PDA

View Full Version : Does D-47 throw off sulfur?

Poobah58
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm in day 3 of fermenting a Cherry Cyser (see my Brewlog (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13791) for details). Fermentation is very rapid. Today I smelled sulfur for the first time. Gave it a stir and added some nutrient + DAP. Is this normal for this yeast?

akueck
01-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Cysers often throw sulfur, in my experience. I think it has something to do with the apples (ciders do it to). Keep a nose on it and see how the nutrient addition helps. Aerating also helps clear out the sulfur.

Poobah58
01-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks. I'm at the 1/2 sugar break (I think) so I'm done aerating or so I assume. Will monitor to at least the 2/3 break...

Medsen Fey
01-20-2009, 11:11 PM
In addition to DAP, the yeast also may need pantothenate and pyridoxine (both B-vitamins) to prevent Hydrogen sulfide production. These can be found in Fermaid K and some other yeast energizers.

By the way, the 1/3 sugar break comes first (it is the point where 1/3 of the sugar has been consumed). Then come the 1/2 sugar break which is where 1/2 the sugar has been consumed.

I hope it smells better soon!

Medsen

Oskaar
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
D47 isn't a real sulfur producer, as Aaron mentioned below this is more than likely the cider which goes through two or three sulfur stages during a fermentation in my experience.

Be sure to feed the fermentation as suggested, but I wouldn't worry too much about the sulfur smell. As long as you have added nutrient at the end of the lag phase, the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar break you should be fine. If you want to break down the total nutrient addition into four parts and hit the 1/2 sugar break as well that will also work.

Find what works for you.

Cheers, Oskaar

Poobah58
01-21-2009, 01:11 AM
In addition to DAP, the yeast also may need pantothenate and pyridoxine (both B-vitamins) to prevent Hydrogen sulfide production. These can be found in Fermaid K and some other yeast energizers.

By the way, the 1/3 sugar break comes first (it is the point where 1/3 of the sugar has been consumed). Then come the 1/2 sugar break which is where 1/2 the sugar has been consumed.

I hope it smells better soon!

Medsen
Oops, got my math mixed up!:eek: BTW, I am using Fermaid-k and DAP

Poobah58
01-21-2009, 01:12 AM
D47 isn't a real sulfur producer, as Aaron mentioned below this is more than likely the cider which goes through two or three sulfur stages during a fermentation in my experience.

Be sure to feed the fermentation as suggested, but I wouldn't worry too much about the sulfur smell. As long as you have added nutrient at the end of the lag phase, the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar break you should be fine. If you want to break down the total nutrient addition into four parts and hit the 1/2 sugar break as well that will also work.

Find what works for you.

Cheers, Oskaar
Thanks, PB
I had not planned on nutrients at the 2/3 break. I thought it would be too late. I'll make sure to put in a gram or so of Fermaid-K. Brewlog (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13791)

Poobah58
01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
FYI, the sulfur is gone this morning...