• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Stealth Meadmaker Hookup in Scenic Cabazon, CA

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, Sandman was in the general area today and since Xixist lives in that neck of the woods as well we decided on a meet up at Hadley's in Cabazon, CA.

We met up at about noon and shared some meads, chatted for a while and had a great time. We pulled round back of Hadley's and broke out bottles of our mead to share. Sandman had some very nice six-month old Star Thistle varietal mead and a great Strawberry, Vanilla, Kiwi Melometh that shows tremendous potential for aging and integrating and is darned tasty already! Great job man.

I brought some of Oskaarz Smooth Sweet Sack, and my Southwestern Cherry Cyser to share as well. We're all looking forward to Xixist's date melomel finishing up as we heard great things about it!

It was great meeting some fellow meadmakers, sharing stories and sharing some very tasty meads together. Thanks guys for the great time.

Cheers, Oskaar

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Damn, I'm the most isolated of all the contiguous lower 48 (according to the GM Member Map) and wish I could meet up with some of the peeps here. I thought I was going to be able to make it to the Mazer cup but that has fallen through .....*sigh*.....

Someday I'll be able to travel again damnit! Wish I could have been there.

:cheers:
Wade

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Totally dude! We'll miss you, but I'm sure we'll see you soon!

Cheers, Pete

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
If I'm still looking for a job this summer, I'm sure I could convince my wife to take some time off from her vacation to travel up to Idaho. We liked our short stay there about 5 years ago (near Tetons & Yellowstone), very pretty country.

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
The only thing better than drinking mead is drinking it with friends. Thanks Sandman and PBakulic. The mead tasting was a delight. I found myself craving more of that pomegranate mead. It's flavors were captivating and memorable, and that smoky-orange color was unique... loved it.
I would advise all meadmakers to become familiar with their nearby mazers and find time to make contact. the Gotmead mazer map is the greatest tool, (Thanks Vicky), but use it wisely.. you'll find yourself booking tickets to Australia.
Looking forward to the next tasting. Xixist

Last edited:

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
OK, I'm finally back home and online again. It was pretty cool to finally be able to meet up with a couple of other meadmakers and share a few samples. I had a great time as well. Although I've got to admit, the location/conditions were a bit reminiscent of my college days hanging around the tailgate sharing what we all had brought. Especially while keeping an eye out for any passing authority figures. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to get together guys. Totally worth the trip on my end. Of course I'm also glad to hear my meads were so well received. I'm stashing the rest of that Straw-nilla Kiwi until next year to see how it integrates. Being always the more critical reviewer of my meads than anyone else, it's always nice to hear unbiased opinions.

Pete, that sack your brought was great. I'll definitely be putting it on my list of brews to make.

Xixist, I'll be keeping an eye out for updates on that date mead as well. It sounds like it has great potential.

Oh... BTW, the honeys I'm using in my "Honey Test" are Avacado, Cactus, Camelthorn, and Buckwheat. I've never done anything with any of them before so I'm very curious as to how they'll turn out. They're all in secondary now and slowly starting to cear a bit.

I'll be sure to post the results of that one next winter when I bottle them. In the meantime I'm off to rack a few meads...

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I currently have a one gallon batch of Cactus and Avocado going as well...also in secondary, but much closer to bottling. I know at last racking they were both very interesting.

The flavor of the Avocado Mead is slightly odd, almost not sure how to explain it, but not quite like avocados taste...just interesting. The Cactus Mead almost seems like a "nice" clover honey to me at this point...not overly pronounced in any varietal aromas or flavors, but overall nice and smooth.

I too (if anyone cares to hear) will update when they are bottled and ready...both of mine are light sack strength and will be still.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns