• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Renaissance Festival disappointment

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I took a pilgrimage to the Florida Renaissance festival, and it was warm and sunny and I found myself desiring refreshing beverages. So I strolled up to the booth thinking a nice cool mead would be pleasant to sip in the shade. But lo, to my dismay, the only mead available - Chaucer's.

Now I have nothing against Chaucer's, it is a very sweet mead that can be tasty at times, but with all the other commercial meads out there now, it seems like there should be something else. There were several wines and beers to choose from, but one lone mead.

After careful consideration, I took a pint of Warsteiner figuring a pilsner would be better. I decided I'm going to write to the management company and ask them to find some alternatives - maybe they don't realize that better mead exists.

On another sad note, BeeFolks did not have a booth this year. I was looking forward to finding some good honeys without shipping costs. Oh well..... At least the weather was great, and the shows were fun.

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Now I have nothing against Chaucer's, it is a very sweet mead that can be tasty at times, but with all the other commercial meads out there now, it seems like there should be something else.

Amen Brother!

Bring on the national distribution of quality meads!;D

... On another sad note, BeeFolks did not have a booth this year. I was looking forward to finding some good honeys without shipping costs.

If you are willing to drive up to Ft. Pierce, Gruwell's has some quality honey at very good prices.

Eric

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
Chausers

I have Chausers to thank for my discovery of my favorite hoby. After drinking a 7 dollar glass of Chausers I said to myself. Hey I can make better than this! And I did.. over and over and over again.

Chausers will do until you taste real mead then its just best to make your own or find a good commercial substitute

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Same, same at the Festival down here in the Phoenix area. Chaucer's and Raspberry Chaucer's were the only two choices. I was hoping for something like we had back in MI at our local Heritage Festival. We actually had a home brewer onsite back then. He had mead, beers, and soda onsite as well. I'm going to have to find out how one goes about opening a booth at a Renn Fair or if it's even possible. I could make up several large batches and sell them onsite. Each glass could come with a copy of the JAO recipe on one side and a short history of mead on the other.

EverGreenman

Forest Dweller with a Wine Cellar
GotMead Patron
Nov 4, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Can't say as I've had Chaucers, but I gotta give it up to Redstone as far as commercial meaderys go. This thread brings up memories of Nedfest last summer. It was a fantastic! weekend of music from the likes of JerryGarciaBand featuring Steve Kimmock, David Grisman, Larry Keel, Colorado locals oakhurst(friggin' great!) Yonder Mountain String Band, and heaps of others all playing next to the res. up Boulder Canyon...spitting distance from the Continental Divide, in the little town of (neder)Nederland, Colorado. Fantastic weather (save for the couple of thunderheads that rolled through here and there, seriously, one hour it's dumping bunkets, the next five it's golden sunshine!) graced the weekend, absolutely nothing like summertime in Colorado. It's a smaaall festival, 1400 folks a day I'd think, lots of families, with heaps of great booths of artists and organizations and super good food, and Redstone Mead! (and Stone and Lefthand brews mmmmm) Redstone had 3 types on tap, simple nectar, black raspberry nectar, and an apricot that was taken dry/med dry left flat, or maybe it had a bit of sparkle? it was sooooooooo freakin' good eh. The black raspberry was also great, but only a glass or two. Needless to say the mead blissfully accompanied the experience and made the spirits fly. I highly encourage more mead at any type of outdoor festival!

Last edited:

Nickademas

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2009
Seattle
Can't say as I've had Chaucers, but I gotta give it up to Redstone as far as commercial meaderys go. This thread brings up memories of Nedfest last summer. It was a fantastic! weekend of music from the likes of JerryGarciaBand featuring Steve Kimmock, David Grisman, Larry Keel, Colorado locals oakhutst(friggin' great!) Yonder Mountain String Band, and heaps of others all playing next to the res. up Boulder Canyon...spitting distance from the Continental Divide, in the little town of (neder)Nederland, Colorado. Fantastic weather (save for the couple of thunderheads that rolled through here and there, seriously, one hour it's dumping bunkets, the next five it's golden sunshine!) graced the weekend, absolutely nothing like summertime in Colorado. It's a smaaall festival, 1400 folks a day I'd think, lots of families, with heaps of great booths of artists and organizations and super good food, and Redstone Mead! (and Stone and Lefthand brews mmmmm) Redstone had 3 types on tap, simple nectar, black raspberry nectar, and an apricot that was taken dry/med dry left flat, or maybe it had a bit of sparkle? it was sooooooooo freakin' good eh. The black raspberry was also great, but only a glass or two. Needless to say the mead blissfully accompanied the experience and made the spirits fly. I highly encourage more mead at any type of outdoor festival!

Boulder Canyon... Memories indeed :)
Used to live in Westminster and work in Boulder.
Spent many nights at Mountain Sun Brewery on Pearl Street.

EverGreenman

Forest Dweller with a Wine Cellar
GotMead Patron
Nov 4, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Ah the Mountain Sun. Best beer in Boulder town. I'd go so far as to say Colorado. You know they have a place over on Vine St. in Denver now a few blocks from the Fillmore and Ogden theatres? However, Redstone made it all happen for themselves, from nothing to something. From what I've heard, Mountain Sun was started by an ex McMenamins employee. Damn hippies stealin beer recipes and buisness plans and making something beautiful in Colorado.:hippy2::rolleyes:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Ah, the good old Mountain Sun. Had many a beer in there over the past few years during the Mead Fest in Boulder. Great Beer, great food and very cool hippie waitresses. Reminds me of the late 60's and early 70's.

I'll have to give Adam Avery his due kudos there in Boulder as well. Actually I prefer his stuff, and most of the things that I've had at Mountain Sun that really flipped my wig were featured guest beers (World Wide Stout was on tap there for a while during their Stout Festival last year) That's no reflection at all on their own very fine beers BTW.

Cheers, Oskaar

beekind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
Vermont
okay...since we're all gettin' teary-eyed about ned-boulder, mountain sun adventures. ahhhh....very good memories.
and redstone has to have THE BEST tasting room i've been to.
music...occasionally poetry...excited/inebriated hostess...delicious meads...plenty worth spending some time enjoying. and if i remember right, they are open for tastings from 12-6pm. (i promise i don't work for them-i just find they are some goood people).
sorry...just had to chime in on this one.
dave:)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
David is a pretty generous guy and really got the Mead Festival off the ground and going to being a very popular event. He's a great host and really knows how to engage people as well as being a top notch mead evangelist.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
The makers of Chaucers mead may have a contract with various Rennaisaince fair people, maybe with a chain that produces these fairs in different states. It does limit choices, on the other hand, the folk at Chaucers may be selling their mead at a good price which would appeal to the Ren fair producers.

http://www.chaucerswine.com/RenaissanceFaires.asp

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns