PDA

View Full Version : Nutrients & Energizers

epetkus
01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey all, has anyone tried the "new" Fermaid O or NATSTEP (Fortiferm or Enoferm) for their mead(s)? Just wondering if there is any history/experience with these versus Fermaid K.
Per Lallemand web site; "Fermaid O does not contain added ammonia salts (DAP) or micronutrients. The importance of organic nitrogen from yeasts is well known as a highly efficient nutrient source for wine yeasts, especially when compared to inorganic nitrogen from DAP. In addition, Fermaid O consistently produces lower levels of negative sulfur compounds, compared with DAP. With its high content of organic nitrogen, Fermaid O can help winemakers achieve steady fermentations, while limiting temperature peaks. When inorganic nitrogen (DAP) additions are NOT desired, the use of Go-FermŽ or NATSTEP™ and Fermaid O is recommended. With this combination, Go-Ferm or NATSTEP provides needed micronutrients during yeast rehydration, and Fermaid O (when added at 1/3 sugar depletion) supplies critical nutrients and survival factors to help the yeast avoid stressed conditions."

liff
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Simply because they are 'new', I think the answer is no. I don't think you can buy either at the current time in consumer quantites.

I am pretty set in my ways though. If it is not broke don't fix it, right?

epetkus
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the reply liff. I was hoping someone might have used them. I've emailed a couple suppliers to see if they can/will supply. I understand, and embrace for the most part, the "not broke, don't fix" modus operandi! But since I'm a newbie, with only two batches in the carboys, I'm less entrenched!

I'm trying to find where I should post my batches recipes, but I got to be honest, this site seems like a spider web of links, nooks & crannies that I'm still figuring out!

Eric

Vino
01-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm trying to find where I should post my batches recipes

Eric,

Welcome to Gotmead!

For posting recipes look for "the Brewlog" forum in the "New Meadmaker Support" section.

If you need help with the recipe you can post in the "General Recipe Discussion Section" forum in the "New Meadmaker Support" section or simply ask.

Hope that helps.

wildaho
01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Eric and Welcome to the GotMead? mean green (but friendly) machine!

Try the Brewlog (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=148) here for your recipes and batches in progress or the General Recipe Discussion (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=146) area for help in developing a batch. There are also a couple of boards in the Patron's Only section for even greater detail and help.

:cheers:
Wade

Medsen Fey
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Welcome to GotMead? epetkus!

If you do find suppliers willing to package these products in home-mazer quantities, please lets us know. I'm always willing to experiment with some new things.

Where in the Sunshine state are you situated?

Medsen

epetkus
01-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks Medsen, Wildaho & Vino.
I'll post what I got brewing as you suggest! I'm in Palm Bay FL, on the Space Coast.
They say you learn more from your mistakes than successes, so I'm on a PHD learning curve!!
First batch started off way too "thin" (I naively thought a "kit" with honey was actually complete). Second batch I killed the yeast in the bag and had to repitch with dry (vs sweet) yeast, etc.

However, it's been fun; a GREAT learning exercise, (Ken S's. book has been a TREMENDOUS help, along with info from GotMead!) and I'm hoping to become a mazer as time and experience allow!

Thanks again!

Eric

liff
01-10-2009, 01:53 AM
However, it's been fun; a GREAT learning exercise, (Ken S's. book has been a TREMENDOUS help, along with info from GotMead!) and I'm hoping to become a mazer as time and experience allow!

Eric

The first few times at anything new are always the funnest. From here (for me) the mead gets better and better, while the process is more so mundane. I like it still though.

But since I'm a newbie, with only two batches in the carboys, I'm less entrenched!

And that makes you valuable very much so to the group. Analogus to the story where the little boy says, "Why not just let the air out of the tires?"

Welcome and have fun =)

epetkus
01-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Thansk Liff!

I'm looking forward to this mead journey!

(thoughts of commercialization and large-scale education of the American public on mead and its value & virtues have been rolling in my head for a couple years now, but that's a different thread!);D

Eric

WRATHWILDE
01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm hoping to become a mazer as time and experience allow!

There was an attempt a few years ago to label meadmakers with the term mazer. Mazer however refers to the vessel that was used to drink mead and the term has been generally rejected by this community. The proper term for one who makes mead is GOD. See this thread. (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13444&highlight=mazer) So why not aspire to be a GOD instead?

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Kee
01-10-2009, 10:24 PM
...The proper term for one who makes mead is GOD...

Or goddess!

epetkus
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey Wrathwilde, Hahaha!!

Since I can't yet see the patron-only part, I can only imagine! Patronage for me in the near future!

OK, mazer is out. I'll reserve judgement on "GOD" or (GODdess for the ladies) until I see what we mean!

Eric

WRATHWILDE
01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Or goddess!

...or Goddess.

Hey Wrathwilde, Hahaha!!
Since I can't yet see the patron-only part, I can only imagine!

Sorry about that, I did a search to find the thread, it never dawned on me that it might be in the Patron section.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

epetkus
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome to GotMead? epetkus!

If you do find suppliers willing to package these products in home-mazer quantities, please lets us know. I'm always willing to experiment with some new things.
Medsen

OK, heard back from Vinquiry:

"Hello Eric,

We have Enoferm Protect in:

2.5kg - 30-076-0003 - $75
10kg - 30-076-0010 - $265

The Fermaid O is a 2.5kg package, 30-131-2500 for $85. We are stocking to fulfill specific orders at this time, so there would be a day or two in lead time. I've attached the tech sheet for your reference."

I asked if they plan on carrying smaller, home/hobbiest quantites, but the answer is no (she referenced me to a couple of other sites;
www.thebeveragepeople.com or www.morewine.com).

I'll keep poking around to see if a supplier would be willing to offer smaller quantities.

Or, if we could gather enough collective interest, just buy the 2.5kg package and split up the cost and product.

Any takers?

zymos
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Here's a place that sells small quantities of the Fermaid O

http://www.eckraus.com/WINEMAKING/Wine_Making_Ingredients/Nutrients_-and-_Food_Starters/Page_1/NUT220.html

Medsen Fey
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I think this is a similar product, but I don't believe it is made by Lallemand. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have used this product with good results.