• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Water pH vs. Honey pH

Barrel Char Wood Products

echo2112

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2009
Austin, TX
I have tried running searches on pH levels in posts, but the search tool won't recognize a phrase as short as pH, so here is my question.

How much impact will the pH of my water have on the fermentation pH of the mead?

My pH is 9.8. When brewing I use the Five Star p2 pH stabilizer to get the pH under control for my mash. Now, from everything I have read in books or on the web, I can see that pH is important for mead making, apparently a too acidic environment will lead to stalling during the primary. But what about a more basic environment? Will the natural acidity of the must correct a basic water on it's own, or should it perhaps be nudged?

I can leave my water as is, and just let it go, but would it be helpful to bring the pH down some, and allow the honey to do the rest on its own?

Odinsson

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2008
What is the source of your water? I've used spring water and well water from the Florida aquifer and have not had a problem with acidity that I know of. I've never paid attention to the pH either though.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Wow! I've never seen a public water supply that alkaline. Are you on a well? When water is that high in pH, it tends to make soap almost impossible to lather, and it often gives a "slippery" feel and slightly chemical "caustic" taste to beverages made with it, like coffee or tea. I've never brewed with anything that even approached that high a pH. I'm not sure what to suggest, although I'd probably be using bottled water if my water supply were that wonky.

echo2112

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2009
Austin, TX
Wow! I've never seen a public water supply that alkaline. Are you on a well? When water is that high in pH, it tends to make soap almost impossible to lather, and it often gives a "slippery" feel and slightly chemical "caustic" taste to beverages made with it, like coffee or tea. I've never brewed with anything that even approached that high a pH. I'm not sure what to suggest, although I'd probably be using bottled water if my water supply were that wonky.

Nope, it's the City of Austin water supply. It is a pretty crazy pH level, which is why I am using additives and a pH stabilizer when I brew.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Are you confident that your pH meter is calibrated and functioning properly? That is a very high reading. Does the city report agree with that?

In any case, I would like to know what pH you get with a honey/water mixture. This will probably vary depending on which type of honey you use. If you take 1/4 cup honey, and mix it well with 3/4 cup water, what kind of pH do you get?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Holy Moley! I guess Texas considers that "safe to drink." :p That water's moderately hard and so alkaline, its a wonder you don't have to replace the pipes in your house every 10 years or so due to calcium buildup. At least they run the raw water through significant treatment before it gets pumped into the distribution lines. The tap numbers are still pretty high, but at least they're "tolerable."

Note the column on the chart marked SDWA; those are the Federal safe water contaminant maximum levels. MCA are actual maxima above which you have a health issue -- SMCAs are secondary (perceptual) levels -- numbers above which you'll get some perception of "lack of purity." Note that you'll be able to sense water that is higher than pH 7.0.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns