PDA

View Full Version : Mead definatons?

stownson
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
If one was to use apple juice as a flavoring rather than the primary liquid in a metheglin recipe, would it still be a metheglin or a melomel?

Only 1 gallon of a 5 gallon batch was juice the rest is water and honey.

Is that one gallon enough to make it classified as a cyser?

Oskaar
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
It would be a spiced or herbed cyser, or a cytheglin.

Cheers, Oskaar

stownson
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I found an old thread where a guy had commented on the savory combination of apples and saffron.

I was thinking about a lighter alcohol mead with slight apple and saffron spiced. Trying to achieve just a hint of each so that neither over powers the other, just varietal honey, saffron and apple tartness all comming through as a singular flavor yet identifiable if you think about it hard enough.

OH and reading through the BJCP style guide I see that this would classify as neither and would have to be entered in an Open Mead category.

Oskaar
02-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I found an old thread where a guy had commented on the savory combination of apples and saffron.

I was thinking about a lighter alcohol mead with slight apple and saffron spiced. Trying to achieve just a hint of each so that neither over powers the other, just varietal honey, saffron and apple tartness all comming through as a singular flavor yet identifiable if you think about it hard enough.

OH and reading through the BJCP style guide I see that this would classify as neither and would have to be entered in an Open Mead category.

Saffron and apple sounds like an interesting combination. There are a couple of Patrons who have made saffron meads and have posted their recipes in the Patron section.

Under BJCP your apple saffron mead would be in the 26. Other Mead , and would be entered as a 26C - Open Mead Category. Nomenclature-wise you can call it any number of things because it crosses so many categories. Often you'll see references to other mead with various ingredients than fruit with a -mel extension (e.g. lactomel, leguimel, capsumel, and a host of other types of meads you'll hear people refer to as "weirdomels) But if you want some real fun, do a forum search on piscamel. You'll find it instructive to say the least.

There's a link here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7353&highlight=taxonomy) to a post that Lostnbrnx made when he was mulling over naming thoughts for different meads. Of course none of these terms were ever adopted in any official capacity by the BJCP, but you'll find that people who have been around meadmaking for a while use a number of the terms that you'll find there. In fact, Hydromel, under BJCP is a watered down or weak mead. This is a misnomer, as the name is merely Mead in the French language. So bottom line is BJCP is for competition entry classification, and meadmakers use different terms for different types and styles of mead.

stownson
02-17-2009, 12:23 AM
It would defenately be a FLORAMEL then. LOL