View Full Version : Mold in Mead

12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Hello everyone, great site!

I recently went through my basement and pulled out a concoction that has been in my carboy for over 2 years now. I don't know the exact recipee, but it was something like:
10 pounds of honey
6 pounds of grapes
5 pounds cherry puree
champagne yeast

I'm getting back into brewing beer so I'm going to need that carboy soon. I've noticed that some of the fruit that's stuck to the sides of the carboy has developed some mold on it, not sure what to do about that. How will that effect the taste? I'm assuming nothings growing in the liquid due to the alcohol content, but will this mold wreck the flavor?

I thought about cooking it a tad to kill off anything, but that would probably wreck the flavor and evaporate off some alcohol.

I would really like this to be carbonated, so I thought about transfering it to my other carboy and adding some more honey, a little bit of fruit, and some yeast to get it going again. Thoughts?


12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Pull off a sample from about 2-3 inches below the surface of the mead and any mold that may be on the surface. If the sample tastes good you should be ok to rack from under the surface and leave about 3 inches in the bottom of the carboy so in effect you're racking from under the mold.

Also check to see if there are tendrils of mold or darker color extending down into your mead, if there are, toss it.