PDA

View Full Version : Types of Corks

knowlesbrew
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I was looking through at the types of corks that various places sell. The number 8 corks that can be found here...http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4364, are what I have used in the past.

It recommends only using them if you are going to drink the wine/mead in less than a year. You can also buy synthetic corks that are better barriers for oxidation

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with oxidation on the number 8 corks after extended bottle aging even with the use of sulfates.

akueck
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I've never corked, but if you're worried you could wax the top of the bottle and that should shut down all gas exchange. (for good or for bad)

Medsen Fey
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
If you do a bit of searching, there are several threads discussing closures and some of the pros and cons. For long term aging, in a 750cc bottle, a #8 cork is probably not going to be effective. You probably do need to consider #9 corks which will have a tighter seal. Synthetic corks in some trials have had the highest amount of oxidation allowed -perhaps some of the newer ones are better.

For the seal with the lowest oxygen transfer (other than ROTE tops that aren't practical for us homeys) a crown cap may be the best bet.

I recently put down a series of bottles of mango melomel with crown caps, Zork closures, and high quality #9 cork. I am not sure the storage conditions in my closet will allow any graceful aging regardless of closure, but, that too will be good to learn from the test.

There is no one best answer, at least at this point.

Medsen