• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm writing a paper on mead/brewing for class

Barrel Char Wood Products

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
So I'm in a food/travel and writing class and I have to write two papers, one of which is very open. So I thought I would do it on either homebrewing or just mead in general. I was thinking if I did homebrewing I could talk about some stuff I've read about how homebrewers have impacted beer drinking around the country with the building of microbreweries and stuff. And if I do meadmaking I can go with what mead is, why it is so great to me personally, the history of mead, mead now, mead in the future. So, does anyone here have any ideas on stuff to write about, or any sources for me? I was probably going to rely heavily on The Compleat Meadmaker's history section.

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
So, does anyone here have any ideas on stuff to write about, or any sources for me? I was probably going to rely heavily on The Compleat Meadmaker's history section.

I say go with the mead paper. Also, don't forget the main Got Mead? web site as a source as well: Vicky, et al. have amassed quite a bit of information there. -- Olen

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
the search function here in the forums is a good source as well. Look for history or historical with Dan McFeely as the author--he seems to be the resident mead historian around here.

good luck with the paper,

Z

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
hey man thats a good tip indeed, thanks a lot!

Also Osluder, good call on using the main site, I'm on the forums so much I forget the main site exists sometimes, lol.

I will be sure to do those searches Wolfie.

Thanks for these tips yal', I already know my prof is gonna like this paper, b/c he wanted me to bring in my petit syrah pyment, lol.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Like they say, there is quite a bit on the main site. There are a number of meadery articles, as well as history, archeological reports and tons of other stuff you might find helpful. Feel free to email me to talk if you'd like, too.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
My professor wanted me to do my paper on my experience as an independent homebrewer. So does anyone have any idea as to where I thought I could find out about state-specific (meaning for PA in my case) liquor laws, as well as stuff like homebrewing regulations? I remember some people talking about stuff like you can only brew x gallons before its not considered a hobby anymore and stuff like that.

**I found it here**

http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/legal.html

http://www.beertown.org/statutes/usa.htm

those were two very useful links, the first concerning law by state, specifically PA, the second concerning age and gallonage restrictions

Last edited:

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
So does anyone have any idea as to where I thought I could find out about state-specific (meaning for PA in my case) liquor laws, as well as stuff like homebrewing regulations? I remember some people talking about stuff like you can only brew x gallons before its not considered a hobby anymore and stuff like that.

There is a federal law that exempts 100 gallons per adult or 200 gallons per household from taxation, but the individual states actual control the legality. Have you tried Googling for something like "pa liquor laws"? Most states have either a liquor control board or an alcoholic beverage commission (as in the case of Texas). Try the Google search mentioned and look for one of those two terms or something similar. The American Homebrewers Association may have info too. -- Olen

Last edited:

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeh no problem, I'll put up a first draft tonight if I can finish it. It is supposed to be a 1500 word paper, but I expect it will end up being longer, and we will just have to trim it down in class. There is just so much information, I have so many directions to go on this paper, I'm not sure which is best.

I'd also appreciate if maybe I write something wrong or just slightly erroneous if anyone here could correct me, or just if you have an interesting anecdote or tidbit of info, or an idea on a different direction. It is only a rough draft due by Monday after all.

Last edited:

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
OK, here is my rough draft, enjoy!

Chris Shaw
Food Essay
02/02/08
Jason Wilson
Honors 202-501

NEED A GOOD TITLE

Pennsylvania liquor law states:
(a) Beer.--For purposes of this chapter (except when used with reference to distilling or distilling material) the term "beer" means beer, ale, porter, stout, and other similar fermented beverages (including sake or similar products) of any name or description containing one-half of 1 percent or more of alcohol by volume, brewed or produced from malt, wholly or in part, or from any substitute therefore. (e) Beer for personal or family use.--Subject to regulation prescribed by the Secretary, any adult may, without payment of tax, produce beer for personal or family use and not for sale. The aggregate amount of beer exempt from tax under this subsection with respect to any household shall not exceed: (1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are 2 or more adults in such household, or (2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only 1 adult in such household. For purposes of this subsection, the term "adult" means an individual who has attained 18 years of age, or the minimum age (if any) established by law applicable in the locality in which the household is situated at which beer may be sold to individuals, whichever is greater. (Beertown)
This basically means that anyone over 18 years of age can legally homebrew in Pennsylvania. They can not, however, legally drink the product that they create. If this person is living alone they can brew up to 100 gallons per year, any more than that and it becomes illegal. If, however, this person lives with at least one more adult, then they can brew up to 200 gallons per year, any more than that and it becomes illegal. If this person lives with 2 other adults, they can not brew 300 gallons. The amount that a household can legally brew is capped at 200 gallons as long as it is not a business. Furthermore, any alcoholic beverage brewed at home can only be used for personal consumption, gift-giving, and competition. It may not be sold without a liquor license. A beverage is labeled as alcoholic as long as it is 0.5% ABV, no matter what it is called or made from. As an interesting side note, distilling is illegal without a license no matter what your age or situation. The reason behind this is that poorly made distilled beverages harbor serious health risks (blindness) and can cause extensive property damage (explosives distillers).

