PDA

View Full Version : Making a Dry mead Sweet...

Clove
11-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Hello all,

I recently posted an inquiry about a batch of my mead that had little floating bits at the top of it; it was deduced that these were simply yeasties that had been carried to the top. I would like to thank everyone who helped me in learning this, as well as those who offered advice to help me better my batch.

It is now that I come with a separate inquiry. I took a quick sample of my other batch(started Oct 15), a plain honey (~3.5 pounds of clover and wildflower), yeast (Lalvin K1-V116), and water (total amount= 1 Gallon) brew, and noticed that it is tasting much drier than I expected or wanted. The main reason I checked it at all however is that it has cleared quite rapidly over just the last week and a half, to the point of being able to read a large print book through the jug. I am not sure, but I dont recall reading of many meads that clear so quickly.

I know that the SG reading is the one true way to determine the doneness of fermentation, but would the clarity be a sign that fermentation is almost complete? And would I be able to rack this batch onto more honey to add to the sweetness and ABV? I know that these questions are rather elementary, but in unfamiliar endeavors, it is always most wise to consult expert knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any input.

wildaho
11-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Clove,

Clarity is no indicator. Spend the $10 on a hydrometer. Otherwise you are just guessing. It is the single most important investment you can make for brewing. Period. End of story.

The Mead Calculator (link is off to your left) shows an estimated OG of 1.128 with a PABV of 17.34%. Your 1116 yeast has a tolerance of 16% (link is to the left again). It may or may not take your must all the way to dryness depending on nutrition, aerations, etc.

There are several hundred posts in the forum dedicated to backsweetening a finished mead. A forum search on backsweetening will answer your question for that. In a nutshell: cold crash, add sulfite, add sorbate, let sit, add honey.

Yo momma
11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree with Wild. You definetly do not want bottle bombs, if you plan to bottle. You do not want to kick up any secondary fermentation, as not to make rocket fuel. Your best weapon is patience and your second is the hydrometer that Wild said you need. Emphasis on the need part:)