PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Vicky!

wildaho
11-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm liking the looks of the new forum. I haven't got all the navigation figured out yet but I like what I see so far. I'm not too sure about the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" feature :eek: though. It seems quite a bit snappier speed wise compared to the older version too.

I know you guys have busted your humps to make this happen and I just want to say THANKS!

Oskaar
11-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Yup, getting better and better. We're going through stuff now and testing the last of the user settings. Everything is pretty good at this point. This is some very powerful software and a great forum with lots of features for the users and administrators.

webmaster
11-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I've spent most of a year messing with this package, and am *still* finding settings and functions. Like Oskaar says, its powerful. There are a *lot* of add-ons, and you'll see them coming online over the next couple weeks as I work out the kinks. :rolleyes:

skunkboy
11-09-2008, 03:13 AM
Nice! Woot! And very green! ;-)

WRATHWILDE
11-09-2008, 03:46 AM
I notice it shows which forum has unread posts by the icon next to it, but is it still possible to see all unread posts in one screen? And if so, where is the option located?

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

EBCornell
11-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Great stuff! But it was the longest day EVER -- starting a new batch without the infinite wisdom of the GotMeaders!

shughes
11-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I am not sure if DNS is setup properly for the gotmead.com domain.

If you try and type in gotmead.com in a web browser its trying to resolve to www.gotmead.com.com

I have seen this before and was wondering if the DNS zones are setup properly.

Medsen Fey
11-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm finding it very disorienting, but then I'm not good with change. It is pretty though.

Medsen Fey
11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
It seems that a lot of the smilies are not showing up in old posts - I hope all of our little friends are making the transition over as well.

webmaster
11-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Working on it....the smileys we had in the old software were an add-on for that specific package, so I have to do something similar here. I'll put it on the list of tweaks to do as I fine-tune this thing....

UDV
11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
I like it, except for the awful green background. :)

Good catch on http://gotmead.com not resolving. It works again. :)

webmaster
11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Got the DNS issue fixed, it was a typo in the htaccess file.

Awful green background, eh? And you would suggest.....?:rolleyes:

webmaster
11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I notice it shows which forum has unread posts by the icon next to it, but is it still possible to see all unread posts in one screen? And if so, where is the option located?

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Top menu, 'New Posts'.

webmaster
11-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Old smileys have been added, click the more icon when creating posts......

fatbloke
11-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Well I haven't found "it" yet Vicks, the colour theme option that is.....

Cos compared to the old scheme, damn that green is bright!

Apart from that, well done. It looks like the same software that's used on a couple of other forums I post at.

regards

fatbloke

Oskaar
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
LOL Green is the GM color so learn to love and embrace it LOL

We'll be fine tuning so there will be some changes that are noticable and others that will be un-noticable to the end user.

Got Mead Green, get it, rent it, watch it, live it!

Got Mead - We're a green website with a small environmental footprint.

Cheers,

Pete

Dan McFeeley
11-11-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm on board now, the new site looks really great -- it'll be fun tooling around and getting to know it.

I'm voting for GotMead green -- looks great to me!

Thanks Vicky and Pete for all your hard work. You guys are great!

webmaster
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Aww, thanks Dan!!

Pewter_of_Deodar
11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I like the new look... very nice Vicki!

buildmark
11-13-2008, 11:41 AM
other forums that I go to that use vbulletin, enable the feature where you can change the default color scheme to another preset one. I'm sure that's not at the top of the list.

Vbulletin is the best forum software made, in my opinion. But there are an awful lot of settings/permissions.

webmaster
11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Buildmark,

We really don't have making multiple templates on the list of things to do, I'm afraid. That list is about 10 miles long, LOL, and there's only the two of us.

Angus
11-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, my McLaren ancestry likes the green. Green is fresh, clean, life. Perhaps add a little blue in the background, then some broad black stripes, and maybe a couple of red stripes with a yellow one in between them, and that would look awesome!

http://www.scotlandshop.net/images/swatches/m%20200x200/maclaren-mod-200.jpg

;)

Angus

webmaster
11-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Ah, weel, laddie. since I'm a Robertson meself, I canna in good conscience put in another clans' wee plaidie in place of my own, now can I?

doctajones
11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
New icons for forums with new posts are great! A new GM logo kicks the pants out of a lame open file folder any day!