I didn’t know any of this when I first started homebrewing. I just read a description of mead in a fantasy novel and though, wow, this sounds amazing! I also needed to get a gift for my brother’s and sister’s respective weddings, so it was a twofer. I had tried beer years ago and wasn’t a fan. I assumed I would grow to appreciate the taste, especially because I was in college now. I was wrong, beer tasted horrible before and it still tastes horrible now, for the most part. Then there was wine. I come from a family that, for the most part, thinks wine is the best alcoholic beverage there is. A small portion the family is loyal to a few select beers, Stella Artois comes to mind, but for the most part my family is a wine family. So naturally I have tried wine as well. I am not much of a fan of wine either, particularly red wines. And I dislike wines for the very reason that other people like them so much, their acids. Supposedly wines match very well with certain meals, and their acids contribute a lot to this, but to me it is just an extra burn which I find unnecessary. So finally there was only this mystical beverage left, mead.
I was on co-op at the time that I reached this conclusion and had a lot of time to kill, so I did a lot of internet searches and came across a website, which is essentially a mead Bible to many homebrewers across the country. It goes by the name of GotMead.com. I learned a lot about mead. The first and mode important thing I learned was that it was made predominantly from honey. Just like beers and wines, it went by many different names, depending on how it was made. A melomel is mead made with fruit, a metheglin is mead made with spices like cloves and cinnamon, a cyser is a cider whose fermentable sugars are at least 50% honey, a pyment is a wine whose fermentable sugars are at least 50% honey, hippocras is actually a spiced pyment, and a braggot is a beer whose fermentable sugars are 50% honey.
I read and planned for roughly 3 months before I finally went to my local homebrew store, Home Sweet Homebrew, and bought the necessary equipment and ingredients. My first mead was going to be a blueberry mead, primarily because my local homebrew store only had blueberry and clove honey, and blueberry sounded much more appealing. Also, we had about 2 lbs of blueberries at home in the fridge so I thought that sounded like a good idea. The ingredients for my first batch of mead looked like this.
Ingredients
10 lbs (1 gallon) blueberry honey
2 lbs blueberries
4 gallons of water
1.5 tsp Irish Moss
2 tsp yeast nutrient
10 g D-47 yeast

