PDA

View Full Version : odd smell to 1116 yeast starter?

Robintun
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
If it does not smell right do not eat it usually is a good idea but I made a starter with a new yeast and I am not sure what to think.

The starter consists of Lavlin K1V-1116, 1 packet that I put in a starter fluid: 6 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon of Superferment, 1 Table spoon of corn sugar, all boiled for 5 minutes, then after taking off flame added 1/2 cup wildflower honey, let cool to 105F, and the yeast itself was reconstituted in a small amount of 105F water of 15minutes prior to adding. The expiration was 2010 some time, but I did notice the yeast had a stronger "yeast" smell than the 71B or D47 I normally use.

I put it in a plastic rubbermade container I have used for plenty of other food items and put the lid on loosely. This morning I wet to check on it, opened the lid and took a big whiff and literally burnt my nose for a brief second as if the air itself was alcohol. It had an oddly strong yeast smell with a bit of a sulfurous odder is the best way to describe it. It still has that smell, though my wife describes it as ginger ale and hard boiled eggs.

I thoroughly sterilized everything before use so I am not sure if this is just this yeast's normal odder or if I did something wrong or it is just bad. Yeasties all look happy and bubblely and multiplying fast as ever. Any suggestions?

Oskaar
12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, the starter mixture you made up isn't really helping you. Lalvin K1-V1116 should not be rehydrated with DAP or sugar so you're pretty much hobbling your yeast right off the bat.

Get some Go-FERM which is a Lalvin/Lallemand specific rehydration nutrient with no DAP and no sugar. Follow the instructions on this site (use the site search and keywords "yeast rehydration") and you'll be fine. Also, us a glass vessel to prepare your rehydration suspension.

Best of luck.

Robintun
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
ok thanks will do.

Robintun
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Tried "yeast rehydration" in a search on the main site as suggested. 276 hits but those instructions seem to be eluding me. I found a lot of recipes just as a did when I did the search of the forums prior to my original post. I also could not find why Lalvin K1-V1116 should not be rehydrated with DAP or sugar.

I rehydrated the yeast in warm water as per the packet instructions prior to pitching it in the starter. Not sure if I was fuzzy on that part or if I misunderstand your answer. Still smells odd this morning so I threw it out.

Thanks

Oskaar
12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Hmmm, might have been the way you did the search but I just tried it with "Yeast Rehydration" (minus the double quotes) as the Keywords, search entire post as the filter, and then "PBakulic" as the Author and got 78 hits. But the important thing is I got the following posts which go into more detail about yeast rehydration.

The first one is a full recipe with explanations of cap management, yeast rehydration, killer factor and some other hopefully useful tips when making a batch of mead.

The other one deals directly with yeast rehydration. Take a read through those threads (they're not very long, although the recipe is very detailed) and let me know if that helps.

Oskaarz Blue Berriez Cyser here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102033&postcount=1) and Yeast Rehydration here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=92260#post92260)