WRATHWILDE
11-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately "New Posts" is not the same as "Unread posts". The difference being that if I read any posts on the old software, then the next time I clicked on unread posts, the posts I just read would be absent from the list. The new posts link is just that, the most recent posts whether you've read them or not, not nearly as useful for those of us on several times a day. New Posts, click on topic... shit, not new... already read that one. What tipped me off first was that if I just posted a reply in the old software, then clicked on "Unread Posts" the post I just made wouldn't be there because I have in fact already read it.

This new software, I submitted a post, then looked in "New Posts" and there it is. I then went through and read every post in the new post section. If I did this in the Old Software, then the next time I clicked "Unread posts" it would tell me there are no Unread Posts. I click on New Posts, and there there are, every post that I have already read.

So sorry, still looking for a UNREAD POSTS link... so we don't have to wade through the entire forum menu and browse each board looking for unread posts. Let me know when you find it, it was absolutely the most used feature for me on the old site. My home page was automatically "Unread Posts". Alternatively "New Posts" does not allow you to bookmark that as your home page because it auto generates a search id #.

OK, that was the problem I'd been having until just now, the "New Posts" link seems to have been updated from

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?searchid=915
to
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew

Which is what I was looking for earlier. And it even lets me bookmark it now, I was getting an error before as being not a valid search. What ever you did to fix it while I was typing... THANKS!!

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

Oskaar
11-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately "New Posts" is not the same as "Unread posts". The difference being that if I read any posts on the old software, then the next time I clicked on unread posts, the posts I just read would be absent from the list. The new posts link is just that, the most recent posts whether you've read them or not, not nearly as useful for those of us on several times a day. New Posts, click on topic... shit, not new... already read that one. What tipped me off first was that if I just posted a reply in the old software, then clicked on "Unread Posts" the post I just made wouldn't be there because I have in fact already read it.

This new software, I submitted a post, then looked in "New Posts" and there it is. I then went through and read every post in the new post section. If I did this in the Old Software, then the next time I clicked "Unread posts" it would tell me there are no Unread Posts. I click on New Posts, and there there are, every post that I have already read.

So sorry, still looking for a UNREAD POSTS link... so we don't have to wade through the entire forum menu and browse each board looking for unread posts. Let me know when you find it, it was absolutely the most used feature for me on the old site. My home page was automatically "Unread Posts". Alternatively "New Posts" does not allow you to bookmark that as your home page because it auto generates a search id #.

OK, that was the problem I'd been having until just now, the "New Posts" link seems to have been updated from

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?searchid=915
to
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew

Which is what I was looking for earlier. And it even lets me bookmark it now, I was getting an error before as being not a valid search. What ever you did to fix it while I was typing... THANKS!!

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

LOL, Vicky, you owe me $5!

Jay212
11-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree totally, you guys did a tremendous job and the new site looks great! Of course, the old was nice too, but this one's shiny and new :)

:cheers:

Great job!

webmaster
11-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Paypaled to ya, Pete.

Wrath, didja check out the little 'unread posts' link in the right-hand side of the bar directly under the logo?

capoeirista13
11-14-2008, 02:00 AM
just wanted to say the site looks great, and thanks for existing! This might just be me but the site seems to be moving faster than it used to, and the new setup is nice, a lot easier to navigate in my opinion, nice job! Thanks for everything you do for the site, don't know where I'd be without GotMead, but it would probably be without mead somewhere.

WRATHWILDE
11-14-2008, 08:35 AM
You did a great job, both of you. Vicky Email me your address and I'll send you a couple of bottle of mead. I've still Got Oskaar's info, but I have a feeling this PBakulic character will hijack that too.

PS Oskaar, am I ever going to get a chance to taste that Recipe contest mead?

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

Angus
11-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Robertson, you say. Royalty! Or jam makers.

Sheep farmers and swordsmen on my side. It was sure a dangerous place to be for sheep and enemies alike at closing time in the Highlands.

Angus

1BraddogsBBQ
11-14-2008, 09:20 AM
It does look great! I like the green color makes me want to make some money, or go drive a John Deere Tractor... LOL

Thanks y'all

Dave

Oskaar
11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
You did a great job, both of you. Vicky Email me your address and I'll send you a couple of bottle of mead. I've still Got Oskaar's info, but I have a feeling this PBakulic character will hijack that too.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

Yessiree Bob you will!

It's much bigger than I first anticipated and is still young if you can believe that. The mountain pecan honey is bigger in my opinion than any buckwheat or avocado I've tired. I'm pretty sure I have your addy still, so I'll send you something to hold you over until it's really ready to pop!

