PDA

View Full Version : I ain't worth a chat.

Medsen Fey
01-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Has anyone else had trouble getting in on the chat tonight or is it just poor old me?

Angus
01-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes. It opens the window. Runs through the setup bars, then stays blank.

Angus

Medsen Fey
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
A feast is no use without good talk.
Angus

Neither is a chat.

wildaho
01-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm not worthy either. Same bars and then blank.

I'm using FireFox 3.05 on WindowsXP SP3. What are you guys using? There are bunch of people listed on the main forum page in chat.

EDIT: Just tried IE7 and got the same thing

Vino
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
It looks like 8 or 10 people managed to get in...several kept getting timeouts, and kicked out...mine worked without any issues...I'm using IE7 under XP on my laptop.

sandman
01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
I got in fine, got booted once, then it all went well until I signed out just now. I'm going to have to utilize this tool more often. Nice to have that instant feedback on comments at times and way easier to get info when a question pops into your head.

Oskaar
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Can I get those of you who had problems getting in to the chat room to bounce your boxes and go into "Safe Mode with Networking" and login to Got Mead, then try to get into the chat room and let me know what messages, dialog boxes, popup windows or anything else you tried.

Make sure your java console is set to enabled.

Lemme know.

wayneb
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Well, I was on my way to Coyote/Road Runner ville at Chat time, so I didn't even get to try.... :mad:

Maybe next time.

Oskaar
01-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Can I get those of you who had problems getting in to the chat room to bounce your boxes and go into "Safe Mode with Networking" and login to Got Mead, then try to get into the chat room and let me know what messages, dialog boxes, popup windows or anything else you tried.

Make sure your java console is set to enabled.

Lemme know.

Hey, any of youz guyz do this yet?

Angus
01-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Morning Pete,

Everything seems to start up fine, until the window is complete. The only thing I see at this point is a red and black close up of someones eye. No text at all. Logged out and back in. Same thing. Changed settings. Nothing. Used to be able to get in just fine. What can I try next?

Angus

lastbornjoker
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
red and black close up of someones eye.
Angus

Thats me whatching you.LOL
No,seriously tho you didnt miss much. We didnt even talk about mead. We all just had a tall glass of it and talked about how the universe was created. Thats when pete solved the secret to life but we all ended drinking too much and forgot. Nope you didnt miss much at all.

webmaster
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I just logged into chat, and it came up fine. So I know its working. We really need the folks having problems to do the process Pete mentions earlier.

I'm guessing we're seeing either out-of-date java software on the local systems (the chatroom is java-based), or a firewall issue.

Things to check:
- is your local browser set to run java
- have you tried the chat with your firewall turned off to see if that is causing the problem (note: never run with your firewall off, but this is a check to see if it is blocking the software)
- is your local java software updated?

Since it works fine for most of the folks, I can't really fix it from my end, since it works. But these are a starting point for us to try to determine what on your machine is causing the issues....

Vicky
Windows Vista, Firefox 3.x, Kaspersky firewall

wayneb
01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
FWIW, when we first migrated over to the new platform, I tried the Chat function and it appeared to be working fine for me. So I was rather surprised to find that it now fails in the same way as it is for Angus (i.e. the "red eyed guy" image is displayed in the chat window -- nothing else).

I'm running Firefox 3.05, Windows XP SP3, same as Wade. Java is enabled and as far as I know I have the latest and greatest (I'm set up to get auto updates from Sun as they are released). I haven't tried the safe mode with networking thing yet, as that produces such low-res on this monitor at work that all I get is a small fraction of the FF window when it is open -- logging in is a real PITA this way.

Here's a clue for you guys to mull over. The FF Error Console always displays the same error now that I'm afflicted with Chat Failure. It is this:

Warning: Expected ':' but found 'undefined'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/chat/flashchat.php?username=_int_&room=1
Line: 0

Hope that helps.

webmaster
01-21-2009, 12:10 PM
OK, can someone send me a snapshot of that 'eye' thing you're seeing?

I'm reloading the software right now, we'll see if that helps...

webmaster
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
OK, try it now....

wayneb
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Vicky, the "red eyed guy" image is now gone -- but I get a blank white chat window, although it does appear that Adobe Flash Player is running in that window.

I still get the same warning message in my Firefox Error Console that I was getting earlier.

webmaster
01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
OK, I'm getting that error too, and am looking into it. However, even with that error, I still get in and can post.....there's something else going on with your browsers or system.

Is your browser flash up to date?

webmaster
01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
I re-uploaded some files that were indicated in the error log. See if that helps..

osluder
01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I was travelling, so I didn't have a chance to join the chat at the time, but I thought I would try it now. I had no issues getting in with

Windows XP Pro SP2
IE6
Sun Java 6 Update 11
Symantec Client Firewall

-- Olen

wayneb
01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
No joy, Vicky.

Further info from this local machine:
Flash 10.0 r12
Java Platform SE 6 U 11
(both are the most current out there that I can find)

and Firewall is part of Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.780.1109.

Temporarily disabling Symantec has no effect. Still have Flash running in the window, but the window is blank white.

wayneb
01-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Progress??

I just tried Chat again about a minute or so ago. Now instead of the blank white window, I see tapered shading of green in the background. Still no text, nor any effect from keys typed while the mouse cursor points in the chat window.

dazed
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Seems to work for me...:p I just tried it twice....IE 7 Java and Flash up to date.