PDA

View Full Version : pectic enzyme

shughes
11-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I am making the Fall Bounty Cyser pretty much as written. If I used pasteurized juice (TJ) should I have added some pectic enzyme? I was wondering if the tannins from the raisins served this purpose.

EBCornell
11-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I just started a New England cider yesterday using some Trader Joe's cider. It also has raisins in it and I did go ahead and add 5 drops of pectic enzyme solution to my 1 gallon batch. Not sure about what the raisins will do naturally.
Also on this subject, when do folks recommend adding the enzyme? I've been adding it to the must immediately before I pitch my yeast, but I read elsewhere yesterday (had to get my brewing fix somewhere while GM was down) that some folks add the enzyme 12 hours before the yeast. Thoughts?

dogglebe
11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
You should always use pectic enzyme when working with apple cider (and most other fruit juices). It breaks down the pectins in the juice, allowing for a clearer drink.

I've always put it in prior to pitching the yeast. The enzymes don't work as well when there's alcohol present.

Phil

Oskaar
11-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Just to clarify (get it?) pectinase (pectic enzyme) is best applied with dealing with pasteurized or heated juices of just about any kind. If your juice is unprocessed/raw and you don't heat it, there's no need to add pectinase.

I don't add it to my cysers or ciders and have had zero issues with clearing in either.

Hope that helps.

shughes
11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
thanks, that helps. I am going to go without. I noticed when browsing the forums that some use it and some don't.

the cyser fermentation is much more active then my first two traditional meads. its definitely more then one bubble per second. the first 36 hours saw a drop from 1.110 to 1.080.