PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Break??

Snow
03-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi folks,

I'm brand new to this caper and looking forward to absorbing all of your wonderful advice and experience to make some first class mead!

First painful newbie question: I have read about aerating until "1/3 sugar break". Can you please explain if this is at 1/3 of OG or is it 1/3 of sugars fermented (i.e 2/3 OG)?

Thanks!

Cheers - Snow.

osluder
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome to Got Mead?

No worries, mate. ;D It's 1/3 of sugars fermented. -- Olen

wayneb
03-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Welcome to the "Gotmead?" community, Snow! If you take advantage of the search function onsite, you'll find that many of the newbee questions that you're likely to ask are probably already answered! Have fun exploring all the info that exists on the site, and by all means post up any recipe that you are working with -- we'd love to follow your progress.

Now, I've gotta ask -- how did you come up with your username? I've spent months at a time in QLD, much of it in the June-July part of the year, and never in my experience in your part of the world have I ever seen as much as a single snowflake! ;D

Snow
03-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys! Now I got it.

I'll spend some time working out the search functions from now on :)

Wayneb, you are correct - there is not a lot of snow in Queensland, however it does occasionally snow on the granite belt, near the NSW border. Nevertheless, I actually got my nick from my rugby coach when I was a little nipper, due to my shockingly white hair at the time. These days it is more dirty blonde, but everyone still calls me Snow!

Cheers - Snow.