PDA

View Full Version : Mazer Cup International

webmaster
01-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Announcing the Mazer Cup International, sponsored by Gotmead!!

Two heavyweights in the Mead world have partnered to bring a new era of mead competitions to the International Mead Community. The MAZER CUP, started by Ken Schramm, Dan McConnell and Mike O'Brien quickly became the de-facto standard for mead competitions in North America and set the standard for all of the mead-only competitions that followed.

With support from Ken Schramm, Dan McConnell and Mike O'Brien, Gotmead.com has picked up the baton and is bringing the Mazer Cup, possibly the most well-known mead competition, back from its hiatus. In keeping with the original Mazer Cup, our competition will give mazers to the winners of our home competition. We are also holding a worldwide commercial mead competition, and will be awarding new and distintive medals that we hope will soon become a coveted achievement in the commercial meadmaking market.

The team managing and supporting this event came out of the same team that brought you the hugely successful 2006, 2007 and 2008 HMMC (Home Meadmakers Competition). We are dedicated to bringing you the best competition we can!
Competition Details
The competitions will be held in Boulder, Colorado, at the Outlook Hotel, April 17-19.

We are now putting our judging team and support staff together, and will be contacting those who have helped with the old Meadfest competitions.

We will be holding both home and commercial competitions, and will start accepting entries about a month out from the event.

Join us in welcoming back the Mazer Cup!!! Keep an eye out here, and at http://www.mazercup.com, where we will be updating soon with more details on the competitions.

Thanks!

Vicky Rowe and Petar Bakulic, Owners, Gotmead.com, and
Glenn Exline, Dani Exline, Sheron Rowland, Ken Schramm & Wayne Boncyk, the MazerCup International Staff

The calendar entry is here: http://tinyurl.com/bvz6e8

Dan McFeeley
01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Wonderful! For those of with fond memories of the Mazer cup competition, this is really good news.

sandman
01-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Very cool! I've got my submission for this one ready and waiting. It's currently sitting in two unlabelled 750ml bottles so if I need to re-bottle it into 3-375ml bottles I'll have time to do it and still get them mailed off in time. I'll be waiting excitedly for more details on this competition.
:hello2:

epetkus
01-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Awesome!

I won't have anything ready by April of this year, but next year, who know?!

Eric

Vino
01-25-2009, 12:33 PM
That's GREAT!

Something to aspire for in 2010.

Summersolstice
01-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Great! I can't wait!! I've been keeping my fingers crossed for several months and I have high hopes for this event. Judging from the quality of the organizing staff, I know I won't be disappointed.

Vino
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I visited the Mazer Cup International site and it looks good...I am curious about entries however...does anyone know what size bottles and quatities will be accepted for entry yet?

Oskaar
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
The bottles should be standard 12 oz beer bottles that are free of labels, or raised/embossed/etched decoration or writing. They should be capped with plain bottlecaps that have no insignia, or blacked out with a black permanent marker.

Three bottles are requested. This guarantees that if you win a gold in the preliminary rounds there will be enough mead left after the judging to send your entry to the Best of Show round. You may send just two bottles, but if you win a gold we cannot guarantee that there will be enough mead to send up the to the BoS round after the first round and any mini-BoS rounds that become necessary. It would be a SHAME to win a gold and not be able to represent in the BoS round.

I'm updating the Mazer Cup Site so the latest and greatest information will be out there by this weekend.

Cheers, Oskaar

osluder
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
The bottles should be standard 12 oz beer bottles ... capped with plain bottlecaps ...

I generally keg for long term storage and when I do bottle I transfer from keg to flip top-style bottles. No leeway in the capped bottle requirement? I'd hate to have to buy bottles, caps, and a capper just to enter the odd competition. -- Olen

wayneb
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry, Olen. The crown capped plain beer bottles are pretty much standard in most large competitions. That ensures a modicum of anonymity when the bottles are presented to the judging team for inspection prior to the first pour. If you were to use flip-tops, or raised relief molded glass bottles, or strange sized bottles, or decorated crown caps, etc., it would be easy for a judge who just happens to know how you bottle, to identify your entries out of the flight.

