• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How critical is pH to mead/yeast propagation ?

Barrel Char Wood Products

magarcia12

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2008
St. Louis
to All Mead heads.

My local beer/wine shop says all Meads should be around a pH of 3.5
for proper yeast propagation. Prior to pitching the yeast, my pH was 2.5, I added 4 tsp. of calcium carbonate to the must and waited five hours.
It went up to 3.7 so I pitched the yeast and two days later CO2 is bubbling like "crazy". Does anyone find this pH too tight. Do Melomel's differ from Pyments in the pH range, or is this issue strictly related to the yeast viability.

magarcia12

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hi! Welcome to "Gotmead?"

Your LHBS has given you one point of good information, but really they should have told you a bit more. All wine-like fermentations should proceed within a pH range that the yeast find acceptable. That generally is within the region of about 3.2-4.0. In fact, yeast can happily live at pH higher than 4.0, but so can a variety of spoilage organisms, so it is best to keep the pH at or below 4.0 to keep them at bay.

Yeast have adapted to be the "first in" on ripe fruits that begin to rot in the wild. Those fruits (esp wine grapes) tend to have juice that naturally falls in the 3.2 to 4.0 range.

Below about 3.2, the yeast themselves are subject to stress, and they don't do well. In fact I have seen evidence of yeast stress in musts lower than 3.4, so I usually shoot for 3.4 as the lower limit in my fermentations.

So if your must is within that golden range, your chances of a successful fermentation are increased.

Sounds like you hit the "sweet spot" of that range with your carbonate addition, and I'm glad to hear that your must is fermenting robustly!

magarcia12

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2008
St. Louis
A starting pH of 2.5 is extremely low. Outside of lemons, I don't think I can recall ever having a must which was that low before pitching? Can you give us the recipe for what you are making?

Medsen
Medsen,

At the time of pitching there was #15 honey, 64 oz. Pinot concentrate and a pint of grapefruit concentrate. magarcia12

magarcia12

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 11, 2008
St. Louis
Hi! Welcome to "Gotmead?"

Your LHBS has given you one point of good information, but really they should have told you a bit more. All wine-like fermentations should proceed within a pH range that the yeast find acceptable. That generally is within the region of about 3.2-4.0. In fact, yeast can happily live at pH higher than 4.0, but so can a variety of spoilage organisms, so it is best to keep the pH at or below 4.0 to keep them at bay.

Yeast have adapted to be the "first in" on ripe fruits that begin to rot in the wild. Those fruits (esp wine grapes) tend to have juice that naturally falls in the 3.2 to 4.0 range.

Below about 3.2, the yeast themselves are subject to stress, and they don't do well. In fact I have seen evidence of yeast stress in musts lower than 3.4, so I usually shoot for 3.4 as the lower limit in my fermentations.

So if your must is within that golden range, your chances of a successful fermentation are increased.

Sounds like you hit the "sweet spot" of that range with your carbonate addition, and I'm glad to hear that your must is fermenting robustly!
Wayne B.

The ferment has appreciably stopped (after 60 days) and I have racked to another fermeter with two additional changes. Added six oak cubes and placed fermenter in 40 degree refrigerator. I intend to holdit there w/airlock for 60 days before botteling. This is a still mead. magarcia12

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I reckon that grapefruit concentrate brought the pH way down. How does this Grapefruit Pyment taste?
Whereas I was thinking it might have been both, as they're both described as "concentrate".

Surely by that, it's fair to guess that the reduced water level of a concentrate who have an increased level of acid.

I just like to make sure that I'm in the 3.5 pH region with a "pen meter" before I pitch the yeast

regards

fatbloke

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns