PDA

View Full Version : Making mead with Mr. Beer

knowlesbrew
01-13-2009, 10:02 AM
A friend of mine gave me a Mr. Beer kit that he bought and never used. My thinking is that I can use the 2.5 gallon plastic fermentor that it comes with to make mead.

My question is could I use it as both a primary and secondary fermentor, like move the mead to a glass carboy, clean the Mr. Beer fermentor and then rack the mead back into the Mr. Beer for secondary fermentation?

My thought is it doesnt have an airlock it just has very small slits around the top to let air out. I might have to invest in a couple one gallon jugs and just split the batch.

Thanks

dogglebe
01-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't use Mister Beer to make beer. The system is a joke!

As for making mead with it.... the system is a joke! It's flimsy plastic that us not meant to age anything. If you try making a mead with it, it will be extremely oxidized before it's ready.

Phil

Speedy
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Good to know. I got one for my birthday and hadn't started it yet. I will push that off indefinitely.

Vino
01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Not that I would EVER condone the purchase of a Mr Beer kit...I will say that I know a lot of people who got into homebrew by first using their kits. And a few who use them regularly, despite their inferior product. ???

Speedy, If you have one why not go ahead and make it...then decide for yourself...not everybody has the same taste.

knowlesbrew
01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah I went ahead and whipped up a batch with the ingredients it came with. I added a cup of DME and about 1/4 oz of cascade hops to liven it up a little. Plus if you are aleady a home brewer I wouldnt use the yeast that comes with the kit, use the typical dry or liquid yeast.

I am not holding out much hope for it but who knows.

Speedy
01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
True - everyone ones tastes are different and it will give me a chance to test out a different type of brewing and process. I have a few meads going right now, but would like to know more about different home brews.

Speedy

knowlesbrew
01-13-2009, 07:47 PM
I have more experience brewing than mead making. I wouldnt recommend Mr. Beer past the supplies you already have. You are better off using the 5 gallon batch extract kits that Northernbrewer or midwestsupplies sell.

dogglebe
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Not that I would EVER condone the purchase of a Mr Beer kit...I will say that I know a lot of people who got into homebrew by first using their kits. And a few who use them regularly, despite their inferior product. ???

Speedy, If you have one why not go ahead and make it...then decide for yourself...not everybody has the same taste.

And I know a lot of people who gave up on brewing after one or two batches of Mr. Beer beer. The system makes a lovely planter, I hear.

You really can't keep anything in that for more than two or three weeks before the oxidation sets in. It's cheap plastic.

Phil

Vino
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
And I know a lot of people who gave up on brewing after one or two batches of Mr. Beer beer.

That's like eating your first hamburger and it came from Krystals (puke!) and deciding to never try another hamburger. Anybody that gives up after one experience without doing research (especially with the internet) probably shouldn't be making beer anyway.

The first mead I ever tasted was commercially produced, and after two drinks I poured it down the drain, that didn't stop me from wanting to try other meads...on the contrary it sparked my curiousity and eventually brought me to this site.

Besides if everyone brewed beer I wouldn' t have anybody to buy mine! ;D

So I guess I should thank the makers of Mr Beer (although I won't).

EverGreenman
02-11-2009, 04:28 PM
My thought is it doesnt have an airlock it just has very small slits around the top to let air out.

I've never seen this particular system or set up...but that sounds like it actually might work allright for primary fermentation? Well, I guess the slits might let out the krausen all over the place... Maybe just for a one gallon batch?

dogglebe
02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
That's like eating your first hamburger and it came from Krystals (puke!) and deciding to never try another hamburger. Anybody that gives up after one experience without doing research (especially with the internet) probably shouldn't be making beer anyway.

You're comparing brewing beer with eating a hamburger? Are you serious?

Brewing beer (or making mead) requires time and effort, and is something people don't need to do since there are so many good beers out there. If your first attempt, or two, result in inferior beers then you're not going to keep it up; you're going to stop and buy crafts beers.

Phil

Vino
02-11-2009, 11:45 PM
You're comparing brewing beer with eating a hamburger? Are you serious?

Brewing beer (or making mead) requires time and effort, and is something people don't need to do since there are so many good beers out there. If your first attempt, or two, result in inferior beers then you're not going to keep it up; you're going to stop and buy crafts beers.

Phil

Are you saying that everyone makes a "good" mead or beer on their first or second attempt? Are you serious?

The food was an example that could have been almost anything...I can think of several things I've tried and had less than stellar success at initially.

If someone is serious about learning a craft like beer or mead or wine making, then they aren't going to give up after one or two attempts.

Xixist
02-14-2009, 05:45 AM
I used to compare mead to sex but as I got older i began comparing sex to mead.
Xixist

STLBrewer
02-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I have been brewing beer for two years now...after I made my first batch about 10 years ago and thought it was the most horrible thing I have ever drank! I learned a lot more about it since and realized that patience (and sanitation) is key to both beer and mead!

I currently have my 2nd, 3rd and 4th meads (1 gallon batches) bubbling away happily at 70 degrees...notice, I didn't talk about batch #1 for a reason!! :)
I should have listened to my instincts as a brewer...we'll leave it at that.

Point is...I didn't give up and that is why my beers and meads will do nothing but improve as I gain even more knowledge and experience...

dogglebe
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
How many people are going to buy one beer making kit, brew a batch or two of crappy beer, and then say, "Maybe I should drop more money and buy a second homebrewing system." They're going to give it up and buy beer after that.

And my first mead was incredible!

Phil

knowlesbrew
02-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I have to admit I made a batch of Mr. Beer with the stuff my buddy gave me and it turned out pretty good. It was the West Coast Pale ale. Of course It probably helped that I added some Cascade hops, some DME, and used fresh Yeast instead of the crap that came with the kit. The finished product def didnt taste like a Well hopped Pale ale more like a light Lager in the Bud Miller Coors style. But like I said considering the set up it wasnt too bad. But I think I will stick to my All Grain Brew.

anansi
05-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I have to admit I made a batch of Mr. Beer with the stuff my buddy gave me and it turned out pretty good. It was the West Coast Pale ale. Of course It probably helped that I added some Cascade hops, some DME, and used fresh Yeast instead of the crap that came with the kit. The finished product def didnt taste like a Well hopped Pale ale more like a light Lager in the Bud Miller Coors style. But like I said considering the set up it wasnt too bad. But I think I will stick to my All Grain Brew.

I've been wondering what beer kit to use since I've always wanted to start brewing my own beer. Is Mr. Beer good? Thanks!
:confused:

BBBF
05-03-2009, 09:49 AM
If you're looking to try a beer on the cheap, I think you're better off just making it in a bucket, without a secondary.

akueck
05-03-2009, 03:32 PM
+1 on the bucket. Most beers do not need a secondary and will be just fine in the bucket for the requisite 10-14 days. Most homebrew stores will sell beer kits for $30-40/5 gallons with all the ingredients you need included.

STLBrewer
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
+2 on the bucket...the only time a beer "needs" a secondary (IMHO) is when it is a BIG beer (we are talking 10%+) that would benefit greatly by sitting for a few months (to a few years) in a bulk aging type situation.

huntfishtrap
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I've been wondering what beer kit to use since I've always wanted to start brewing my own beer. Is Mr. Beer good? Thanks!
:confused:

If you are making wine or mead, you already have almost everything you need for extract brewing some very good beer. All you need now is pot with a capacity of 3-4 gallons, a caper, caps and bottles. You can get plastic bottles on the cheap by recycling coke bottles (not recommended by me), or buying them from Mr Beer. I very much prefer brown glass pry-off bottles. You can buy them empty, but my preferred method is to buy them full. (More fun that way). I agree that a secondary is not necessary, I've always used one. It only takes 2 more weeks, and it's my opinion that the beer is clearer and smoother. There is always stuff left at the bottom of the secondary that would be in the bottle otherwise. I encourage you to try it!

Paul

knowlesbrew
05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah I wouldnt go out an buy a Mr. Beer kit. I just did it because I ended up with one. If you happen to have a kit equipment then it isnt too bad. If not just get a bucket like everyone else said.

huntfishtrap
05-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Having only seen pictures, I would be very meticulus (sp?) about sanitation. With a lid in the middle and no open access to the whole thing. I would use PBW and shake the heck out of it to make sure there is no leftovers in there. Otherwise, do what you gotta do, and have fun with it.

Paul

anansi
05-11-2009, 08:52 AM
If you are making wine or mead, you already have almost everything you need for extract brewing some very good beer. All you need now is pot with a capacity of 3-4 gallons, a caper, caps and bottles. You can get plastic bottles on the cheap by recycling coke bottles (not recommended by me), or buying them from Mr Beer. I very much prefer brown glass pry-off bottles. You can buy them empty, but my preferred method is to buy them full. (More fun that way). I agree that a secondary is not necessary, I've always used one. It only takes 2 more weeks, and it's my opinion that the beer is clearer and smoother. There is always stuff left at the bottom of the secondary that would be in the bottle otherwise. I encourage you to try it!

Paul

Will do! Wow! I'm very much overwhelmed with all the suggestions you gave guys! Thanks! Wish me luck with my first brewed beer! :D

jennimajor
03-22-2011, 01:41 AM
I was gifted one of the Mr. Beer (http://coupongrove.com/MrBeer/) things for Christmas a few years ago... I must say that i was pretty impressed with my results... I mean don't go into it thinking you are gonna win ribbons with it, but for the experience it was well worth the outcome... I enjoyed it.

K5MOW
03-22-2011, 06:52 AM
I started with the Mr. Beer and it will work for making Mead but I think if you have a carboy it would work better.

Roger