Medsen Fey
02-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Bummer.... My best stuff (mind you, that ain't saying much) is in wine bottles with corks. :(

osluder
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
The crown capped plain beer bottles ... [ensure] a modicum of anonymity when the bottles are presented to the judging team for inspection prior to the first pour.

Sure, makes absolute sense. Out of idle curiosity, how are things like full-sparkling meads handled or are those not commonly entered in competition? Not sure I want to try to generate more than 3 or 4 atmospheres of pressure in a standard beer bottle: it might be a shattering experience. ;D -- Olen

Kee
02-05-2009, 02:39 AM
NO PUNS!!! The thread will deteriorate into chaos!

Oskaar
02-05-2009, 02:55 AM
OK, I think we all might be feeling the pressure so I'll head off any pun disagreements and put a cap on this discussion and say that I want Got Mead to be the premier mead site with a friendly atmosphere so our members will be primed to discuss any condition they encounter in their meadmaking adventures. Absent feeling riddled with questions about recipes and process, members will hopefully expand their knowledge of meadmaking and bubble up their questions to the Got Mead community rather than be timid and keep their thoughts bottled up. This way we foam-ment a sparkling example of a counter-pop culture site who are still seen as helpful rather than pettilant. OK, I'll put a cork in it, Mumms the word! Damn, my car is on empty, better go buy de-gas!

wildaho
02-05-2009, 03:38 AM
OK, I think we all might be feeling the pressure so I'll head off any pun disagreements and put a cap on this discussion and say that I want Got Mead to be the premier mead site with a friendly atmosphere so our members will be primed to discuss any condition they encounter in their meadmaking adventures. Absent feeling riddled with questions about recipes and process, members will hopefully expand their knowledge of meadmaking and bubble up their questions to the Got Mead community rather than be timid and keep their thoughts bottled up. This way we foam-ment a sparkling example of a counter-pop culture site who are still seen as helpful rather than pettilant. OK, I'll put a cork in it, Mumms the word! Damn, my car is on empty, better go buy de-gas!

http://www.ratebeer.com/images/smilies/16_s.gifhttp://www.ratebeer.com/images/smilies/16_s.gifhttp://www.ratebeer.com/images/smilies/16_s.gif

You flip my top Pete! You've got this pun thing screwed down. I might wax and wayne but you are always on top! I've been foiled again, damn it. In a capsule, I am feeling some sham pain. It will pass. Still, I refuse to boldly go where others have gone. If I have to explain myself, well, I'm not doing my part. I'll probably bomb but at least I won't be flat!

osluder
02-05-2009, 04:13 AM
NO PUNS!!! The thread will deteriorate into chaos!

Sorry, Kee. I opened Pun-dora's box. ;D

[H]ow are things like full-sparkling meads handled ... ?

I got to considering my last post and thought of the small bottles of Belgian ale (Duvel, I believe?) where they cork and then cap, but those are pretty distinctive bottles too I recall. -- Olen

wayneb
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Olen, to answer your question about sparkling meads (No puns, I promise! ;) ) and to cover Medsen's concerns, if we work with the same entry constraints as we used for last year (and I think that Glenn is planning to keep it pretty much the same), it will also be acceptable to submit your entries in corked 375 ml or 750 ml bottles. So you can use plain, unmarked Champagne splits (or full sized bottles if you're feeling generous!) with champagne corks and cages, provided that there are no logos printed anywhere on the cork. Same for still meads bottled in wine bottles.

Again, the rules of anonymity will apply -- no distinctive bottle shapes, no markings of any kind on the corks, and you'll be good to go. Stay tuned to the Mazer Cup International website for the actual rules for this year -- Glenn is getting them finalized and he should have them posted there shortly.

Kee
02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry, Kee. I opened Pun-dora's box. ;D

Olen, I lay this entirely at your feet...

Noe Palacios
02-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Vicky, Pete:

I want to be part of this event, but because of my job I am not sure if I can come in Flesh & Bones.

One thing is for sure, an aunt of mine is going to the USA in February, and she can take with her to Chicago my bottles and send to you, so I can participate in the competition.

The only thing is that the mead I have now is in Jerez wine bottles and they are with normacork corks. Can you make an exception with me?

