as I learn...

wayneb
10-30-2008, 11:37 PM
It is never strictly speaking, too late. However pectinase enzymes are significantly slowed in the presence of ethanol, so the addition will work more slowly in a finished mead than if added at the start of fermentation. Give it a go -- there will be no harm in it, and it will improve things... eventually!

Dan McFeeley
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
To echo Wayne's post -- enzymes are protein based, and alcohol will denature them. Give it a try, it may still help.

On the other hand, it's hard to say what is causing the haze. Could also be colloidal material from the honey.

I'd suggest letting it sit for a good long time, to see if it clears on its own. This could easily take several months, sometimes longer. Sparkaloid, a fining agent used in winemaking, works very well with mead. If the mead doesn't clear on its own in time, try using sparkaloid.

Sunny
10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate your helps... :wave: