PDA

View Full Version : The Mazer Cup International - Home Competition

Oskaar
02-20-2009, 07:41 PM
The website is up and running for the home mead maker portion of the competition (the commercial side is still being updated and more information is being added). We're still getting people and support folks on board so some of the information will be getting updated intermittently and the places and people become available.

We have drop off points in Denver and Boulder, CO for those of you who are local and the website will be updated with that information later today.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we spin this competition up. Check the updated Mazer Cup International site out at

http://www.mazercup.com

Cheers,

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic, Mazer Cup International Home Competition Director

epetkus
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Very Nice!

I won't have any mead ready by April, but can the general public attend?

Are there any thoughts to pairing the competition with a mead "conference", with speakers, display booths, etc.?

Eric

Oskaar
02-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Very Nice!

I won't have any mead ready by April, but can the general public attend?

Are there any thoughts to pairing the competition with a mead "conference", with speakers, display booths, etc.?

Eric

It's a bummer but there won't be any public events for the competition this year. It takes a lot of cash to put a public event on, and we're not a cash rich organization to the point of where we can do that. It is our plan to work this event into being able to support a public event, but for now we don't have the scratch to do it.

This year our goal is to put on the home and commercial competition and get our organization staffed up to the level of where we can support both competitions and begin the process of making an industry oriented event that follows the model of ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates & Produces) with elements of the Unified Grape and Wine Symposium.

So it is the plan to get back to a public event. One of the things professional mead producers like about the competition only event is that they aren't stuck on the floor pouring mead for two days straight. The current format allows them to talk to other Meadmakers about their bees, their equipment, etc and involve themselves in industry talk.

It may seem like a festival is a great way to get people to notice their mead, but a good portion of the crowd are there to get drunk on free mead and are simply migrating from table to table getting drunk. I can't blame them but formats like that take about 3-4 cases of each type of mead that they're pouring, and for a small producer that's a significant portion of their mead if they have 8 entries. They also have to ship that to the competition site and shipping takes licensing and freight isn't cheap.

Long story short, no public event this year, but we are committed to opening up to the public within the next two years if we're able to raise some seed money to do the event right.

Dan McFeeley
02-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I enjoyed the International Mead Festivals, the booths were wonderful, got to meet a lot of great people. But the cost is no exageration -- under past managment it took a few years just to get it to break even, and the expenses, all told, are fairly heavy. Oskaar and Vickie are reworking and reorganizing things so I'm sure that the level of involvement will pick up soon.

It can be difficult to get speakers -- I don't have much experience here, but it seems that for events like these, compensation may not be much more than having hotel costs for the speakers paid. The speakers that do attend these events are usually doing it more for their devotion to their area of interest than anything else, and as it is, they're taking on time off from jobs and time away from familes to be there.

I think we're going to see the level of involvement in the newly organized Mazer Cup gradually rise. For those who have been following events -- a little while ago, Oskaar took on the task of organizing the home meadmaker competition for the International Mead Festival, a new event for a competition that had previously been all commercial. He did a fantastic job and the first year, entries were the equal of the commercial folk. I'm sure we'll see much the same with the Mazer Cup, with both Oskaar and Vickie working behind the scenes, as it gradually picks up momentum.

sandman
02-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Okie doke. Registered, submitted, paid, and hopefully getting it packaged this weeked if I get a chance. If not, I'll have it in the mail within a week or so. I figure the earlier I get my entry there the longer it'll have to settle down from the shipping.

Oskaar
02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Yup, saw the paypal notification this evening! Congratulations, you're the first home entry!

Cheers, Oskaar

webmaster
02-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Sandman!! You numba 1!!! :headbang:

sandman
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
We shall see... after the competition and tastings are over.
I'm just glad to be a part of it all.
:cheers:

CBiebel
02-22-2009, 03:28 AM
I have two questions:

1. How much are you "hurt" by having 2 12 oz bottles? Is it just the chance of one breaking or is it more than that?

2. If I have a mead in 2 Grolsch bottles, how much do you think it will hurt things to pour it into 2 bottles and then bottle cap it for the competition?

BTW, the mead in question is a "traditional" mead.

Oskaar
02-22-2009, 05:58 AM
I have two questions:

1. How much are you "hurt" by having 2 12 oz bottles? Is it just the chance of one breaking or is it more than that?

2. If I have a mead in 2 Grolsch bottles, how much do you think it will hurt things to pour it into 2 bottles and then bottle cap it for the competition?

BTW, the mead in question is a "traditional" mead.

Dude, not sure what you're asking here, whaddya mean "hurt?"

If you're asking why we need 3 bottles, it's simple. We have multiple judges at a table, if we need to go back after a flight and compare again the mead is poured again and we judge it again. That's one bottle.

If you go to the medal round, that's the second bottle. Then there's none left for the BoS round.

If a bottle breaks during shipment (which is not at all uncommon), there's only one left. What you seem to be asking is if we really need three bottles. The answer is yes, we do.

So if you're going to re-bottle, just do it the day that you ship it. Mead is amazingly resilient and resistant to oxidation as compared to wine. Be sure to minimize contact with oxygen as much as is possible and flood your receiving bottles with CO2, as that will help.

Cheers, Oskaar

docdean1
02-22-2009, 09:39 PM
i noticed on the entry rules it has april 3rd as the cutoff dates for entries but the pdf link for the entry rules says april 11th for the cutoff date...is that just a typo or would that be mail ins for one and drop offs for the other? just a heads up =)

CBiebel
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Dude, not sure what you're asking here, whaddya mean "hurt?"

If you're asking why we need 3 bottles, it's simple. We have multiple judges at a table, if we need to go back after a flight and compare again the mead is poured again and we judge it again. That's one bottle.

If you go to the medal round, that's the second bottle. Then there's none left for the BoS round.

If a bottle breaks during shipment (which is not at all uncommon), there's only one left. What you seem to be asking is if we really need three bottles. The answer is yes, we do.

So if you're going to re-bottle, just do it the day that you ship it. Mead is amazingly resilient and resistant to oxidation as compared to wine. Be sure to minimize contact with oxygen as much as is possible and flood your receiving bottles with CO2, as that will help.

Cheers, Oskaar

By "hurt" I meant how much does it mess up your chances for a medal. Based on your answer, it looks like it doesn't do that, but it would prevent a "Best of Show". That's all I meant.

I was just debating whether to try to send in the 2 bottles or to wait until my next batch of the same mead is ready and enter then instead.

cam07ds
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Well my entry is in also, I picked my favorite of my first meads. Its a young one but very different. Good luck to every one.
Steve

Kee
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Cam, will you tell us about it after the competition?

exlineg
02-23-2009, 01:09 AM
DocDean,

Good catch! The cutoff date is in fact April 3rd. With both the commercial and home entries arriving we're going to need at least a week to get everything sorted and checked in.

I'll get with Oskaar and get the PDF info updated to reflect the correct date.

Cheers,
Glenn
Mazer Cup International Judge Director
(Which is a lot like herding cats!)

Oskaar
02-23-2009, 01:35 AM
i noticed on the entry rules it has april 3rd as the cutoff dates for entries but the pdf link for the entry rules says april 11th for the cutoff date...is that just a typo or would that be mail ins for one and drop offs for the other? just a heads up =)

Fixed! Good eye doc!

Thanks for hopping in there Glenn!

docdean1
02-23-2009, 02:51 AM
anytime anytime..no applause please...just send mead,lol

cam07ds
02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Cam, will you tell us about it after the competition?

No problem, I've entered my XXXXXXXXX mead. Its getting better everyday even though its going to be young I think it just might do ok for my first try.
Thanks for asking
Steve

webmaster
02-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Nananananananana...I can't hear you!! Cam, edit your post, there are judges for the MCI who read this forum, and you don't want to taint the pool!! Tell about your mead *after* the competition........

cam07ds
02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Nananananananana...I can't hear you!! Cam, edit your post, there are judges for the MCI who read this forum, and you don't want to taint the pool!! Tell about your mead *after* the competition........

Sorry about that my bad. Thought about that after the posting but thanks for fixing it for me.
Steve

See you can still tell I'm a new-bee

Oskaar
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Sorry about that my bad. Thought about that after the posting but thanks for fixing it for me.
Steve

See you can still tell I'm a new-bee

No worries.

docdean1
03-06-2009, 11:09 PM
i have a question for someone who isnt going to be a judge at the mazer cup.i need to figure out what category a specific ingredient falls under and think i should pm the question rather than say what it is out loud,maybe vicky or oskaar?

sandman
03-06-2009, 11:36 PM
You can PM me if you'd like. I can give you an opinion if nothing else.

:: PM Glenn. He'd be able to give you a more definitive answer :: :cheers:

exlineg
03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
You can also PM me. As Judge Director, I can't actually judge at the event. (Oskaar and Vickie will probably be judging though)

Cheers,
Glenn

Oskaar
03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Glenn is a great resource and since he's the judge director he will be able to tell you exactly what to enter your mead as. Sandman's no slouch either!

sandman
03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Ahh... I am but a humble brewer (with a knack) who's still learning the details of what this hobby is about. Glenn is actually someone who can tell you definitively.

I appreciate the compliment though Pete. Thanks for the vote of support.

docdean1
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
good deal,got the answer from glenn...thanks much sandan an pete

Beertracker
04-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Inquiring minds want to know if the entry numbers are in yet on the Mazer Cup (Comm&HB)? TIA

wayneb
04-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Current rough count (subject to final verification which will happen tonight): 181 entries in the Home Competition. ;D

Medsen Fey
04-15-2009, 03:32 PM
That sound's great!

By the way, I don't recall seeing a category for Show Meads in the competition. While I realize that BJCP guidelines don't have that as a category, I'm wondering if that category should be added in the future. Perhaps we can lobby the BJCP to do so.

I do think the art of meadmaking using nothing but honey, water, and yeast should be honored.

STLBrewer
04-15-2009, 04:15 PM
If I remember correctly, Medsen, the BJCP calls them "Traditional Mead" (Cat. 24). The sub categories within determine the Dry, Semi-Sweet or Sweet...

I think if more people refer to them as Show Meads, then it should be changed to reflect this in the BJCP guidelines...maybe we should all talk to Charlie Papazian and try to influence this?

Medsen Fey
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
If I remember correctly, Medsen, the BJCP calls them "Traditional Mead" (Cat. 24). The sub categories within determine the Dry, Semi-Sweet or Sweet...

Any mead made as a show mead would be entered as a traditional mead, but not all traditional meads are show meads. If you use nutrient, oak, additives and what-not, it is no longer a show mead. Making a show mead can be quite a challenge - without nutrients, buffers and such they are prone to stick, and may develop off flavors. Anyone who can make good mead using just honey, water and yeast without all our modern conveniences deserves special recognition in my book.

STLBrewer
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Agreed! Perhaps it really should be a Category 24D?? Or maybe push everything else down one and put it as a 24A? I think you make a good point, Medsen...we just need the one's "in control" to agree!

sandman
04-16-2009, 12:42 AM
181 entries!?! :o

Dang dude, this competition is going to really be something this year. Very exciting stuff. We'll be waiting anxiously for the results around here. (Here being the forums of course) LOL ;D

Good luck with the judging guys... and good luck to all who've submitted entries. This kind of competition only spreads the word of mead further and further out into the brewing communities.

Xixist
04-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Moderated

Dude, we can't have you posting your entry number and description of what you entered for any reason on the public forums. That would compromise our blind judging pool.

In the future, everyone please do not post what you entered no matter how proud or not proud you are of it. This applies to after the competition as well as we don't want to put any association from entries to actual persons names.

Please help us out on this one.

Thanks, Oskaar

Leonora
04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi all,

We're in the middle of the commercial competiton and it's seriously fun here! The Colorado weather is making a great show for everyone with heavy giant snowflakes! We have over 130 commercial entries from 30 different meaderies!

But it's warm and wonderful in the hotel!

Wish you were here!

All the best,
Leonora

Medsen Fey
04-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Okay Leonora,
Now that you're rubbing our noses in it, all of us poor schnooks who can't be there are expecting you to make it up to us. You can give some play by play on the competition. Things like,

What mead has come from farthest away?
What mead has the prettiest color?
What is the weirdest weirdomel in the competition?
What mead has the most creative name?
Which meadery has the most entries?

And anything else you think would be interesting. Inquiring minds want to know!

We're counting on you.

Medsen

sandman
04-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Aack!! It's been over 24 hours and no one is posting in this topic!

No fair no fair!!! :p

I'm dying to hear a synopsis of the days events.

Marcy
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
When it says "Winners are announced at the Mazer Cup International on Saturday, April 18, 2009" I kinda thought that meant the results would be posted then... I am going CRAZY waiting to see! Anybody know any of the results?

Oskaar
04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Howdy all,

I'll be posting up the results later today. I'm working remotely (from Boulder, CO) on this and our Mazer Cup Team has been working from about 7:30 AM in the morning to about 12:00AM the following morning. There are a tremendous number of things to do when you have over 300 entries in a competition. This amounts to about 510 bottles of mead for the home competition, and about 520 bottles of mead for the commercial competition.

All those bottles have to be transported from the recpetion point to the competition and checked in, verified, checked for entry fees, checked for accuracy, moved to a staging area before both competitions (the home and commercial must be stored and staged in different areas) and then on competition day we orient the stewards and table captains on how they are to be delivered to the tables during judging and supervise the stewards, answer judges questions. But, the job isn't over when the last mead is judged. Everything is then cleaned up, removed from the tables, packed back into boxes, the scores are tallied, verified and then compiled and placed in a sealed envelope to be presented on the awards night.

This is a gross oversimplification of what the team does on the course of one day of the competition, and I could literally go on until I run this post to the character limit in the forums here.

Suffice to say that we will have the information up later today, we know you're all waiting and anxious for the results. Please try to understand that we literally didn't finish up with things until about 12:00 AM this morning and we need a bit of time to get things in order for the posting.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Petar Bakulic, 2009 Mazer Cup International Home Competition Director

Marcy
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you for all your hard work! We know it's a lot to do, it's just impossible not to be eager to hear the results :) You all have done a fabulous job getting this thing organized.;D

cam07ds
04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Just to tease every one. I wanted to say that I had a great time, being a Steward was great fun and a learning expirence. Meeting everyone from the site and many others at this competition was more fun than I can actually put into words. (if i could just keep my foot out of my mouth)

Being able to taste the Meads made by our site mentors was a treat just by itself.

And the star of the competition was the Meads I have never tasted so many or seen so many excellent Meads in my life and I'm still recovering.

I dont want to say anything else until the results are posted but to all that entered I would say congratulations for all of your hard work. (My truck was full to the top of meads I wish I had a picture of our Mead caravan to Boulder)

To the team that ran the competition fantastic job I cant believe what a massive ammount of work went into the entire event.

I'm looking forwared to stewarding and working with this team this again and again.

Have a great day all and please enjoy a glass of Mead.

Steve

wayneb
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
BTW - Steve now knows firsthand how much fun you can have with about a hundred other meadmakers... and 1000+ bottles of commercial and home mead! ;D

I also won't spoil the surprise -- can't actually, since although I hand-packed most of the award mazers for shipment myself, after sampling so much mead I can't honestly remember who all the award winners are.... :icon_shaking2: :offtheair: I will however, say that it was my privilege to have an opportunity to judge so many fine meads -- we had the best overall quality of entries ever!

Anyway, Pete's got the winner's list compiled and just has to post it to the website. He's on his way back to LA this morning, so I expect that the suspense will be over by this evening.

BTW - Some Gotmeaders will be very pleased with the outcome, I think! ;D

Leonora
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Okay Leonora,
Now that you're rubbing our noses in it, all of us poor schnooks who can't be there are expecting you to make it up to us. You can give some play by play on the competition. Things like,

What mead has come from farthest away? Corpo Meads from Poland and two of the meadmakers came as well! They supported us with gifts and mead as well as very enthusiastic conversation! We were so honored with their presence!
What mead has the prettiest color? The roasted homegrown beet mead that medalled in the Other Fruit melomel. I got to judge it in the first round and medal round. It was an incredible red that was more flouresent than the red of rasberries. We should be getting some pix up soon for you to see!
What is the weirdest weirdomel in the competition? See above (hee hee!) There were a lot of creative choices in the metheglins and melomels. It makes it a couple of interesting classes to judge! I'll let some of the rest of the team chime in on this one.
What mead has the most creative name? hmm, somebody else will have to answer this one.
Which meadery has the most entries? I believe the Meadery of the Rockies/Talon Winery was the winner with something around 15 entries. A number of the professionals sent a lot of entries. We are very happy with the turnout in both home and commercial.

And anything else you think would be interesting. Inquiring minds want to know!

We're counting on you.

Medsen

You missed a great time.

The Outlook Hotel treated us so well. They have a new restaurant called "Greens and Blues" with amazing healthy and delicious food that brings in amazing blues bands. We were treated to some hot blues while we were munching on sweet potato fries with chipotle mayo! It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it!

A number of folks from the commercial meaderies attended and hung out. There were so many learning oportunities talking to so many talented meadmakers.

Friday night all the open bottles from the day's competition were brought into the Crown Rock Room where the judging had been during the day. We hung out and chatted and sampled until the wee hours.

Both competitons ran smoothly due to our amazing team and volunteers. I can't say enough good about our staff and volunteers. I could just go on raving and raving, but I think you get the picture. It is the volunteers that make this possible. And I hope the volunteers felt happy as they got to sample and listen in to the judges as well as walk away with some bottles of mead.

The PJ party and Award Ceremony on Saturday was a hoot. I hope somebody got a picture of Vicky's leopard slippers! The Mazers awarded to the Home Competition winners were quite spectacular. You really want one of these! The medals awarded to the commercial winners were also so beautiful. They were made with little ribbons so the winners can slip the award over the neck of the bottle and show it off at their facility. Ken Schramm was awarded with a special recognition Mazer, but I'll let WayneB tell more about that!

Sunday we cleaned up and had a summit to start planning next year!

We'll post up the date and info as soon as we can so you can start your plans to attend!

Big thanks go out to some great GotMeaders: Steve - cam07ds and Michael - BrewinNColorado. Steve helped gather up the entries from their mail in locations on Thursday as well as helping out both days of the competition! Michael helped with the competiton both days as well. You guys were wonderful and terrific help! And for the terrific team who put this on - Vicky, Pete, Glen, Dani, and Wayne (with special assistance from Ken Schramm). It was hard work but it's always easier when you have a terrific team!

We hope to see more of you next year! :cool:

All the best,
Leonora

webmaster
04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm home, whipped, voiceless and dealing with a nasty cold I think I caught from someone in Boulder, but WOW, did the competition go well!!

We worked like dogs somewhere around 18 hours a day, but managed to squeeze in a lot of tasting of some seriously excellent meads, mainly by giving up sleeping, LOL.

I couldn't have asked for a better team to run this competition, and we had a *blast*. If you didn't come this year, you really should consider coming next year when we do it all again, 'cause dudes, you missed a *really* good time, and the chance to sample over 300 meads, most of them *excellent*.

Our support team was unbelievable, the judges were great, and the staff of the Boulder Outlook treated us like visiting royalty. The entire event was fantastic!

The main page of Gotmead has the results up now, so head on over to http://www.gotmead.com to view them (look for the article about the Mazer Cup).

Pete will have them up on the Mazer Cup site at http://www.mazercup.com in a bit, he's airborne and headed home from Boulder as I write this.

We're already planning the 2010 Mazer Cup International, which will again be in Boulder.

I'll put up some play-by-play on my blog tomorrow after I get some sleep (I got maybe 9 hours of sleep since Wednesday, LOL), but ***CONGRATS*** to all who medaled this year!!

Oh, and one more thing: Ken Schramm took me aside this weekend after the awards. This year, our BOS winner of the Home Competition was Jennifer Moody. Jennifer, you were the FIRST EVER woman to take the Mazer Cup Best in Show. You *go*, girl. Your mead was *divine*, keep up the good work!

Vicky - exhausted, but happy as can be.....

zaccman
04-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Vicky et.al. Well Done and thanks for all your hard work ...I can tell it is a labor of Love...looking forward to the feedback...
your newest member of Gotmead.com
Aaron Zaccagnino

Noe Palacios
04-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Well done Vicky !!!

Well done everybody !!!

I will like to congratulate all winers and hope that the next year I will have the chance to be fisically there.

I live very far from the metropoly, so it is difficult to me to obtain and objective feedback of my meads, so I have a question: Is it possible to obtain a feedback and the score of my sample?

Thank you,

Noe

wayneb
04-21-2009, 09:47 PM
All entrants will receive the judges' score and comment sheets for their entries, deliverd by mail. Noe, you will eventually get yours - depending how long it takes for US mail to reach you.

Noe Palacios
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
All entrants will receive the judges' score and comment sheets for their entries, deliverd by mail. Noe, you will eventually get yours - depending how long it takes for US mail to reach you.

Cool !!!

You keep copies, right? Just in case, remember I live in the third world.

Regards

Noe

imcelt2
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I just want to add my thanks to all who put on this event. I have been to a couple of brewing contests in Texas and was amazed at what all it takes to get through one of these. Of course getting to taste all of those wonderfull meads was worth it I am sure. I placed and am pleasantly suprised. My wife loves my mead, all my friends love my mead, and most that get a taste of it at local Ren Faires love it as well. This means a lot and keeps me producing more all the time. To have it validated by some of the top judges in the mead world is overwhelming. Thank all of you and I will try to improve with each batch. It is a craft of love along with my beers.

Summersolstice
04-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Okay - How about a rundown on Gotmead forum members who won this year? I believe Medsen Fey was a winner but user names weren't used for the entries. Anyone willing to fess up?

Brad Dahlhofer
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Okay - How about a rundown on Gotmead forum members who won this year? I believe Medsen Fey was a winner but user names weren't used for the entries. Anyone willing to fess up?