I badly want to participate and badly want to go and IŽll do my best to be there.

Noe

Oskaar
02-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey Noe,

Please email me with your entry information and if this is a commercial or home mead competition entry.

Thanks, Pete

WRATHWILDE
02-07-2009, 05:16 AM
You flip my top Pete! You've got this pun thing screwed down. I might wax and wayne but you are always on top!

..Leave it to Oskaar to siphon off all the good puns before the rest of us can rack our brains. It's true that many prolific writers were fueled by Alcohol, but Oskaar is the only one I know who has an Alcohol by Volume tattoo.

..There's only one person whose base is sufficient to make even Oskaar shit brix, and here I am. Puns are my game, and I've never been known to bochet. Now that I've got a captive audience... or fortified by the sounds of it, lets get one thing crystal clear... how have you all bentonite? Good. Well, let me bring you a moment of clarity, casein point; Oskaar prefers brix but if your meads don't finish with balling you're doing it wrong.

..So grab the jugs and check out the legs. I know that some of you might take offense at this braggots brilliant humor, but when you've got a sweet honey liquor, and your wood barrels been prepped... it's very hard to resist filling the bunghole.

You'll find lots of brewers share the same sediment... at the bottom of a bottle, it's traditional.

..Bear with me a sec and I'll introduce you to some dry humor.

..Sur lie that's secondary to the primary question before us... what is the perfect blow-off for this pun filled thread? to which I must answer "Get me a carboy I'm outta here."

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

CarriageWorks
02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Is there an age limit?

wayneb
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
For the entrants, or the mead? ;D

Seriously, all entrants must be 21 yrs old or older -- in accordance with US law age limits on who can either commercially manufacture or homebrew.

CarriageWorks
02-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Then I am OK.

I have these 10 year old meads I want to get some feedback on.;D

The one has thrown a lot of sediment over the years (I think its the better of the 2) . It needs to rest upright for a while before decanting. Will that be a problem?

webmaster
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately guys, I've been off scrambling to keep afloat, my web business tanked with the economy and I'm working on a couple private projects to try to bring in some cash....if you know someone who needs a website, I have really reasonable pricing and payment plans, LOL....;D

Now, the competition. I'm working on the website, and will try to have it completely updated in the next couple days (Pete call me, need to touch base on a couple points). It will have all the rules, etc. at that point. Entries will open up at the end of February for commercial entries and in March for home entries. If you are submitting home entries and are international, contact us so we can help you make sure your entries make it in time (we can't speak for customs of course, but we can offer advice).

As the others have said, all home entries must be in plain bottles, with unmarked corks or caps, and no identifying characteristics. Be sure to include copies of your entry paperwork (the entry process will be electronic thanks to Glenn) with *all* shipped entries, so we can id your brew!!

If you have worked competitions before, as either a judge or a support person (steward, pourer, etc.), we are always looking for experienced folks to volunteer to help out. PM me or Pete if you're interested. This is a volunteer gig, there isn't any pay besides getting to drink lots of great mead (and some beers, since lots of folks bring other stuff to share), hobnob with some of the biggest names in meadmaking like Ken Schramm, and party after the competitions.

That being said, this is *only* a competition, not a tasting session or party for any who happen to be in the hotel at the time. So if you are just coming out to drink, you'll be disappointed. The awards parties are limited in size, and the folks who will be invited will be judges, staff, and invited guests. The hotel has room size limits on our awards rooms, so we have to observe that. If you want to come to Boulder, please realize that 90% of the folks there will be working most of the time, so you'll need to provide your own entertainment. In future years, I hope to see this thing expand to a trade show/festival/competition, but we're not there yet!

Vicky - who is in 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :eek:' mode trying to get this thing ready....LOL

webmaster
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Then I am OK.

I have these 10 year old meads I want to get some feedback on.;D

The one has thrown a lot of sediment over the years (I think its the better of the 2) . It needs to rest upright for a while before decanting. Will that be a problem?

Nope, it won't.

Yummy, 10-year old meads!!

Vicky - back to working on the Mazer Cup website....

WRATHWILDE
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
The bottles should be standard 12 oz beer bottles that are free of labels, or raised/embossed/etched decoration or writing. They should be capped with plain bottlecaps that have no insignia, or blacked out with a black permanent marker.

