PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Question¿

mjdtexan
02-19-2009, 10:11 PM
I was reading another thread here on GotMead when I read that this person was using non twist cap 12 ounce bottles. Is this ok to do¿ Can this be a long term thing or is this a short term thing¿

I warn yall now, I will probably have a ginormous list of questions after I've been reading here a while.

mjdtexan
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I didnt really want to know. Nope, not me.

ndbrewlady
02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I am going to try to respond, but being a newbee myself it may not be quite right. I did ask a question on the line before though.

I have beer bottles that you use the opener to open, they were bought at a homebrew shop. I started brewing with beer, so I am using my beer bottles that require a capper but will work fine for both carbonated and non. I also have bottles that are called easy cappers that have a cap attached to the bottle flip it over and go, they say that they will work also.

I have beer bottles from beer I have drank that uses the pull off top that I have cleaned up and use also, be careful as they have a tendiency to break sometimes when you cap.

Hope that helps. :D
Elsie

mjdtexan
02-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Thank You. I have been saving the Samual Adams beer bottles. I still a little confused as to whether or not it would be good for long term storage. It seems like if I were going to a friends house or something they might be good for a quick racking of 12 or so for some short term storage.

Thanks Again and I really do appreciate the response. 8)

ndbrewlady
02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome, That is the very reason that I have some (also samual adams) when I want to test a batch I don't have to pop open a 22oz.

Also I have been saving 12oz clear bottles, so that I can see what my stuff looks like after it has been in the bottle. This has really been useful with the beer as you end up with lees on the bottom, now I get to have a line up of different colors of mead.. ;D

Oskaar
02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I didnt really want to know. Nope, not me.

Please don't get into the habit of thread bumping, we frown on it here.

Thanks, Oskaar

Wolfie
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Here dude, check it out: (I actually didn't know this so I'm glad I checked)

I did a search using "12 oz + long term" (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/search.php?searchid=42274) and at first I didn't see much bit if you scroll down you find this thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13725&highlight=long+term) where many regulars claim to use bottles often with no ill effect.

I coulda sworn there were others but thats all I found for that particular search. I know at my LHBS (NorthernBrewer) they have a kind of crown cap that claims to absorb O2 for better storage.

On a side, I once tried to re-use old commercial beer bottles (cnat remember what beer, extra long neck beer bottles) and the caps would not make a good seal. Many of them leaked and the ones that stayed longer got skunky in the fridge. :dontknow:

Be sure to use the search tool (and the advanced search) first when asking questions. If people are reluctant to answer they probably feel it's been answered enough times on the site.

Best of luck dude

/wolfie