I'm super excited over our win at B. Nektar Meadery. I know that this forum and a whole lot of the individuals here had a lot to do with the development of our meadmaking skills.

I also noticed that Fox Hill Meadery won a couple medals. Great job, Jason!

Beertracker
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM

If you promise not to give away my secret identity, I confess to winning a couple of Mazers! :icon_jokercolor:

Seriously, hats off to the MCI Crew for your hard work in raising the Mazer Cup from the ashes. Here's to you guys!

Leonora
04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Congratulations to all who medalled and to all who entered. By entering you get feedback to make your next mead better!

Anybody want to share their winning recipe and procedures?!

You can post it in the Patron section as a proven recipe!

Leonora

Fox Hill Mead
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm super excited over our win at B. Nektar Meadery. I know that this forum and a whole lot of the individuals here had a lot to do with the development of our meadmaking skills.

I also noticed that Fox Hill Meadery won a couple medals. Great job, Jason!

Thanks Brad! And congrats to you too. I cannot wait to taste your Bourbon Barrel winner - please bring one with you when you come to visit!!

Congrats to all the winners and thank you judges and stewards for all of your hard work.

Like many, I'm looking forward to getting out to CO someday for the competition...maybe next year. It would be great to meet some Gotmead folks!

Summersolstice
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Congrats to all the winners and thank you judges and stewards for all of your hard work.

+1

Congratulations Medsen, Brad, Jason, and Beertracker! I'd like to see some recipes too. I understand at least one winner was an experiment that was, to say the least, made with a process not generally regarded as conducive to successful meadmaking through "commonly accepted fermentation techniques"!

webmaster
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Congrats to all for your wins!! And thanks to everyone who entered and made the Mazer Cup International a great competition. Never have I tasted so many great meads! I can honestly say that over the 8 years I've been judging mead, the quality of both the home and commercial entries has improved a great deal.

I guess that means that new recipes and techniques are working, LOL.....

Anyway, Brad, if you get down to NC, I'll try to work a trip to the mountains to see you and Jason. I missed your Bourbon Barrel, the leftovers disappeared pretty quick after the judging was over, LOL.

Vicky - curled up miserable in a chair with a nasty Colorado cold.....

wayneb
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Vicky - curled up miserable in a chair with a nasty Colorado cold.....

Somebody must have brought that cold with them to the event, since I'm coming down with it now, too.... :p

webmaster
04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I started feeling icky Sunday afternoon, thought it was allergies until I got home Monday and was really sick....my head is full of glue!

Vicky - icky :eek:

capoeirista13
04-22-2009, 02:56 PM
After reading all of this, I am most definitely perfecting at least 1 recipe over the coming year and submitting it next year.

Also, I'm just getting over being really really sick, hope you feel better!

Summersolstice
04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I received my judges' score and comment sheets in the mail today. Great job on being so prompt in getting them back!

webmaster
04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear you're doing better! Get that mead perfected, I suspect you'll have a bit of competition next year, LOL.

We had just under 170 entries this year, and a *lot* of them were pretty good. The Best in Show Round was brutal, and we had a hard time deciding which was the best....

Vicky - hopped up on Dayquil in hopes of knocking this gluey ick out of my head...:p

cam07ds
04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Wayne and Vicky, you not the only ones I have that cold now also. Guess its a late gift....

Brad - I do have to say that that Bourbon Barrel Mead was great who knew Buckwheat Honey would taste so good. (apparently you did) :) I wish I could get that shipped here to CO.

Even though I did not win my recipe is here in the brew log the Saffron Metheglin. I will be looking for some others however, the Cranberry Claret Mead was great and another hard one to get a taste of. I hope that recipe ends up here some time soon.

The Midnight Braggot was great also. I'm glad I was just a steward for the final round. I would not have wanted to pick any of the final winners they were all great.

I'm already looking forward to next year and even have a couple of entries that should find their way to the tasting.

And one thing I forgot. It was great to meet all of you. Vicky, Leonora, Wayne, Petar, Danni, Glen and to many others to name and to much mead to remember all of you. Your not forgotten and hope to see all of you next year!

Steve

Xixist
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanx to all involved.
My entry this year was hurried as was many others I'm sure. I know it was un-aged and will get better in time. Are we allowed to enter the same mead next year as we entered this year? Is it a bad practice to re-enter even if allowed being that it already fell short once?
Xixist

sandman
04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Got my results in the mail today too. Quick turnover.. I'm impressed.
I didn't place this year but I'm not disappointed by my writeups one bit.

