PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

mjdtexan
02-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Is the honey that is bought in the stores ok to use for meads? I've not seen that subject and I've been reading ALOT of post here.

I've seen this term a few times and have not figured out what it means, "until 1/3 sugar break" and "suspend yeast to 1/2 sugar break".

Mike D

Oskaar
02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
See here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81771&postcount=2) for the 1/3 sugar break.

As far as the honey in stores goes, it varies. What kind you have in mind.

Cheers, Oskaar

mjdtexan
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
See here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81771&postcount=2) for the 1/3 sugar break.

As far as the honey in stores goes, it varies. What kind you have in mind.

Cheers, Oskaar

I was not even aware that there was more than one kind of honey until I got here. The honey I currently have in my pantry is "Pure Clover Honey-Grade A". It has the Kroger lable on it. Kroger is one of our supermarket chains down here.

Now that I've posted this I will go look at the link you gave me.

Thank You Oskaar.

Mike D

akueck
02-22-2009, 06:28 PM
One thing about table honey (the kind that comes in bears, etc) is that it often is processed to minimize crystallization and haze. This involves heating, filtering, etc etc, all of which can (do) change the flavor of the honey. Not that you can't make mead from it, but be aware that clover honey straight from the apiary will not taste the same as clover in the little plastic bears.

Many stores will sell less-processed (or even "raw") honey too. That's the kind I go for. ;D

mjdtexan
02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok, so raw honey is the ticket. Thank You for that piece of information

Wolfie
02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
For the best prices look up apiaries in or around your city.
The Honey Locator (www.honeylocator.com) will show you where they are.
It's much cheaper to save on shipping and pick it up local if you can, otherwise there are a number of places you can order from.

good luck

/wolfie