PDA

View Full Version : A curious little apple: Hidden Rose

osluder
02-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Picked up a couple of three of these apples at the market the other day and was quite surprised when I cut it open. The taste is medium tart with a texture like a Granny Smith. Anyone have any detailed information on this variety? The web sources I googled are a bit sketchy. -- Olen

Vino
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I believe that is a Pink Pearl...they are generally found around California and the West Coast...I don't believe I've ever seen one here in Alabama.

Upon a second look I guess it's actually an Airlie Red Flesh (aka Hidden Rose)....never seen that one before.

CarriageWorks
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Hidden Rose and Pink Pearl are 2 different apples.

From Southmeadow Fruit Farms:

HIDDEN ROSE - The amazing red fleshed apple. Probably nothing gives a backyard fruit grower more pleasure than to see the surprise and delight on the face of a family member or friend as they take their first bite of a red fleshed apple that you have grown in your fruit garden. The more recently discovered Hidden Rose, which may be the best of all red fleshed varieties and indeed would be an outstandingly delicious apple no matter what color the flesh is. A choice seedling from Oregon, Hidden Rose has a beautiful yellow skin with pale whitish dots, but it is inside that it excels. Deep rose red flesh, juicy, crisp, hard, sugary and richly flavored, ripening late (October) and keeping throughout the winter. The late Conrad Gemmer, an astute observer of apples with 500 varieties in his collection, rated Hidden Rose an outstanding variety of top quality. He predicted this apple, with its delicious red flesh, to be the wave of the future, just as pink grapefruit has supplanted the white.

There are actually a number of red fleshed apples Almata comes to mind Pink Sparkle, Pink Pearl. My impression is that they tend to be tart.

I think Dolgo crab is red fleshed.

osluder
02-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Hidden Rose and Pink Pearl are 2 different apples.

These are definitely Hidden Rose as that is how they were labeled and they fit the description perfectly appearance-wise: "a beautiful yellow skin with pale whitish dots, ... [d]eep rose red flesh ..." I came across the Southmeadow Farms entry as well as a couple more similar when I googled, but all seem to be rather cursory. Perhaps that is all I can expect to find? Not sure what more I guess I was expecting. ;) -- Olen

CarriageWorks
02-04-2009, 01:17 AM
perhaps these were the originators?

http://www.firstalt.coop/03B1ThomasPaine.htm

As for a story to go with the apple, maybe you could contact them and see if there is one. I am impressed that I can go out in the right season and taste the same apple that Thomas Jefferson favored (Esopus Spitzenberg) or that was cultivated by Louis XIII of France (Calville Blanc d'Hiver). I am a little disappointed that my season is too short to grow George Washington's favorite apple (Newtown Pippen), but I have my Grandfathers favorite apple (Golden Russet) and Gravenstein from Denmark.

So I agree that the story makes the apple more enjoyable.

capoeirista13
02-04-2009, 01:19 AM
that apple just blew my mind, it looks like something you'd see on an alien planet on the SciFi channel