Next year I'll avoid the sweeter heavy gravity meads though. I got the impression from both writeups that the judges thought they were a bit too sweet. I was happy with my scores though and the feedback was definitely constructive as well as mostly positive. I also got pretty decent scores.

I like competing, but my real motivation is to hear what needs to be done to make better meads in the end.

Congrats to all the winners and competitive mead makers out there. It was fun.

Brad Dahlhofer
04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Brad - I do have to say that that Bourbon Barrel Mead was great who knew Buckwheat Honey would taste so good. (apparently you did) :) I wish I could get that shipped here to CO.

We're working on getting distribution in Colorado, but it might take a while. In the meantime, we have 8 barrels of that mead aging this year. :)

Next year, watch out for our bourbon barrel aged cyser.

wildaho
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
We're working on getting distribution in Colorado, but it might take a while. In the meantime, we have 8 barrels of that mead aging this year. :)

Next year, watch out for our bourbon barrel aged cyser.

Screw Colorado! There are a bunches of meaders there! I'm all alone here in Idaho and would love to try a BA mead. I can find lots of BA beers but a mead!!! It must be heaven! Take pity on a loner Brad! We who are isolated salute you!

Wade

Oskaar
04-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Wayne and Vicky, you not the only ones I have that cold now also. Guess its a late gift....

Even though I did not win my recipe is here in the brew log the Saffron Metheglin. I will be looking for some others however, the Cranberry Claret Mead was great and another hard one to get a taste of. I hope that recipe ends up here some time soon.

The Midnight Braggot was great also. I'm glad I was just a steward for the final round. I would not have wanted to pick any of the final winners they were all great.

I'm already looking forward to next year and even have a couple of entries that should find their way to the tasting.

And one thing I forgot. It was great to meet all of you. Vicky, Leonora, Wayne, Petar, Danni, Glen and to many others to name and to much mead to remember all of you. Your not forgotten and hope to see all of you next year!

Steve

Everyone knows I'm too obnoxious for a cold, flu or other to take root! No cold here, just a bit tired and worn out from the festivities, but very very happy with the competition, the people involved, the hotel staff and an overall phenomenal event!

The Mazer Cup International Site has been updated with the Home Competition Results here (http://www.mazercup.com/mcih_results.htm).

Fox Hill Mead
04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Screw Colorado! There are a bunches of meaders there! I'm all alone here in Idaho and would love to try a BA mead. I can find lots of BA beers but a mead!!! It must be heaven! Take pity on a loner Brad! We who are isolated salute you!

Wade

Hi Wade,

While I'm sure that Brad will be shipping to Colorado soon (Fox Hill does because it's a reasonable fee to do so), I'd be surprised if Idaho is on the short list!

Idaho forces wineries to pay a $1000 bond before shipping can take place. Some others do that too. It's a killer for a small winery and quite ridiculous when our excise and/or sales taxes are so tiny. (Fox Hill has yet to owe more than $5 to any state in any month)

Here is a link to a summary of Idaho shipping laws:

http://wi.shipcompliant.com/StateDetail.aspx?StateID=9#topOfRuleDescription

STLBrewer
04-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey, in lines to that...how difficult is it to ship to Missouri?

imcelt2
04-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Got my results and Mazer in today. The Mazer will get a special place for all to see. Fast turnaround.

docdean1
04-23-2009, 08:31 PM
thanks to all of you who worked and helped with the contest.the judges feedback came in the mail today and provided some excellent information.any of the winners care to fess up on thier scores so all the rest of us can see how far we need to go? hahaha...i did however make it into the very good and excellent categories for my 3rd an 4th mead attempts ever..so i think i'll keep on brewin! thanks again all

Oskaar
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
thanks to all of you who worked and helped with the contest.the judges feedback came in the mail today and provided some excellent information.any of the winners care to fess up on thier scores so all the rest of us can see how far we need to go? hahaha...i did however make it into the very good and excellent categories for my 3rd an 4th mead attempts ever..so i think i'll keep on brewin! thanks again all

Commercial mead judging standards are different both in scale and criteria than home mead standards. Things change pretty dramatically when you go from buying honey from the 5 gallon bucket to the 55 gallon drum. It wouldn't be fair or accurate to compare home and commercial mead to one another. Home meadmakers do not have the same issue of time to market, cost of storage space or production regulations along with ABV and label restrictions that commercial meadmakers do.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Fox Hill Mead
04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey, in lines to that...how difficult is it to ship to Missouri?

Hi Josh,

MO is one of the easy states! I love the easy states. We ship to MO - it was one of the first ones we got a permit for.

STLBrewer
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Josh,

MO is one of the easy states! I love the easy states. We ship to MO - it was one of the first ones we got a permit for.

That's good to know!! I will have to look your way when I am in the mood for ordering some mead to have shipped in...which may be soon since all 6 of mine are still in various fermentation / aging stages!!

I can get Redstone, Lurgashall and Chaucer's here at Friar Tuck, but I have seen no others yet...get a little bored with the same 8 choices!! ;D

wayneb
04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
The other thing to realize about the home competition is that numeric scores don't tell the whole story. Only round 1 is scored numerically, and although usually (almost always, in fact) the highest average scores from each flight get pushed to the medal round, that is entirely at the discretion of the judges. Once you're in the medal round, the meads are again blind judged, this time by a team of experienced judges (round 1 flights can have apprentice judges along with at least one experienced judge), and the medal-winning meads are selected without reference to numeric scores from the prelim rounds. So, in general it is possible that the highest numeric scoring mead from the prelim round flights may not be selected as the first place mead in its given category.

Medsen Fey
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I understand at least one winner was an experiment that was, to say the least, made with a process not generally regarded as conducive to successful meadmaking through "commonly accepted fermentation techniques"!

Definitely true. I'm a bit slow in posting here for reasons which I will explain, but I wanted to take a moment just to say Thank-you to everyone involved in the rebirth of the Mazer Cup. I know you all had to invest a lot of time and effort to organize such a competition, and I really appreciate the effort of the judges to provide constructive feedback - it really does help to get the opinion of experienced palates. And special thanks to Wayneb who's help in retesting was critical in clarifying my results.

I also want to compliment the maker of the mazer trophies. They are truly beautiful and hold a place of honor in the curio. Even little Wifey, who is becoming openly hostile toward my meadmaking, thought the mazers are wonderful.

The reason my update was slow in coming was that I didn't know which of the meads I entered actually won. :confused1: "Huh?" you ask.

Well I entered 3 meads in the dry mead category. All were orange blossom and I didn't bother to name them. :BangHead:
When I entered them, they all had a separate entry number. Little did I know that the competition numbers would be changed to preserve blinding of the testing. While I applaud the organizers for the thorough steps to preserve the integrity of the competition, the results came back with different numbers than what I entered. Since there were no names, I knew I had an award winning mead, but didn't know which one it was. Talk about frustrating! So the lesson is name your meads if you enter more than one in a category.

Wayneb was kind enough to retest all the batches to try to pair up the tasting notes with the results to determine which on was the winner. Thankfully, I now know the answer.

Now back to summersolstice's point. The dry meads I entered were samples from the HotMead Yeast Test! (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12645&highlight=hotmead) :blob8:
Unbelievable but true. A mead fermented at 84 F, without aeration, and without SNA, which tasted like Band-Aids a few months ago, turned out to produce an award winning result - go figure. :o

I'll post up the details in the HotMead thread shortly.

capoeirista13
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Now back to summersostice's point. The dry meads I entered were samples from the HotMead Yeast Test! (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12645&highlight=hotmead) :blob8:
Unbelievable but true. A mead fermented at 84 F, without aeration, and without SNA, which tasted like Band-Aids a few months ago, turned out to produce an award winning result - go figure. :o

This gives me sooo much hope for the future.

imcelt2
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Now back to summersostice's point. The dry meads I entered were samples from the HotMead Yeast Test! (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12645&highlight=hotmead) :blob8:

I have won awards before and I am very basic in my mead brewing. I just consider myself a guide on the mead's journey to become what It wants to be. I ferment at room temp and don't aeriate like I do my beers. The real trick it took me years to learn is patience. When they clear and stop fermenting, let them set. Years if possible. That is nearly impossible with the Scottish festivals and Renfairs that we go to.

I have to agree with Medsen, the Mazers are just beautiful. I will use mine closing night of Texas Ren Fest to share a little of the mead that won with some close friends.

Beertracker
05-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I third or fourth the compliments to the Mazer Cup artisan. My cups are sitting on my office desk & I get compliments on them daily. :cool:

wayneb
05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I'll pass along your compliments personally to the artist, who is also one of my good mead drinking buds! ;D

cam07ds
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Did any one get any pictures of the MCI this year? I was going to take pictures but spent all of my time Stewarding. Any one?

Thanks
Steve

wayneb
07-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Pete was supposed to get all the digital pics from the photogs who were wandering around, and post them to a page or three (or thirty....). I don't think he's had the time to get around to it yet.