PDA

View Full Version : Mead Free or Die - 660 lbs of honey for Club of the Year!!!!

webmaster
03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Guys, check *this* out: The Mead Free or Die mead competition is giving a 55 GAL *DRUM* of mead to the Club of the Year in their 2009 competition!!

Better get entering, boys and girls!!

http://nhbrewers.com/meadfreeordie/

Vicky - wondering where you *put* it......

skunkboy
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Cool... would make a fun road trip to pick it up if you won it ;-)
Unless of course you were gonna try and put it in the back of a yugo...

webmaster
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Well, if Gotmead International Brewmasters entered lots of mead......who knows? We'd have to find someone who would house it and then agree to send it out to the members, LOL.....

wayneb
03-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Better idea - the Honeymobile! If we happened to win it, I'm going back east this summer and I could take the "scenic route," delivering honey along the way back to Colorado!!

The only trouble is, I don't have the time to prep another bunch of entries for them -- I'm too busy with our event! :(

ndbrewlady
03-25-2009, 08:11 AM
How old should a mead be to be entered?

Is this just a taste perception, or is there a guidline for it.

Just wodering as I don't like dry mead, and all of my stuff is way too young since i am just starting.

wayneb
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
The general rule of thumb is, if you like the way that it tastes, then it is ready for submission.

At best, the judges will agree with you and you might end up with a medal (or in this case, part of a barrel of honey!), and at worst, you'll receive some detailed evaluation comments back from the judges that will guide you in the process of aging that batch, or perhaps steer your process in making new batches down the road.

DaleP
03-25-2009, 11:33 AM
As to the question of how long to age a mead before entering, I have taken firsts with meads that were less than 7 months old from the introduction of the yeast to the contest. I placed about 9 or 10 times in the last year, all with meads less than a year old. So if it taste good enter it, its all about taste, not about age.

Xixist
03-29-2009, 02:08 AM
If I won 55 gal. of honey I'd make mead and bottle it up in those lil airplane bottles and everyone that posted on this site for the next year would get one.... I would need to invest in a lil corker...
Xixist

wildaho
03-29-2009, 03:59 AM
If I won 55 gal. of honey I'd make mead and bottle it up in those lil airplane bottles and everyone that posted on this site for the next year would get one.... I would need to invest in a lil corker...
Xixist
Dude! You are a truly selfless man and I like the way you think...

wildoates
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't even begin to imagine that much honey.

wildoates
03-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Xixist

I hope you have a lot of carboys. :eek:

skunkboy
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
I hope you have a lot of carboys. :eek:

55 gallons of honey
plastic kiddy pool
whole lot of yeast... ;-)