..Will 22 oz plain beer bottles be accepted? Unfortunately this is what all my Competition mead is bottled in, as I recall the earlier IMA Mead competitions asked for (2) 22 oz beer bottles, so everything I have been bottling for our mead competition since has been in 22 oz plain beer bottles. I'd hate to miss this because you guys changed the accepted bottle size, especially since I already have a number of batches bottled and set aside for our competition.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

wayneb
02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I have taken to re-bottling for competitions (something that I wasn't into until recently), but since I have more empty 22 oz. bombers around than 12's, I'd also like to use the 22 oz. bottles if possible. ;D

Medsen Fey
02-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Well, while we are lobbying for change, I think that entries with wine bottles and corks ought to be accepted. Certainly in wine competitions that include mead it is done. Also, given that bottling with cork for longer aging may be preferred by many, it might expand the number of entries that have longer aging. I think a plain bottle can maintain anonymity.

The judges will just need to learn to use a corkscrew instead of their teeth. ;D

Vino
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Well, while we are lobbying for change, I think that entries with wine bottles and corks ought to be accepted.

There is an earlier post by wayneb that states 375 and 750ml wine bottles with corks would be accepted.

Medsen Fey
02-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Excellent!
I'm sorry I missed that - thread's getting kinda long. :tard:

Oskaar
02-12-2009, 05:43 AM
Here's the rub folks.

There is a reason for each rule. For example, having bottles larger than 14 ounces (and of differing design) can and does cause problems with handling and storage. This is especially true when trying to stack entries in case boxes. Most competitions require more than one bottle because an extra bottle will be needed for those entries moving on to the best of show round. We get over two hundred entries each year so that means we have to stack and store those bottles carefully and transport them to the competition site with a minimal of jostling and possible breakage. This takes time and people who are willing to lug the mead around. Trust me when I say, one odd sized bottle in a case just adds to the possibility of breakage during transport.

Distinctive and easily identifiable shaped bottles, colored bottles (other than brown), raised lettering etc all make the bottles easy to identify. We take very clear steps to ensure that no judges or stewards come in contact with mead that they have entered during the competition. However, this does not preclude a judge from recognizing a bottle (like a blue corked bottle, or any other distinctive bottle) of a friend who has entered. If a judge is familiar with the bottles used by a friend it introduces bias and an unfair advantage if the judge is predisposed to favor his friend's mead.

This forces us into a very awkward position when we receive bottles that aren't bottled to the standard. We have to disqualify the entry. We can't return the mead because we can't afford the shipping and don't have the materials to do so. In some cases if someone is kind enough to donate empty 12 ounce beer bottles we can re-bottle and crown cap some of the non-compliant entries. Again, this takes time, material and people resource (finding a local with a crown capper, bottles, sanitizer, siphons, etc.) we really don't have. We can also pour the mead into glasses somewhere out of the judges sight (additional glasses, stewards, handlers and possible breakage of the glasses as they're transported to the judging table) and bring it to the judging table already poured. Once again, time, resource and people that we don't have.

Most competitions can and do use two bottles per entry. The first bottle is used for the first round; the second bottle for the Best Of Show (BOS) round if the beer wins its category. Three bottles does mean that judges don’t have to save 1⁄2 bottles for Best Of Style (Mini-BOS), or second rounds. It also provides for an extra bottle in case of breakage. Three bottles also means that your mead doesn't have to sit opened and exposed to air through the lunch break and beyond if your mead was judged in the first morning rounds, and is moving on to the BoS or Mini BoS round.

Bottom line is we're doing this on a very limited budget, with limited personnel, time, and space. We need to make this as simple to manage and store as is possible with the resources we have at hand. Many of us are flying halfway across the country to be there and judge, steward, manage and oversee the event. We're also incurring the expense of doing so individually. I personally do not enter my meads in this event because I feel it is unseemly to do so, and I would rather avoid any hint of impropriety than to compromise the integrity of the event.

