PDA

View Full Version : Kustom Kreations

Vino
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I am always looking for ways to built and/or modify items for specific tasks...It's the Engineer in me...I always get a rush out of finding a tool that I can use outside of it's original intent.

A couple of days ago a friend gave me a freon recovery unit he no longer needed...I immediately realized this would be handy for brewing.

Two Days later...and the Fluoromizer 3500 is being used to transfer between buckets, carboys, and kegs.

This unit produces 15 in Hg of vacuum, and will transfer 5 gallons in less than 4 minutes, but has a valve to reduce or stop the flow.

Now I just need to purchase a tandem inline filter from Enolmatic and I should be set.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=15

I am curious what other mead makers here have built or modified to help with your brewing.

osluder
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Cool! I am curious how you are sanitizing it: Can the "flow path" be disassembled for cleaning or do you just flush it thoroughly before and after use? -- Olen

Vino
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
The unit is downstream of the second carboy and not in the fluid path...It creates a vacuum in the unit I am transferring to.

Similar to how the enolmatic works, so sanitation is not an issue.

I plan to use it to transfer a batch of wine to secondary this weekend...I'll try to get a video and post a link to it on YouTube.

Before this unit I was doing the same thing with a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, and I also built one that used a gravity feed from a bottling bucket that was elevated above to increase the head pressure to overcome the lift needed.

Kee
02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
I would love to see a video as I still don't fully comprehend the process. (I haven't really tried, though.)

osluder
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
The unit is downstream of the second carboy and not in the fluid path...It creates a vacuum in the unit I am transferring to.

Similar to how the enolmatic works, so sanitation is not an issue.

I'm with you now. It's gotten me thinking what the cost of a used recovery unit is versus a new Enolmatic? I need to do some price checking. -- Olen

Xixist
02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Way cool! Like a George Jetson mead making unit. Begin to worry if it starts telling you it cannot open the pod bay doors.
Xixist

Vino
02-13-2009, 10:22 AM
I've been waiting to get my laptop back (croaked)...in the interim I put this little video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZTpHeEK7eY) together.

The video is a transfer of a pinot noir from primary to secondary...I was amazed that it totally degassed the wine...I tried a lees stirrer after the transfer and even on high I had no bubbles.

This made me realize that when I use it to transfer beer to a corny I'll need to compensate for the .8 volumes of CO2 (70F) that I'll loose to degassing...a simple adjustment in the amount of priming sugar, but still something to take into account.

Kee
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
WOW! I want one of those!!

wayneb
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Ahhh! You've just given me an idea! Not to use anything powered, but to instead adapt my mityvac hand pump as the vacuum source for a bottle filler.

Now to find the right fittings... ;D

Thanks for the idea!!

welder
02-15-2009, 01:36 AM
you are the shitt

epetkus
02-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I wonder if I can find all of the necessary reducing adapters for my shopvac!!

Way to go Vino!!

(Love the video credits!!)

Eric

WRATHWILDE
02-15-2009, 10:21 PM
..Makes me want to pick one up just to have a little more oomph when racking through a double filter. I'd probably go for something sexier to match my Meadworks, Like this unit. 1/2 hp, On sale now at ebay.

National Refrigeration Products NRP GS 2000 Oil-less Refrigerant Recovery Unit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290295400668&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

Cheers,
Wrathwilde