• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Orange spice, smells funny.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rhodomel

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Started 21/02/2009

Orange spice mead.

Main ingredients
3.5lbs oranges
8lbs windflower honey
1 Dried pear half, sliced up
3 Chunks Crystallised ginger
Small Handful raisins
Small Handful of dates
Splash of Maple syrup
4tbs Christmas Flavour tea
3Gal of water
2 tsp Yeast nutrient (Diammonium Phosphate,Ammonium sulphate)

Spices
Ginger powder
Clove powder
Cinnamon powder
Ground nutmeg

Method

1.Washed the oranges and took the zest from half of them.
2.Removed all the skins and mashed up the flesh and added to my fermenting bin.Added all the spices and other ingredients here too.

3.Dissolved 8 lbs of honey in a gal of cool water and added to the fermentation bin.

4. Made up to 3 gallons and left to stand in warm place 2hrs. To bring the must up to a reasonable temperature.(took a sample to make a yeast starter,added a little warm water to the starter.)

5.Took a hydrometer reading.SG was 1.090~ give or take.

6. Aerated the must with a sanitised paddle for 5 mintues or more.

7.Added the yeast starter ,that I prepared earlier, to the mixture whilst it was still swirling.

8. Put the fermenter lid on and left.

The lag time ended Saturday evening,I aerated the must twice on sunday and all was well.

I went to college today without aerating it and when I got home my whole brewing room smelled of orange juice that had been left under a radiator , quite nasty. I checked the sg and it wasn't at the 1/3 break, so I aerated it vigerously which got rid of most of the smell.

What do you think the problem is, its being fermented at 71 degrees F ~, too warm? Should I remove the orange fruit cap or just aerate it some more?

Everything else seems fine, its fermenting vigerously.

Last edited:

Rhodomel

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
1/3 sugar beak

Thismorning it had reached the 1/3 sugar break, so it was down to 1.060~ from

Looks like the regular aerating early on payed off as there was no longer an unpleasent smell.

I have removed the fruit cap and it smells even better now. The yeast activity is churning the liquid all on its own. It looks like mini eruptions of lees swirling all over the place.

TheRabidKumquat

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2007
Chicago
Seems like you fixed your problem.

But I don't see any where what yeast you used. That might help the more experienced people here answer your question so that it doesn't happen again.

Could it have been the spices contributing to the odor? I'm not too crazy about ginger most of the time, mainly because of it's smell. Earlier today I was mixing up a brine for corn beef and the ginger, while not over powering, seemed to really throw the rest of the aromas off balance, and stood out over the others, which melded into a very nice scent.

domno25

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 24, 2009
i used a similar recipe when i made my first mead. (i'm just working on batch 3) mine was not as complex though. just oranges and honey. any way. when i made it, it smelled the same way you were describing. i was really worried about it but by the time i racked and cleared it the smell and taste was quite pleasant. i'm not saying don't worry about it. but thinking back i think the smell of the yeast mixed with the smell of the oranges was probably just not a good combo. once the yeast clears out it will probably be ok.

Rhodomel

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
But I don't see any where what yeast you used. That might help the more experienced people here answer your question so that it doesn't happen again.

It was a Young's "Boredeaux" yeast, not sure how good or bad they are.

I used it with the intention of making something smooth and rich with a festive flavour to put down for christmas, though I don't know alot about yeast.

I'm going to rack one gallon of it onto some gorse flowers, as they are in flower at the moment. Not sure how it will come out, but if you don't try you will never know.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns