PDA

View Full Version : Cyser!

beekind
11-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Oops! i, uh, eyeballed my honey addition to a one gallon batch of cyser, and, well, my eyeballs shouldn't always be trusted. after doing some math, i realized that i had put in 4.5# of honey. the OG was slightly over 1.170 at about 65F and i did drop in some fermax. i used lalvin ec-1118, which wasn't the plan, but i decided to use that after i realized my mistake with the honey.
i'm going to ride it out; i'm kinda curious as what's going to happen.
anything i should do or keep in mind (like nutrient additions, etc.)?
oh yeah, it's been bubbling away for about three weeks.
thanks

Yo momma
11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Well the obvious questions are:

What is your current SG and at what rate has it fermented?
What does it taste like, smell, look.......?
What is your ph?

Without that info then our answers are a guess at best. If you could answer those first then we would be better able to help.

Medsen Fey
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the new and improved* GotMead? beekind!

If you can give us the info Yo Momma mentions you may get better answers, but if you start with a gravity of 1.170 and don't add nutrients (and don't aerate), you can almost bet on a stuck fermentation. If I was forced to pick a number I'd say at around 1.070, but that's just a wild guess.

I hope I'm wrong.

Medsen

* A lovely green with white stripes. It's manly yes, but I like it too! :D

beekind
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM
the OG was 1.170, and the current SG is 1.090. it's been going for about three weeks. when i started the batch, i aerated and added about 1/8th tsp of Fermax. i don't have ph test strips to test the ph. the smell...hmm...smells like immature, strong cider.
yeah...i gladly bow to your wisdom as to how to make sure this thing'll make it to a nice, low FG.
thanks (and thanks for the kind welcome)