Even with the care we take, if I were to win a medal at this event many people would feel there was favoritism shown. We (and most other competitions) get complaints from people that their mead did not get fair consideration and that the judging was biased in favor of "friends" of the judges and competition organizers. This is one area where we are different than other "club" hosted competitions, that is, we are not a homebrew club hosting a competition in a local or geographic area, we are a geographically diverse group and the competition is club independent, so no "good old boys" network is running the show.

My advice to all who want to use their own special bottles is that most national, BJCP sanctioned competitions you're going to enter use this standard, and it's a proven and successful model. Is it perfect? Nope, but it's what we're working with at present, and that doesn't mean we won't change it down the road, but for now this represents the simplest, safest and most economical process for this competition.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. I'll discuss additional possibilities with our Judge Director, Glenn Exline and follow-up here on Got Mead? with our decision.

WRATHWILDE
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
..Damn, so 12 oz capped it is for all future IMA/Mazer Cup competitions. Now that we've settled that... Don't go changing or I'll have to brew up a special batch of Judges Whoop-Ass Mead. What's that food that was in the news a few months ago, the one that fools your taste buds into thinking sour, acidic or bitter foods are sweet and its effects lasts a couple of hours? Ah yes, google search does it, Miracle Berry, anyway that will be the base... Bwahaha.

The "Miracle Fruit" plant, or in scientific terms: Synsepalum Dulcificum, is one of nature's "magical" products. Upon consuming Magic Berries, eating sour foods (like citrus fruits, and wine!) will magically taste sweet instead. - turning lemons into candies and wine into soda. You take a berry and leave it in your mouth for about a minute, and within the next hour, anything sour you eat will literally taste like magic (so that's how magic tastes like?).

The science behind this is that these magic fruits contain a protein called "Miraculin" that stays in your taste buds which has a (nice) chemical reaction when it comes in contact with acidic elements. Now I'm imagining a lot of parties having these magic berries around.

According to Wiki, one drawback is that the Miracle Berries can't be cooked, because miraculin is a protein and proteins lose their potency when heated. Still nice to have in those cocktails I suppose.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Vino
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
There is an earlier post by wayneb that states 375 and 750ml wine bottles with corks would be accepted.

Sorry Medsen,

I guess I spoke too soon...I think I'll wait until the rules are posted on the Mazer Cup site.

CarriageWorks
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Any re-bottling tips?

I suppose I have to invest in some of those oxygen absorbing caps.

Oskaar
02-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey folks,

We're working on "Bottle-Gate" at present so we'll have an answer today or tonight. I'm updating the website and the complete rules and regs will be posted there in the next two days.

For those of you rebottling, here's what I recommend.

Sanitize everything really well
Keep both the "from and to" bottles as cold as you can
Use oxygen adsorbing caps
Flood your receiving bottles with CO2
Sanitize your receiving bottles and lay sanitized caps on top once flooded with CO2
Transfer as quickly as you can and have a second body doing the capping so you're not distracted
Pouring is the least desirable, funnel is more desirable, siphon is better
Angle the bottles to minimize splashing, foaming and general aeration during transfer when pouring or using a funnel
Wine shops carry funnels that are stainless steel and have angle cut tubing to minimize aeration during pouring, this would be a good investment
Check your seals once they're capped and again before you ship
If entering a still mead be ABSOLUTELY sure it is degassed when you bottle, Boulder, CO is up there and mead degases more readily at altitude
If you are re-bottling, re-bottle your mead and ship your mead as close to the due date as you feel is safe to ensure arrival within the cutoff date
If you have an Enolmatic or another bottling device that works on evacuation of the target bottle, this is a perfect application for it.

Cheers, Oskaar

Oskaar
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
THIS JUST IN!

We discussed the "Bottle-Gate" issue, and here's the way we feel is going to work best.

You may enter 12 oz, brown or green crown capped beer bottles. No designs, no logos, raised lettering, etc. on the caps or bottles, or your entry will be disqualified. The caps must be plain colored or blacked out with permanent marker. You may enter just two bottles if you want, however, you do so knowing full well that if your mead progresses past the first medal round there may not be enough mead to take you to BoS. You also know that if one of the two bottles is broken during shipping or transferring you're basically screwed if you have an outstanding mead that could progress to the medal and BoS round. Three bottles will CYA and get you to the medal and BoS round if your mead is judged to be that darned good.

You may also enter 375 ml, clear or green corked wine-style bottles. No designs, no logos, raised lettering, etc on the corks or bottles, or your entry will be disqualified. You may enter just two bottles if you want, however, you do so knowing full well that if your mead progresses past the first medal round there may not be enough mead to take you to BoS. You also know that if one of the two bottles is broken during shipping or transferring you're basically screwed if you have an outstanding mead that could progress to the medal and BoS round. Three bottles will CYA and get you to the medal and BoS round if your mead is judged to be that darned good.

Best of Luck, Pete Bakulic, your friendly neighborhood competition dude

fa-1397
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi, all. I'm fairly new to mead making, but I'm interested in flying out to Boulder for the competition. I'm anxious to learn as much as I can and this seems like it would be a great opportunity to meet some masters of the craft. I haven't previously participated in or attended such a competition and would like to know if there will be be things going on for non-competitors to do (i.e. mead tastings or mead making workshops).

If this has been covered elsewhere, I apologize. I've combed through the Mazer Cup site and searched the Got Mead forum, but haven't been able to find conclusive evidence of the existence of such activities. :)

wayneb
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi, fa-1397! This year since the competition is essentially being re-formed, there are no planned formal adjunct activities. However, if you are willing to work, we'll take you up on the offer and I can assure you that you'll get to meet all the mead luminaries who show up for the event. Face time with folks like Ken Schramm will be very limited (he's in demand in so many ways that we can't guarantee everyone who wants to talk with him gets that chance), but I will guarantee you that Pete, Leonora, myself, etc., will be "in your face" for most of the event! ;D

So, if you are interested in attending and helping out with tasks such as stewarding, logistics & staging, etc., please send me a PM with your name, address, email and phone number. Also let us know when you plan on arriving at the Outlook hotel in Boulder on that weekend. If you're interested in learning more about mead while being immersed in the activities of the competition we'll show you a good time!

webmaster
02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
;D You beat me to it, Wayne. fa-1397, what he said. We hope to add such activities in future years, but we're in rebuild mode right now and don't have the personnel or cash to provide extra activities. However, this is usually a who's-who of the world's meadmakers, so if you don't mind working, you'll get your chance to go to the parties and meet the Folks.......

sandman
02-17-2009, 10:47 PM
"You may enter 12 oz, brown or green crown capped beer bottles. No designs, no logos, raised lettering, etc. on the caps or bottles, or your entry will be disqualified."

Well, I picked up a capper, some oxygen absorbing caps, and a case of brown 12oz bottles today on the way home from work. My entries have now been rebottled and are ready and waiting to be shipped in. Two 750ml bottles filled four 12 oz bottles with half a glass left over for my wife. Minimal investment and now I'm ready for different competitions as they occur. ;D

CBiebel
02-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Well, I figure I can use some of my brother's CO2 setup to rebottle the two bottles I currently have. Luckily, I had just realized a few days ago that I have a source for a 3rd bottle. A while back I gave my bosses two bottles of mead, a JAO and my traditional mead. They tried the JAO one, but hadn't opened the traditional (one of them claimed that she wanted to see how it aged, although I think that they were just procrastinating in trying it). She said that she'd be willing to return it so that I could use it for the competition, provided that I later replace it (I'm making another batch this weekend using the same recipe).

Xixist
03-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Hello. Being that I am having difficulty locating 375 ml bottles, (The splits I find are 187 ml), I am bottling into 750 ml plain clear bottles with unmarked corks. I shall send three to the competition and I shall pray that they don't disqualify me for bottle size. Anyone out there wish to send up a red flag to this strategy?
Many thanx, Xixist

sandman
03-12-2009, 09:11 PM
*delete* *delete* *delete* Post removed because I obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Sorry about that. :BangHead:

webmaster
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Edit: OK, I really should learn to check my own rules....this is what happens when you don't sleep I guess.

Correction:
We can't take the 750 clears because they are too easy to identify. The bottle requirements are:

# Beer Bottles: Two or three 12 oz brown or green crown capped beer bottles. Crown caps must be plain or blacked out with permanent marker.
# Wine Bottles: Two or three 375 ml clear or green wine-style bottles with cork closures. Corks may not bear any designs and may not be sealed with wax, foil or heat shrink capsules.