My process was pretty simple now that I look back on it, but at the time it seemed incredibly intimidating. First I boiled 4 gallons of water, while slowly adding in the honey. The smell that emanated from this was heavenly, and I thought if the final product is anything like this then I have made the right choice in creating a blueberry mead as my first project. After I threw all 5 gallons of this mixture into my primary fermenter, which was a big white food-grade bucket with a spout on the bottom, I added my yeast nutrient, blueberries, and Irish Moss which I had boiled for 15 minutes. Then I threw the yeast on top of this and mixed like my life depended on it. Then I closed up the fermenter and waited until I started to see bubbles. Over the next week I opened up the fermenter and mixed everything around a lot, this is called aeration and is used to get oxygen into the must to help the yeast to ferment. The must is what you call the original mixture of honey and water. I let this go for about three weeks and then I racked it into a glass carboy. To rack means to transfer from one container to another, you do it to help clear the final product. A carboy is a glass or plastic container for fermenting drinks. It looks like the thing on top of a water cooler. Over the course of the next 3 months I racked it one or two more times and then bottled it. It shouldn’t have been bottled yet, truth be told, but I wanted to have it ready for my sister’s wedding as my brother’s had already passed, and I would have to mail him his bottles and accompanying crystal goblets. On the same day I was bottling my mead, my mom was having a small family dinner with some relatives, I thought it would be a good idea to bring a sample bottle of my golden creation and see what everyone thought. I thought it tasted pretty good, a bit like alcoholic honey water. But my family thought differently, the consensus was…tastes a bit like beer, I think I’ll stick to my red wine. I thought maybe this just isn’t the right demographic, so a week later I brought a bottle to a party at my friend’s house. Here the reaction was much different. They ranged from, “This is good,” to “Wow this is really good, you made this? No way, you didn’t make this. Where did you make this?” I also noticed that although it tastes pretty good when you are sober, it tastes much better when you are drunk. Sober, it tastes like alcoholic honey water, but has no burn only a slight warming sensation, drunk it tasted like liquid blueberry candy.
I have learned a lot since that first batch, which I have dubbed wedding mead (12% ABV). I plan on making a new revised batch, called anniversary mead. It will essentially be the first one, but remade with all of the knowledge I have obtained since then.
I learned after I had made this that the Irish Moss was an unnecessary addition to my mead. It is actually a clearing agent used in beers, but mead does not mask the flavor well enough. This may have been the reason why my relatives thought it tasted a bit like beer. I would also not boil the honey. I learned later that boiling the honey essentially burns away a lot of the honey flavor and aroma from the final product; that is why it smelled so good as I boiled the initial must. I would also crush the blueberries as opposed to just throwing them in to the must. This would help to give the mead a more blueberry color, as well as a more pronounced blueberry flavor and also to give some nutrients to the yeast. Due to all of this knowledge, my anniversary mead would probably end up looking like this.
Ingredients
10 lbs blueberries in primary
-blueberry juice to fill up secondary
16 lbs blueberry honey in primary (not boiled)
3 vanilla beans in primary
-2 vanilla beans in secondary
10g 71B yeast
4 gals tap water boiled for primary
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2.5 tsp yeast energizer

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Second post because of character limit.

I have made quite a few batches since that first try. One was a spiced cyser, another was a petit syrah pyment, and a cranberry cider. The recipes for those are at the end of the paper. I feel like homebrewing all of these different things is a really good creative outlet. In fact, the cranberry cider I made was an attempt at making an imitation green apple cider, without any available green apples. That recipe still needs some tweaking. Next week I plan on making an orange vanilla cider whose taste is supposed to mimic an orange creamsicle or at least an orange cream soda. I’m sure I’ll have to tweak this recipe a bit too in order to get it right, but it is a learning process, and a fun one too. And when all is said and done, even if it didn’t come out the way you wanted it to, you can bet whatever you make will taste better than what you find in any store, and it is usually cheaper too.

**I wasn’t quite sure where this next part would go in the paper**
I hate to sound like Stephen from Top Chef, hilarious as his obnoxiousness is, but my palate has become a bit more accustomed to the things I taste now. I’m nowhere near saying that a wine is made from young grapes of the Burgundy region, or saying a beer is made from the freshest hops out of the Tettnang area from Germany, but I can now tell if something was made with a wine or an ale yeast, and whether it is dry, semi-sweet, or sweet, and even roughly how young it is, although it is a very rough approximation.
**end of unknown section**

Shaw’s Spiced Winter Cyser
-12 lbs Clove Honey
-5 gals Gala Apple cider
-1 Nutmeg nut
-2 Allspice Berries
-2 Cloves
-3 Cinnamon Sticks
-2.5 tsp Yeast Energizer
-2 tsp Fermax
- 10g D-47 yeast

Not So Petit Sweet Syrah Pyment
-70 lbs of petit syrah grapes
-10g RC 212 yeast
-12 lbs blueberry honey
-1.5 oz Medium Toast American Oak Cubes
-2.5 tsp Yeast Energizer
-2 tsp Fermax

Faux Green Apple Cider
1 gal Cranberry Juice
4 gal Gala Apple juice
2 lbs Cranberry Honey
11.5g S-33 yeast
-2.5 tsp Yeast Energizer
-2 tsp Fermax

Supreme Orange Cream
4 gal Gala Apple juice
1 gal Orange Juice
3-5 lbs Orange Blossom honey
11.5g Danstar’s Nottingham yeast
-2.5 tsp Yeast Energizer
-2 tsp Fermax

**I felt this paper was too instructional but I didn’t know about how else to go about it**

Bibliography
http://www.beertown.org/statutes/usa.htm

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It's a good first draft. You may want to start with an introduction paragraph rather than jumping into the legal descriptions, but that's just my opinion. Also, you talk about bubbling but don't explain that it's supposed to happen or anything about an airlock. Did you want to clarify?

I like the recipes at the end. It's a nice touch.

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
It is supposed to be a 1500 word paper, but I expect it will end up being longer, and we will just have to trim it down in class. There is just so much information, I have so many directions to go on this paper, I'm not sure which is best.

Just a general editorial thought: What is your target audience here? If the Prof was looking for your experiences, are you sure they wanted a cookbook? If you eliminate some of the ingredient lists and detailed processes you will reduce your word count. If you feel you need to, keep them at the end of the paper as reference material and don't include them in your count. -- Olen

Last edited:

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
What a perfect example of two conflicting opinions you two, lol. As for the bubbling it probably is a good idea for me to explain a bit more, that part hadn't occurred to me. Good call!

I was a bit concerned about how much it seemed like I was writing a brewlog though. So I probably will heavily reduce the process of making it the first time. I wasn't thinking about a target audience or anything like that, I was just writing. I don't really know what my prof is looking for, we were going around giving our ideas and discussing what would be a good direction to go in, but didn't get to my paper in time, so I wasn't sure which direction he wanted me to take with this.

I'm glad I put this up here, any more input would be greatly appreciated!

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
What a perfect example of two conflicting opinions you two, lol.

Nah, no real disagreement. Kee was basically letting you come to your own opinion about the general tone of the paper and offering specific criticism. I was having you step back and really figure out what that tone should be. Besides we do both agree on the recipes going at the end. I would add to her suggestion about the legalese and recommend you elide a lot of it: do you really need a legal definition of beer? ;D I would add citations referencing the detailed laws if someone wants to look it up. I'm pretty sure both the federal and PA statutes are accessible online. As far as your audience, you have to decide if it will be for someone who wants to actually make beer from your description, or someone who just wants to understand it conceptually and is more interested in how it smelled, tasted, felt to make beer. -- Olen

Clurin

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 30, 2008
Pittsfield, MA
capoeirista13 said:
For purposes of this subsection, the term "adult" means an individual who has attained 18 years of age, or the minimum age (if any) established by law applicable in the locality in which the household is situated at which beer may be sold to individuals, whichever is greater.

Reading this seems to indicate that an "adult" for purposes of homebrewing in PA (and the other 49 states) is 21, not 18. The line "or the minimum age (if any) established by law applicable in the locality in which the household is situated at which beer may be sold to individuals" is what makes me say this.

You may want to verify this with someone more proficient in reading legalise.

Vino

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 30, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
CAP,

The draft looks interesting...I would agree with Olen that you could eliminate some of the recipes...you might also want to give a little bit more of the history of homebrew.
Maybe mention something about the history of brewing in ancient times like Mead by the Greeks or Beer by the Sumerians.
You might also discuss how homebrewing was outlawed during prohibition, and that when prohibition was repealed with the 21st Amendment, home wine-making was legalised. Homebrewing of beer should have also been legalised at this time, but a clerical error omitted the words "and/or beer" from the document which was eventually passed into law. Thus, the homebrewing of beer remained illegal for several decades.
In 1978, Congress passed a bill repealing Federal restrictions on the homebrewing of small amounts of beer. Jimmy Carter signed the bill into law in February 1979, and many states soon followed suit. However, this bill left individual states free to pass their own laws limiting production. For example, homebrewing is still illegal in the state of Alabama (where I live).

You also give a great example of how you don't like beer or wine...you may expand on this by saying that homebrewing allows you to produce a product that suits your taste...more or less acidic, more or less sweet, adding flavors like orange or blueberry or vanilla to create a drink that might not otherwise be available commercially and in most cases at a reduced cost.

Just a few idea's to consider.

BTW, Go STEELER!

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Good point Clurin, I actually have the phone number for the Pennsylvania liquor control board, but apparently no one is there after 5 PM on Fridays until Monday at 8 AM, and I started my paper after 5 PM on Friday. I plan on calling to verify on Monday, and I was thinking that maybe I could just eliminate the legal part and just use my interpretation to free up some of the wordcount, as right now it is at 2000+, although that includes the recipes at the end.

Vino, EXCELLENT! I plan on using a lot of what you said in the revised version of my paper. I'll try googling all that later if I can so I have a legitimate source. Especially the thing about how it suits my tastes, I think that would go very well in the paper. And yes, go Steelers! At least one PA team will be in there kicking ass.

I probably won't be able to get the new paper up until late tonight or late tomorrow night, as this is only one of the 5 midterms assignments i have due by Monday/Tuesday, and all the other ones are actually tests.

Thanks for all your input ladies and gents, more is welcome!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns