PDA

View Full Version : First racking, and a bit nervous

Jay212
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Actually more than a bit - about on par with a virgin on wedding night level nervous.

The mead in question is Ancient Orange, it's a crystal clear golden orange color, I started it on October 5th. I think it's been done for over a week now but I held off because when I came home after a weekend away half the oranges had fallen, I stupidly turned the jug around to see the other side and in the morning all the fruit was floating again. Kind of makes me doubt my sanity. And I had to wait for it to clear again of course.

So I need to sterilize/sanitize my transfer medium and receptacle, right? I've got a self-starting siphon from FermTech but it's looking like overkill for a one gallon jug, being twice as tall (actually purchased it for use with my 6 gallon carboy). I came across a reference to using just the tubing by filling it with water and letting gravity do the work, is this a good method to use? I really don't want any accidents or spillage. ???

Also, I'm planning on racking into a second jug instead of bottling, mainly in case it needs further aging which I'd rather do in bulk. First mead and uncertain, you know?

Oskaar
12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Actually more than a bit - about on par with a virgin on wedding night level nervous.

The mead in question is Ancient Orange, it's a crystal clear golden orange color, I started it on October 5th. I think it's been done for over a week now but I held off because when I came home after a weekend away half the oranges had fallen, I stupidly turned the jug around to see the other side and in the morning all the fruit was floating again. Kind of makes me doubt my sanity. And I had to wait for it to clear again of course.

ROTFLMAO I damned near pissed myself I was laughing so hard.

So I need to sterilize/sanitize my transfer medium and receptacle, right? I've got a self-starting siphon from FermTech but it's looking like overkill for a one gallon jug, being twice as tall (actually purchased it for use with my 6 gallon carboy). I came across a reference to using just the tubing by filling it with water and letting gravity do the work, is this a good method to use? I really don't want any accidents or spillage. ???

Yes, you absolutely sanitize everything that will come in contact with your mead when racking. I've used the long siphon starter to transfer from a one gallon jug, but they now have a line of half height siphonstarters just for one gallon jugs so that may be a consideration if you're planning on doing a lot of the one gallon batches.

Also, I'm planning on racking into a second jug instead of bottling, mainly in case it needs further aging which I'd rather do in bulk. First mead and uncertain, you know?

Bulk aging rocks. Keep it cool, store in a dark place, and if you have any, flood your one gallon carboy with some CO2.

lastbornjoker
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
i usally sanatise my racking tube and tubing per directions of the sanatiser. I usally start my siphon by sucking with my mouth lol. alot of people look down on this method because the mouth cantains so much bactiera. u can fill the tube with water and start it that way also. if ur that nervous i would sugest filling ur carboy up with water and practicing the differnt methods to see wich works best for YOU. Have fun and enjoy.
alex

Vino
12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I've got a self-starting siphon from FermTech but it's looking like overkill for a one gallon jug, being twice as tall (actually purchased it for use with my 6 gallon carboy).

Jay212,

The Fermtech auto-siphons work ok...but normally the 1/2" unit (for large carboys) won't fit into the neck of most 1 gallon jugs...they make a 3/8" mini siphon specifically for that....and they now have a new reduced diameter (3/8") that will fit the 1 gallon jug as well as the large carboys.

If you are lucky you have the new reduced diameter unit.

I have both the large unit and mini, I don't use either anymore...always seemed to get a lot of air bubbles during the transfer...just my personal experience.

Oskaar
12-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Jay212,

The Fermtech auto-siphons work ok...but normally the 1/2" unit (for large carboys) won't fit into the neck of most 1 gallon jugs...they make a 3/8" mini siphon specifically for that....and they now have a new reduced diameter (3/8") that will fit the 1 gallon jug as well as the large carboys....snip

Not necessarily true. I have about 20 of the one gallon carboys which use a size 8 bung, and accomodate any size racking cane, autosiphon and pump hose I have in the Meadworx. Point is, one gallon carboys come in all shapes and sizes so its a good idea to measure or check with your racking cane to be sure.

