PDA

View Full Version : Restarting fermentation

Sepp
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I would appreciate some advice. I'm making a new round of mead for the year and may have run into a roadblock. It was pitched on 1/10/09 and here were the ingredients:

20 lbs clover honey (light),
1-2 ounces juniper berries, thoroughly crushed
1 packet Lalvin K1-V1116 non-sparkling yeast
Enough spring water to bring total volume to 5 gallons

The problem is that after I racked it on 2/18 due to large sediment accumulation, the fermentation seems to have virtually vanished. I added another pound of honey to add some sweetness to the end product, but the yeast doesn't seem to have grabbed any of it. Intend to do a simple taste test and a freeze test to get a general feel for the alcohol level, but if it is too low should I consider restarting the fermentation for some more oomph? I have some basic instrux on this but am told it's an iffy thing to do. Are there any pitfalls or tricks I should know?

Many thanks,

Sepp
Moderated Email address in post

Medsen Fey
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Sepp,

Welcome to GotMead!

We need some more information to be able to answer your questions properly.

1. Did you record the starting gravity?
2. What was the gravity before you added more honey?
3. What is the gravity now and is remaining stable?

Taste and freezing are not anywhere even close to being accurate enough to decided what level of alcohol you have. Changes in gravity will give you a very close estimate.

Brimminghorn
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi Sepp,

Welcome to Got Mead! As Medsen stated we need to know alittle more about your recipe. With out taking gravity readings with a hydrometer you are pretty much guessing. Some other things we need to know. Fermentation temperature, did you use any yeast nutrients, did you rehydrate the yeast, etc ?

Cheers,
Jon