PDA

View Full Version : First Cyser

Paulc
01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
First off I would like to that everyone for all the help with my first mead (mod JAO) it took a little longer than expected to mature but it sure is tasty now!
Here is the deal my neighbors back home have several small orchards and a small commercial cider press. So I have acquired 3gallons of pure apple cider no preservatives no pasturizing. This stuff tastes great by itself but I think it will make some great mead instead. :) I am thinking about this recipe please tell me what you think and if it will work since I am coming up with this all on my own.
5 gallon batch
10-15lbs? sue bee clover honey
3g apple cider
8 sticks of cinnamon
4cloves
lalvin 71b 1122 yeast
Water to fill carboy if needed
Will this work, do I need anything else? Also the yeast I bought back last september it has been stored in my refriderator ever since will it still work?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Kee
01-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks pretty good. Just make sure you feed the yeast and watch your pH/temps. Oh, if you don't have a hydrometer, get one. It's worth the money! There are plenty of threads on must management. Oskaar in a Nutshell (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10631)is a good one.

capoeirista13
01-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I recently made a cyser and b/c it had so much sugar, it went 2% past its supposed tolerance, watch out for that

Paulc
01-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Ok so I am all ready to start this batch tonight. I have decided to go with 10lbs of honey. For nutrient I am using DAP at 1 tsp for 5g. I also bought a hydrometer but am not sure of what I am supposed to do with it. I assume I just measure the must right before I throw the yeast in then monitor for my 1/3 sugar break? at which point i shall stop my areation.

Vino
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Did you check the date on your yeast?

Paulc
01-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Good reminder! It says Jan 2011 and I have kept it in the fridge/ freezer since I got it. So it should have some kick in it.