Vino
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Not necessarily true. I have about 20 of the one gallon carboys which use a size 8 bung, and accomodate any size racking cane, autosiphon and pump hose I have in the Meadworx. Point is, one gallon carboys come in all shapes and sizes so its a good idea to measure or check with your racking cane to be sure.

True...A better choice of words would have been many not most....I have several that I purchased with apple juice that accept the #8 stopper.

capoeirista13
12-03-2008, 05:36 PM
hey man I don't know if you've already racked this or not, but I can give you some tips to avoid the problems I had from my first time racking. One of my big problems was that I didn't quite get the whole water siphon thing, but we figured it out and got it to work. The way I went about it was I held both sides of the tubing as high as I could, and then lowered one side and started filling it with water. Occasionally I would stop filling it and bring it to a high point again to get out air bubbles and see where my water level was at. When I have about 6 inches of free tubing left on each side of my tube, I shove one end into the mead and the other into a pot. Once the water starts moving so does the mead. Once all the water is drained i close the end which was in the pot, and then release and I insert it into the empty container. Make sure you've got that pot ready, and probably some towels on the area around it to catch the water. Anyway also you might want to have some extra must leftover to put back into the container to make up for the mead you lose while racking, I tend to lose a lot of it since I'm still a noob and all. And don't forget to tip the original container so you can get more mead out!

Good luck!

gavinonymous
12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking of using a peristaltic pump for racking - but they are expensive. It's a simple enough concept to build if you're mechanically inclined.

here's a dutch site (http://www.home.zonnet.nl/rsetteur/aquarium/karel/doseer_pmp/index_doseer.htm) that shows how to make one using a timer.

this link (http://www.instructables.com/id/EUM86I9613EP28786D/) looks even better - you gotta love instructables!

Vino
12-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking of using a peristaltic pump for racking - but they are expensive. It's a simple enough concept to build if you're mechanically inclined.

gavinonymous,

I have an incredibly simple design for racking into a 3-6 1/2 gallon carboy that is both inexpensive and simple to assemble...I'll try to get pictures and post in the mead making equipment section...currently working on a 1 gallon jar version.

buildmark
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I have a somewhat simple method. I have the different sized racking canes with tubing and at the end of the tubing I have a little thing that pinches the tubing closed. Well with it all connected and ready to go, instead of sucking the end of the tubing with my mouth, I use a small device that looks similar to a turkey baster that fits into the end of the hose and squeeze it first then put it on the end of the hose and it sucks for me. I sanitize it also so everything stays clean.

My wife brought it home from work one day and asked if it would help. She is a nurse that works in the endoscopy department and they use them to clean some tubing and from what I understand, they sterilize the equipment that way or something like that.

Jay212
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

In hindsight I might not need to bottle this batch at all, since if it's pleasant enough there's enough friends and family interested in trying it that I hope I get more than a quick taste. Huh, mixed blessings now - if I need to age it, I can fudge the progress... ;D

Wow, you guys raised an intriguing issue. The label that came with my auto siphon claims it works with 1 gallon jugs, but they must not have conferred with the nice people who made mine because no dice. Guess I'll be getting some practice with alternative methods after all, starting with lots of practice. Did anyone else have visions of a perpetual mead fountain after following gavinonymous' link? Wow...

Again, thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a shot, and I guess the worst case scenario is getting some lees in the new jug.

Here's a dumb question: are the C02 cans used for blowing dust away from computers safe to use as a blanket if I need to do some long term aging? I haven't had a can in ages, and I can't remember if there was anything funky about them or not.

pugsquasher
12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
Oh gawd no! :eek: If you're refering to the cans of dust-off and the like, DO NOT put that anywhere near your mead! Even if the flouroethane itself was not toxic, the inhalation detering agents they put in that stuff taste TERRIBLE. Got some on my hand once, went to blow my nose, nearly puked. Don't think the old vinegar and baking soda trick is without issues either.....

Medsen Fey
12-05-2008, 12:50 AM
The aerosol cans of Private Preserve (or similar inert gas wine preservers) work quite well.