PDA

View Full Version : ¿Hard Water?

mjdtexan
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
So you're doing two things by adding some of it to your must. First, you're increasing the net calcium ion load and thus increasing the hardness of the water.

I read this on another thread but did not want to hijack the thread. I am a little unclear about the hardwater issue. Is it a good thing or a bad thing¿ I have a well here and the water is fairly hard. Sometimes get what I think is a calcium build up on shower heads etc etc.

I have the Ozarka truck deliver water all of the time so I have good drinking water on hand at all times. The dogs dont mind it, I cook with it, I just dont drink with it.

Use it for mead/wine or no¿

wayneb
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Hard water, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. If you have no other off-tastes in the water, then I'd say go ahead and make mead with it.

However, funky smells and/or tastes combined with hardness will often mean funky tastes and smells in your mead, so you might want to consider using water from another source if your water tastes or smells bad.

mjdtexan
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Hard water, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. If you have no other off-tastes in the water, then I'd say go ahead and make mead with it.

However, funky smells and/or tastes combined with hardness will often mean funky tastes and smells in your mead, so you might want to consider using water from another source if your water tastes or smells bad.

Thank You for that. Yes, it does smell bad, so I will use the bottled water in from the 5 gallon water carboys.

Thanks again
Mike D