PDA

View Full Version : Covering your primary whilr waiting for 1/3 break

BluesGuy
11-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I know....another noob question. I read from a number of you that while your doing the aeration before the 1/3 break you all simply cover with a clean towel held down with a bungy or the like. My question is how clean....simply laundry cleaned or sanitized clean.

Dan McFeeley
11-28-2008, 12:57 PM
I know....another noob question. I read from a number of you that while your doing the aeration before the 1/3 break you all simply cover with a clean towel held down with a bungy or the like. My question is how clean....simply laundry cleaned or sanitized clean.

Laundry wash should do the trick, so long as you use hot water. I think most hot water heaters are about 135F? Not quite sanitizing temperatures but the prolonged time for washing should be helpful. In hospital work, it's emphasized that, in handwashing, fast running water can be just as important as the soap.

You can also put a clean towel into the washing machine, add a little bleach and run it through the cycles.

Another method, and possibly more managable, is sanitized plastic sheeting. Easy to do, dip the sheeting in sanitizing solution, allow to drip dry, fasten in place over the primary bucket. The disadvantage is that it tends to seal off air flow, whereas the towel allow air circulation, helpful at the time when the yeasties need oxygen.

wildaho
11-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Another option is to use foil in place of a towel. It holds itself in place without bungees, is easy to remove and is recyclable. Works for me!

vahan
11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I have one of those re-usable mesh bags (used in beer making and soaking spices) that I sanitize and secure over the top of the carboy to keep out invading bugs, but to let in O2.