PDA

View Full Version : Frozen concentrates

Dmichels
01-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I have about a gallon of raw honey left I wanted to make a Melomel. I was planning on folowing an existing recipe. Is it posible to substute frozen concentrates in for fresh fruit or wine concentrates found in various recipes? Is there a rule of thumb? Can one assume a pasterized juice is wild yeast free? I know to stay away from juices with sulfatesas they can kill the yeast I do see alot of juces have vitimum C is this a problem
Happy New Year
Dave

fatbloke
01-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I have about a gallon of raw honey left I wanted to make a Melomel. I was planning on folowing an existing recipe. Is it posible to substute frozen concentrates in for fresh fruit or wine concentrates found in various recipes? Is there a rule of thumb? Can one assume a pasterized juice is wild yeast free? I know to stay away from juices with sulfatesas they can kill the yeast I do see alot of juces have vitimum C is this a problem
Happy New Year
Dave
Vitamin C a.k.a. ascorbic acid is used as a preservative in lots of juice. As far as I'm aware it's not like sulphite based preservatives and doesn't cause a problem + the manufacturers get to label it as "having added vitamins".

Whether pasturised juices are truely "wild yeast free" I don't know, as I don't recall the temperature threshold for the pasturiser i.e. whether it's different from milk or the same. Some fruits would display a "cooked" taste, others not.

As to how much concentrate you'd use instead of fresh fruit, well surely it'd depend on the level of concentration - maybe the packaging will tell you that 1 litre of concentrate = 5 lb of fresh fruit or something like that. All that kind of stuff i.e. levels of concentration are dependant on how it's been processed and how much water was removed during processing to establish how much you'd use in place of fresh fruit.

regards

fatbloke

Leonora
01-01-2009, 02:31 PM
What recipe were you considering using?

Leonora

Dmichels
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I had not really picked one (but would be open to any sugestions) Just trying to find out about the use of frozen concentrate as a subtitution and how well it would work
Thanks
Dave

WRATHWILDE
01-01-2009, 03:28 PM
How much of a fruit flavor are you looking for? Are you going for a fortified wine... in which case mix your must to full strength, as if you were making 1,3,5,6 gallons of juice and add honey to whatever gravity you need for your yeasts to finish in the range you want. Want a lighter fruit blend? Mix concentrates to 1/2 to 3/4 strength. Stronger? Add an extra couple of cans. Personally I love concentrates for exactly this reason, you can really tune your must to the fruit levels desired.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde.

Dmichels
01-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Is it ok to use the grocery store frozen juice conentrate?
Thanks

WRATHWILDE
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Is it ok to use the grocery store frozen juice conentrate?

Try to stick with 100% juice concentrate, no preservatives. Ascorbic acid added (Vitamin C) is fine though.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde