• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fallen Angel Sparkling Cyser question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dani4FallenAngel

NewBee
Registered Member
Yep you read that right we are looking at making our fourth batch of mead and I wondered as I stare at a picture my son Sparkling Apple Juice on my computer(don't know WHY I have a picture of his sparkling apple juice but after a couple of bottles of our Fallen Angel mead that New Year Night I can only image) "Champagne" bottle from New Years what would happen if I used a bottle of this (it isn't processed) and add enough water to fill my 1 gal container (figured I would go small so if it turns out bad not out a lot of cash) add the right amount of honey. A clove and a few cinnamon sticks and a couple hand-fulls of raisin what would this produce. Would it be a good drinkable Melomel or would nothing happened. Would I just make a gallon of water down sparkling apple juice or would it become a cyser?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Hello Dani4FallenAngel, welcome to the GotMead? forums!

As long as the sparkling cider has no other preservatives, I'm sure it will ferment okay. When you pour it in a fermenter and mix in honey and spices, all the CO2 bubble out and it will be essentially flat and the fermentation will get going. My thought is that if the sparkling stuff costs more money than regular apple juice, you'll be paying more than you need to for the juice, but other than that it should work fine.

If you do use one bottle of cider in a gallon, the apple flavor will be quite light. I like more apple in mine.

If you have not checked out the NewBee Guide, it is good reading.

Medsen

Last edited:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I split this off the original thread so as not to hijack the OP's conversation.

Dani4FallenAngel

NewBee
Registered Member
Medsen,
Thank you for your reply it actually is the same price if not cheaper then apple juice is right now (my husband and I discovered that we really messed up not heading out to Lousiburg this past fall and their fresh juice) Now for the 2nd part of my question with using the Sparkling would I shorten the time needed for it to become a good apple mead or would I still want let it fermate for two months, bottle it and hide it away for a year?

DaleP

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2008
Webster Groves, Mo
The best cyser is made with apple juice (sweet cider) and honey with yeast and nutrient thrown in. I like to use 3 gallons cider and 5 pounds of a light wildflower honey, with champaign yeast. Carbinate with honey or table sugar. And Louisburg cider makes a very good cider/cyser!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns