PDA

View Full Version : little mold on surface

j.postema
02-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi all,

I managed to create a (very) tasty pyment, I was surprised! It consists of 2 litres of grapefruit-juice, added water to 1 gallon, and wild-flower honey. I bottled only 1 liter just to be able to taste and test it and even my friend liked it very much:)

Thats why I started another batch. Normally I always do first fermentation in an airlocked carboy, but this time I decided to do an open fermentation, as this makes it easier to stir / aerate. After 5 days I saw little mold on the suface. It was white colored, and only about 3mm in diameter. It were only a few molds, so I just took a spoon and removed them.

After that I put the mead in a carboy and now, after 3 days, everything looks fine. My question is: is it normal to have mold during open fermentation, or is it a sign of bad sanitizing? (I used a towel on the top of the open fermenter to seal it, which accidentaly fell in the mead, so maybe this could be the cause?)

Medsen Fey
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
is it normal to have mold during open fermentation, or is it a sign of bad sanitizing? (I used a towel on the top of the open fermenter to seal it, which accidentaly fell in the mead, so maybe this could be the cause?)

Definitely not normal.
Things falling into the mead is a very likely cause.
When using a bucket, I often put the lid on the bucket, but don't seal it. It keeps critters out, without making it airtight.