I'm afraid we can't take non-conforming bottles because the bottles come to the judging tables, and must not be identifiable, to ensure fair judging on all entries. We can't re-bottle those that aren't using the standard bottles, so they can't be judged if they come in not in the bottles..

We'd love to have you enter, Xixist. See if you can lay your hands on some beer bottles. They're super cheap at the brew shop, or you could just drink a six and refill them.

Vicky - who has another case of used wine bottles from friends to soak, de-label, sanitize and fill....

exlineg
03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry, but we cannot accept 750ml bottles in the home comp. (See page 2 of this thread!)

1) They would be too distinct. 2) They will not fit into standard case boxes which means they are at risk of breakage during transfer.

I know this makes it a bit more difficult for folks, but the integrity of the competition and safety of our volunteers have to come first.

Do you have any friends who are homebrewers? (Do you want some? :-) )

If you PM me with your location I may be able to help hook you up with someone who has access to a capper which will mean you have to send a lot less of your precious mead as well. :-)

Cheers,
Glenn

Xixist
03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Hello. I am unable to locate 375 ml bottles and there is little time left to order up some. I plan on bottling my Mazer Cup entry in three 750 ml clear, unmarked bottles with blank corks. Does anyone see a red flag in my strategy? Will it be accepted for judging?
Thanx -Xixist

Oskaar
03-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Save your mead and bottle your entries in three 12 ounce beer bottles.

You're about a 45 minute drive away from More Beer in Riverside as well. You can purchase bottles there and if you don't have a bottle capper I'll speak to Rob (the Manager) and ask him to help you cap them. They're very cool folks there and will be more than willing to help. They can also get you a box of bottles in plenty of time for you to fill them and ship them before the entry deadline.

There are also several meadmakers there in the Riverside area that would probably be willing to help you bottle up some mead (for a glass or two :) ) and I would be happy to put them in touch with you to see if they can help.

Hope that helps, Oskaar

Xixist
03-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanx so much Pete and Vicky. Sorry about the multiple posts in different areas. I am better at mazing than I am at computers, at least I hope so.
Xixist

webmaster
03-13-2009, 08:15 AM
No worries, Xixist!! Good luck with your entries in the competition!

CarriageWorks
03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Doggone,

I just realized my 375 ml bottles are brown.

why only green or clear wine yet brown beer??

Oskaar
03-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Brown is fine.

Cheers, Oskaar

docdean1
03-15-2009, 05:48 PM
registered for the competition the other night and the mead will be on its way shortly after the first place spot ;D

Noe Palacios
03-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I registered yesterday. I hope that my bottles will arrive on time.

Oh boy, how exiting it is!!!

sandman
03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm in it mostly for the feedback, but it really is pretty exciting to submit a mead for competition.

Oskaar
03-16-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm in it mostly for the feedback, but it really is pretty exciting to submit a mead for competition.

I think you really touched on what the whole idea of a competition is. That is the excitement of entering your mead into a field of meads made by people who really like mead. However you fare in the competition itself, I can tell you that the judging experience is really and extension of what you're saying. I remember different competitions from the really great meads that were entered and the really unique styles, combinations of ingredients and blending of characters that make each mead stand out on it's own.

There will be some meads that people will remember for a lifetime, some that are truly outstanding and others that need refinement and reformulation; but, it doesn't alter the fact that they all touch me as a judge in a very real way. That is, each of them are an extension of the creative thought and style of the meadmaker at the time they were formulating the mead. It's a living history of the meadmaker in a glass, and a way to connect to other meadmakers, enthusiasts and people in general.

Mead is about life in my opinion. It's a reflection of how we live, love, and celebrate life and living.

Cheers, Oskaar

docdean1
03-19-2009, 07:01 PM
is there a way to find out if your bottles made it to the shipping point intact or would notifying be too much extra work for the people receiving them? just curious

Oskaar
03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
You can send an email to HomeRegistrar AT mazercup DOT com, and they will check as time permits and get back to you.

Cheers, Oskaar

wayneb
03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Since I'm managing the home entry receipts, you can PM me directly if you'd like, and I can check for you. I wouldn't want to do this for everyone who enters (verifying over a hundred deliveries will be tedious, especially since 80% of them will come in during the last week prior to competition) but anyone in the Gotmead community who happens to read this note can consider it one of the fringe benefits of Gotmead participation -- and of course, Patrons will get their acknowledgements first! ;D

Oskaar
03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Wayne et All,

Please do not PM Wayne.....

for these types of requests. We already have an official Home Registrar email on the Mazer Cup website specifically for this purpose. Our process is to have a single request channel in order to ensure that we address these requests as we are able and time permits without having to check multiple sources.

Thanks, Pete

wayneb
03-19-2009, 11:41 PM
On second thought, Pete's right. Don't PM me. Any requests for verification will get to me via the email address that he already provided, and that way I don't have to look for them in multiple locations.

Patrons of Gotmead still get preference! ;)

Oskaar
03-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Good deal. Wayne has a very busy career and he's on the road quite a bit so it becomes very difficult to keep track of requests outside of the Mazer Cup email channel. I didn't want to take advantage of the generous amount of time and expertise he's already brought to this endeavor by adding another item to his already long list of contributions.

Cheers, and thanks for understanding, Pete

Xixist
03-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Hello. Again I think I have found a way to impede myself. I sent in my registration electronically and now realize i labeled it as regular rather than sack strength. Should I contact the mazer cup folks, or include a corrected form with my bottles that are ready to send?
Xixist

exlineg
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Just send an email to HomeRegistrar@mazercup.com with the changes that need to be made. We'll take care of the updates on the backend database.

Cheers,
Glenn

Beertracker
03-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered somewhere in this thread, but what exactly does "Corks may not bear any designs..." actually mean in regards to the corked wine bottle rules. Most corks that I have or seen lately have some type of grape & leaf or manufacturer-type design e.g. Nomacorc. Will these types be DQ'd if sent in. ??? TIA

wayneb
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Yup - we're being pretty Draconian with this rule, since it is one way to ID a particular set of bottles out of the masses. You can find blank (unprinted) corks pretty much wherever labeled corks are sold -- unless your particular LHBS isn't willing to stock them. In that case, you can get them from almost any mail-order homebrew supply shop. As a case in point, here's the MoreWine cork selection page: http://morewinemaking.com/search?search=corks&=Search

I'm not specifically endorsing MoreWine as a supplier, although I use them regularly and have never had a complaint with their service. I'm just using them to show that plain, undecorated corks are out there!

Medsen Fey
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I didn't want to take advantage of the generous amount of time and expertise he's already brought to this endeavor by adding another item to his already long list of contributions.

Speaking of contributions, for those of us not able to pitch in and be there to help shoulder the burden (literally), is there a mechanism by which we can donate some funds to help support the event. I think all of us want it to be a roaring success!

webmaster
03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Wow, that is really cool of you!! Yeah, if anyone wishes to make become an Individual Sponsor for the Mazer Cup International, just send your contribution to info@mazercup.com, and put 'Sponsorship' in the info box for what it is for. We'll get your name up on the Sponsor page in thanks!

Dang, you guys are great ::sniff::

Vicky - off to call some more commercial meaderies to get them to hurry up and ship.....

Xixist
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I sent my entry bottles off today. After speaking with More Wine on the topic of competitions, I was sent plain T-corks for the 375 ml bottles. I expect they knew what I needed.
On a side note..Pete, I don't know how to get a hold of you other than here. I am more artist than mechanic if you know what I mean. Flag me down again or E-mail me at (email anonymized by Oskaar), and I'll say 'where and when'.
Xixist

jt852
03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
I don't think you want T-corks. Those are generally used for resealing bottles between pours. T-corks have a plastic cap on them that will make them rather unique. Morewine may have thought that you wanted them to use in the competition between rounds? I suspect what you want is something like MoreWine stock number W414B. Plain unprinted corks.

Xixist
03-25-2009, 02:32 AM
That would be easy enough if they were not in the mail
Xixist

Xixist
03-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Murphy wrote his book of laws after he spent an afternoon with me...
Xixist