Too bad we lost our other guy in the mean time, but I'm sure we can still track him down, after all. He is in Ohio!!

Cheers,

PMB

webmaster
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

Thanks Wrath. Check your PM.......

webmaster
11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Robertson, you say. Royalty! Or jam makers.

Sheep farmers and swordsmen on my side. It was sure a dangerous place to be for sheep and enemies alike at closing time in the Highlands.

Angus

Perhaps royalty. Haven't gotten the family line back that far yet. We might be Irish, LOL....there are Robertsons in both countries...

webmaster
11-14-2008, 01:22 PM
It does look great! I like the green color makes me want to make some money, or go drive a John Deere Tractor... LOL

Thanks y'all

Dave

LOL...I *am* a redneck Southerner........and was a redneck Yankee before that.

Medsen Fey
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi Vicky,

As I get more comfortable with the new layout, I really am liking it.

The old software used to give you a notice if someone else had posted while you were typing a reply to give you the chance to review it before making your new post. Is that a feature that can be activated here so that we don't trip over each other.

Also, I noticed the little spell checker button in the upper right corner which led me to download ieSpell. My Goodness, that makes life so much easier - not just here, but anywhere you are posting material. What a nifty tool. Thank you again.

Medsen

webmaster
11-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Vicky,

As I get more comfortable with the new layout, I really am liking it.

The old software used to give you a notice if someone else had posted while you were typing a reply to give you the chance to review it before making your new post. Is that a feature that can be activated here so that we don't trip over each other.

Also, I noticed the little spell checker button in the upper right corner which led me to download ieSpell. My Goodness, that makes life so much easier - not just here, but anywhere you are posting material. What a nifty tool. Thank you again.

Medsen

Dunno Medsen, I haven't seen it yet, there are about 1500 settings in this thing. We find new ones every day, it seems. I'll look around after I finish fixing one of my computers that just crashed.

Glad you like the spelling tool......

Oskaar
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks y'all

Dave

Have you seen The Straight Story ?

webmaster
11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Have you seen The Straight Story ?

Was that supposed to be linked?

Oskaar
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
No, I was just naming the title of the movie, I figured folks could hit it on IMDB if they were interested LOL!

Oskaar
11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
We have the updated and improved Got Mead logo up and running, and we've gone completely green baby!

Woo hoo!

1BraddogsBBQ
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
So, are we saying Vicky play's the part of Rose (Sissy Spacek), a kind woman with a mental disability and you Oskar plays the part of Alvin ? (Alvin's legs and eyes are too impaired for him to receive a license, he hitches a trailer to his recently purchased thirty year-old John Deere Lawn tractor and sets off on the 240-mile journey from Laurens, Iowa to Mount Zion, Wisconsin.)
LOL

webmaster
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
So, are we saying Vicky play's the part of Rose (Sissy Spacek), a kind woman with a mental disability and you Oskar plays the part of Alvin ? (Alvin's legs and eyes are too impaired for him to receive a license, he hitches a trailer to his recently purchased thirty year-old John Deere Lawn tractor and sets off on the 240-mile journey from Laurens, Iowa to Mount Zion, Wisconsin.)
LOL

Never seen it......

Oskaar
11-15-2008, 04:19 AM
LOL

Um, no, just a simple movie reference having to do with a John Deere tractor. Jesus, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

fatbloke
11-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Um, no, just a simple movie reference having to do with a John Deere tractor. Jesus, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Ha ha! you forget though Osk, that some of us are cynical/sceptical enough to see hidden meaning or ulterior motive in pretty much anything.

"a cigar is just a cigar" ???? Not according to "the dark haired bint" and Bill Clinton :rolleyes:

regards

fatbloke

1BraddogsBBQ
11-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Ha ha! you forget though Osk, that some of us are cynical/sceptical enough to see hidden meaning or ulterior motive in pretty much anything.

"a cigar is just a cigar" ???? Not according to "the dark haired bint" and Bill Clinton :rolleyes:

regards

fatbloke

That's funny right there!

Just kidding round y'all..

Oskaar
11-15-2008, 01:30 PM
That's funny right there!

Just kidding round y'all..

LOL, yeah me too. Clinton put a whole new "spin" on cigars, that's for sure. Those and blue party dresses! :eek:

UDV
11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
LOL Green is the GM color so learn to love and embrace it LOL

Got Mead - We're a green website with a small environmental footprint.

LOL. By viewing Gotmead we're helping the environment! We encourage bottle reuse!