PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a speaker Friday in Reno

ken_schramm
01-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I am desperately seeking help. I was booked to speak at the American Beekeepers Federation in Reno, Nevada on Friday (http://www.abfnet.org/node/51). As part of the Serious Sideliner Symposium, my topic is "Mead: How I Do It." The presenation is Friday the 16th at 1:45 pm at the Nugget. I was going to take a six pack of mead for tasters, and talk about my procedures.

Due to a family health concern, I am unable to make it. I will be helping a family member through a surgery to hopefully alleviate their Parkinson's disease symptoms, and due to some complications, the schedule ended up being later that we had originally thought. Whether you're an evangelist or an atheist, if you could send some good energy our way, it'd be very welcome.

I am hoping someone with mead making experience in that vicinity might be able to cover this slot for me. I will still be getting mead to the location for the presentation. I will be deeply indebted if an experienced meadmaker with some presentation skill could help out. I can send along my Powerpoint presentation, and can walk you through it, if that would help.

Please let me know if you are in that area and can help me and Larry Connor out. It's a terrific opportunity to meet some of the beekeeping trade's giants. You can Email me at the address in my profile, or call me in Troy, MI (I'm listed).

Thanks,
Ken

Oskaar
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Frack!

The drive up to Reno is beautiful and I have some friends that live in Gardnerville, NV (they're Llama herders) so I'd do this in a heartbeat but I'm committed to another engagement that weekend. I'll circle up my wagons and see if there's any wiggle room but I doubt it at this point.

There are a couple of Got Meaders in the Las Vegas area and some in the Northern California area too. I'll drop a dime on them and see if they can pick this up.

What a great opportunity!

epetkus
01-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Ken, I'm on the evangical side of things, so the "energy" I can send will be prayers!

I truly hope someone steps up to this opportunity.

Would you be willing to share your PP presentation? I develop presentations and present as part of my job (in a systems engineering/communications way), and would love to be virtually there through your slides. If not, I'll understand.

Hoping your family member (and family) get all they hope for!!

Eric

Oskaar
01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Looks like I'll be in Reno. Things worked out with scheduling (I was able to reschedule the previous engagement) so I'll be heading up to scenic Reno, NV to represent for our wonderful drink. The program is chock full of some fantastic topics and really excellent speakers, so I'll be soaking up information like a sponge. Ken is giving me the lowdown on his presentation, and I've been fortunate enough to enjoy it at the Mead Festivals in years past. I'll be sure to give a shout out to Ken and all you Got Meaders at the Convention!

Cheers, Oskaar <---- The Semi-Compleat Bargain Basement Ken Schramm Substitute Speaker :munky2:

wayneb
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Way to go, Pete! (I still wish that I could be there -- sounds like it will be fun, and Reno is a fun place even without a Beekeeper's Convention to attend!) ;)

Oskaar
01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Totally looking forward to it, plus, it's in Reno so there will be games of chance, alcohol and general jackassery in the offing. It's like being at home!

Summersolstice
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Ken - sending positive energy in your direction. Good luck!

Pete - Good things come to those who help a friend in need.

epetkus
01-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Awesome Pete!

WRATHWILDE
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Totally looking forward to it, plus, it's in Reno so there will be games of chance, alcohol and general jackassery in the offing. It's like being at home!

..It'll be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas all over again. Not many people know Oskaar was Hunter S. Thompson's inspiration for Oscar Z. Acosta.

May you return with more $$ than you took.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

osluder
01-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Oskaar is Samoan? ;D -- Olen

andrewschwab
01-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Ahh crap the 1 year I miss the bee convention in the last 6.
Have fun, take notes on those bee speakers, your head will spin with all the information.

WRATHWILDE
01-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Oskaar is Samoan? ;D -- Olen

Hunter never could keep his facts straight.

webmaster
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Gee, it couldn't have been because of the good drugs, could it?

Pete, do us proud in Reno, I know you will!!

Ken, my prayers are with you and your family, and I hope the surgery is a resounding success. You know Pete will cover well for you!!

ken_schramm
01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks to everyone - sincere thanks - for the well wishes. Pete, this is a favor that will not be forgotten. There is Schrammermead on its way to Reno for the presentation. Stay away from the ether, though. That's what really worries me. There's nothing more helpless and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

I feel privileged to be a part of this community. You have made me feel much better about humanity.

Thanks again,
Ken

Speedy
01-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Ken -
Lots of postive thoughts and prayers for you and your family. May everything go well!!

And thank you for your additions to this community and the mead community in general.

Speedy

Oskaar
01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks to everyone - sincere thanks - for the well wishes. Pete, this is a favor that will not be forgotten. There is Schrammermead on its way to Reno for the presentation. Stay away from the ether, though. That's what really worries me. There's nothing more helpless and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.

I feel privileged to be a part of this community. You have made me feel much better about humanity.

Thanks again,
Ken

No ether for me this trip. LOL I'm going for pure California Golden Poppy Honey! LOL

All my thoughts and prayers are with you Ken.

ken_schramm
01-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks, Pete. Life looks good here, and time will tell. I hope your presentation went well and you met lots of cool people. Let us know how it went when you get a minute.

Again, thanks,
Ken

thomasaaron
01-17-2009, 04:46 PM
So, Pete, how did it go at the convention?

So, Ken, my wife got your book for me for my birthday in November. I've read it cover to cover and am now starting back through it. Man, I can't BELIEVE how much I have to learn. I'm such a stinkin' noob!

And how did the surgery go? I'm praying for the recovery, since I only just now saw this post.

Best,
Tom

Oskaar
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Howdy,

I'm down in Livermore visiting my excellent friends and moving a bit slow this morning after a fast and furious night of visiting a couple of wineries here in this scenic little burb. Their home is in the middle of a vineyard and there are several wineries within walking distance.

The presentation went very well and we had lots of great questions.

I'll post more a bit later as I've been summoned to have some breakfast.

Oskaar
01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
OK, back from the breakfast table. The presentation went very well, to a very receptive crowd of beekeepers. There were also several people there that brought mead in all we had about 30 bottles of mead.

On another note I heard back from Ken and his father is doing well and recovering from the surgery.

Ken sent out a six pack of his excellent mead as well, and it was very well received by all so I predict that when he releases his mead commercially it will do very very well. So, Ken buddy, I know you'll do well with the mead. I asked everyone to give a shout out to Ken so I took a picture of the crowd and have attached it to this post.

I'm also happy to say that there was not one bad bottle of mead, and while it was tough work, I tasted them all! I spoke for a while (I didn't know I could talk that long :eek:)

Here's the pics!

wayneb
01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
The more mead you have, the slower you talk. Slow speech takes longer... basic law of Physics! ;D

Vino
01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
The more mead you have, the slower you talk. Slow speech takes longer... basic law of Physics! ;D

And maybe a little more specifically Chemical kinetics as it applies to the Law of Mass Action, which states that the speed of a chemical reaction is proportional to the quantity of the reacting substances.

wayneb
01-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Vino,
Clearly you haven't had enough mead yet today! :happy8:

Vino
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
We don't get to drink during work except on Fridays and certain holidays...what a bummer.

andrewschwab
01-20-2009, 02:08 AM
So next year the convention is in sunny FL. ;D
Hopes you or Ken will be asked to speak again. Maybe for next year suggest a 2 part, begining brewers then a bit more advanced meeting.